Old Army BP ignorant - requesting some help please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BloodyThumb

Bearcat
Greetings.

Looking for some help here please. I saw another recent similar thread and started to just post this there, but as this is a little different I decided to start another thread.

I am trying to determine the current value of a gun that I have. I have a person who has been trying to get me to sell this to him for quite some time, and finally did succeed in getting me to discuss it. I had initially intended to give this to a relative, but he now has decided that he wants something else that I have, so I am considering selling it to this individual.

I am NOT attempting to sell this here, only to seek help in setting a value to work with in a local sale.

This is a Ruger Old Army, 5.5" stainless steel, fixed sight. It is new, unfired, unmolested, with box (plastic) and all original contents. It has been literally sitting in my safe for somewhere around 20 years give or take. I took it in as part of a trade for an over-under and intended to shoot it with my grandkids more for education than anything else. That wound up happening with a different revolver and this one was never used. I kept it all this time thinking I would eventually give it to family.

I see a WIDE range of prices at online auction sites.

Looking for input from those who have experience with these.

Many Thanks in advance,

BT

Johnnu2

Hunter
There are a lot of variables at play these days, but I would peg that Old Army at around $600

IMHO,

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the shorter barrel,, a more uncommon variation, that's in much shorter production numbers, AND higher demand,, The value would be worth more than $600. I think the current FAIR market value would be closer to $1000.00

Latest RENE Price Guide doesn't list this exact variation, but the highest-priced stainless gun listed is the 5-1/2" with adjustable sights (extremely rare) at $880.

Rclark

Hunter
About 8 years ago, I paid $600 for my SS ROA 5 1/2". Paid $800 for a blued 5 1/2" awhile back. So $800-$1000 is not unreasonable in today's market. That's my opinion.

G2

Hunter
The 5.5" guns are ~$1000 +/- $100

The 1,800+ are freaks, are they really out there selling for that? :roll:

$600 for any OA these days is the bottom, One can take it apart and net that for the parts.

Then there is the Grandpa Biden effect, gun prices seem to be all over the place. :wink:

All MY Opinion.

G2

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Latest RENE Price Guide doesn't list this exact variation, but the highest-priced stainless gun listed is the 5-1/2" with adjustable sights (extremely rare) at $880.

Does anyone have a picture of this gun? A model #?

Never seen one, myself.

FWIW; I built one, because I wanted one.

G2

Hunter
But with all that said, One of our own members here has a nice example on GB right now that is at $1,700... :shock:

I think it needs to be noted that Wes is a trusted seller, here, ebay & Gun Broker, that probably helps in achieving a premium sales price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/906525347

G2 said:
But with all that said, One of our own members here has a nice example on GB right now that is at $1,700... :shock:

I think it needs to be noted that Wes is a trusted seller, here, ebay & Gun Broker, that probably helps in achieving a premium sales price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/906525347

I was going to point that out.

That's two examples of the gun the OP asked for a value of. Both taking into account the "invisible hand of the marketplace"/supply and demand.

Those are actual values, established by a willing buyer and a willing seller. Not conjecture.

Rclark

Hunter
Except those prices are on the 'Internet' where there seems to be always someone in the world to pay a premium (P.T. Barnum had it right).... Local sells are much different from what I've seen.

. . . and just because someone pays a relatively high price for something doesn't necessarily mean that's what all similar items are "worth". It just means that a given particular item found a single buyer willing to pay the asking price.

As has been mentioned here repeatedly, it's the buyer who, in the long run, establishes what something is "worth" . . . not the seller.

Remember that the RENE Price Guide lists prices established by Chet15 in his annual survey as those prices a "collector" might be willing to pay for something, not an actual record of sale.

"It just means that a given particular item found a single buyer willing to pay the asking price."

This auction started at a penny and there was no reserve. It isn't really a matter of one buyer willing to pay an asking price.

The one currently being auctioned is at over $2400 now. There are evidently several people bidding who think it's worth more than $800 or $1000.

Look, I'm not saying that the OP should price his at whatever the winning bid is at auction. But if he prices his at $600 or 800, as some here have suggested, he's leaving a lot of money on the table.

woodsy

Blackhawk
As the old saying goes, "location, location, location". An online auction pays no attention to that. I bought a Santa Ana 1858 black powder revolver, in New Hampshire, for $95. That's one of the best-made BP versions ever made, and I got it for about 1/3 the price of any online offering. Wasn't a Ruger, but compare the prices. Online stuff is ridiculous.

Johnnu2

Hunter
contender said:
Due to the shorter barrel,, a more uncommon variation, that's in much shorter production numbers, AND higher demand,, The value would be worth more than $600. I think the current FAIR market value would be closer to $1000.00

I actually had no idea of the value so I posted what I thought was a 'low ball' number just to get the team to start helping the new OP. It worked ....

J. :)

People here crack me up . Where's my popcorn? :p

A number of these revolvers sold in the $1000-1200 range on GB, about 15 years ago. I know, because I was considering selling one of mine. As always, the devil is in the details: NIB or not, case/papers or not, etc.

It doesn't matter if an individual poster here would "pay that sort of money," or not. :roll: What matters is that there are people who will pay that sort of money, for what they want. :idea:

I haven't seen a Ruger Old Army for sale locally in about 15 years. Say what you want about Gunbroker and/or the Internet, but for many of us it's the only place to find the specific firearms that we want…

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Yes , there is wide variation .

FWIW , various 7.5's are running $700- 900 .

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Ruger did not produce the 5.5" very long. Nor many. $2,000 seems crazy. But, you don't see them every day. An unfired, new 5.5" may be worth it.

arfmel said:
"It just means that a given particular item found a single buyer willing to pay the asking price."

This auction started at a penny and there was no reserve. It isn't really a matter of one buyer willing to pay an asking price.

The one currently being auctioned is at over $2400 now. There are evidently several people bidding who think it's worth more than $800 or $1000.

Look, I'm not saying that the OP should price his at whatever the winning bid is at auction. But if he prices his at $600 or 800, as some here have suggested, he's leaving a lot of money on the table.

But the point is that in an auction the bids go up as individuals express their opinions on the "value" of an item. They drop out as follow-up bids exceed their perceived "value" until only the person with the highest valuation of the item is left and wins the auction. The competition aspect of auctions can cloud one's judgement in such cases.

And the definition of a successful sale is when both the seller and the buyer walk away happy, regardless of the final price. JMHO :)