Old Army - Before I post I need to determine the values

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sudsy

Bearcat
I have a 1973 brass framed NIB with papers and nipple wrench Old Army serial # 149-069##, and a standard blued Old Army I bought new never shot and use as a shooter, has less than 100 rounds through it so really nice condition.
I'm thinning the collection so would like to part with both and pick up a shooter in Stainless

I've finding prices all over the place, from a high of $2,100 for the brass frame (which is nuts) to a low of $400 for the blued model (which I'm assuming is shot out or corroded)

Is there a good source for figuring out the values here, including the right price for a stainless version to shoot ??

Brass Ruger Old Army.jpg

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Average the COMPLETED auction prices on Gun Broker.
Buyers will likely want confirmation that the brass frame was installed at the factory.
Is the end label still on that box and can you post a picture of that please?
Have you ordered the letter from Ruger?

Sudsy

Bearcat
And I have never been able to figure out how to find the "Sold For" prices on Gun Broker
Where the #%&#$ are they ??

hittman

Staff member
It just brought up 194 items for me. I signed in my account, went Advanced, clicked on Completed Items and typed in Ruger Old Army in the Searched Words box.

Sudsy

Bearcat
It just brought up 194 items for me. I signed in my account, went Advanced, clicked on Completed Items and typed in Ruger Old Army in the Searched Words box.
What the He!!
I've tried shutting down the adblockers
Refreshed a few times with different settings
Same $#%#$ thing

This is why I don't use Gun Broker (besides the taxes and fee's)

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, the brass framed gun would need verifying to make it more valuable. To do this,, the "letter" is what you can get from Ruger by paying them $10 to verify how it was shipped. Look up "Ruger Records Dept" and you can get the form to fill out to mail it in. Give it a few weeks and you'll get a letter back saying when it was made, what model it left the factory as, and where it was shipped to.
A correct model info for the brass framed Old Army would be; BP-7B.
The only designation on any shipping paperwork would be the stamp on the brown cardboard shipper. It would show it as a BP-7B or just a BP-7.
As to value,, the RENE price guide says a lettered BP-7B ANIB, would be worth about $1000.00. That price is what to expect one collector would pay another collector for the gun.

GunBroker does have a way to see what actually sold if you follow the instructions above. But yes,, I do believe you have to be registered with them to do the "Advanced" search.

contender

Ruger Guru
Double check your serial number,, I THINK the prefix should be "140" & not "149". And if we had the complete serial number,, it could be looked up in Dougans book that has a reference guide to the brass framed guns. If you PM me with the complete number,, I can check the book.

Sudsy

Bearcat
GunBroker does have a way to see what actually sold if you follow the instructions above. But yes,, I do believe you have to be registered with them to do the "Advanced" search.
I am registered, have made a handful of parts purchases there over the years

contender

Ruger Guru
Good luck on the brassie. Check your PM's.

I wonder why you aren't able to access the GB Advanced section & see completed sales. I just used it a few days ago w/o issue.

MAYBE,, just MAYBE,, (and this is a wild guess from a guy who's not very computer savvy,) you didn't "highlight" the "completed" side of the search page. It's kind hard to see, but it looks like an old style file card with a tab top. You have to put the cursor over the word "completed" & click on that, then type in your search info.
I say that because it's taken me a few times to remember that little step.

Sign in on Gunbroker, click on Advanced (at the top right of Search), click on Completed Items (at top just below Advanced Search). type in Ruger Old Army and to the right select Exact Phrase then click on Search.

I did that and I am seeing 30 on the first page. Look closely, some have been sold and some have not. The listing is "Completed" so it will show ones that did not sell the first time around. Look for ones that show the number of bids and have been completed, those are the ones that have been sold.