Ok time to show my ignorance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Russ7777

Bearcat
Ok it is time to show my ignorance. I am primarily an auto-pistol guy, although I like wheel guns also.
What is the difference between a redhawk and a blackhawk revolver?

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Redhawk is a double action revolver looking similar to Smith & Wesson double action police revolvers. Swing out cylinder. Similar to what Barney Fife carried.

Blackhawk is a single action revolver looking like the Colt revolver that John Wayne carried in his Western movies.

Both are good guns.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
These are Redhawks

Redhawk4445-001.jpg

These are Blackhawks

Ruger41Pair003.jpg

Pal Val

Buckeye
Two points of clarification:

- The only stupid question is the one not asked.

- Ignorance is easy to eliminate by simply asking questions.

This is why I like the ? mark. It solves a lot of problems.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It is generally held that when one doesn't know the difference...

one must go out and buy one of each, and they will forever provide the answer!

Rclark

Hunter
one must go out and buy one of each, and they will forever provide the answer!
Right ... and then sale off the DA, keep the nice SA (Blued of course) and buy another SA ;) .

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
Russ7777":2mq45ua9 said:
Ok it is time to show my ignorance. I am primarily an auto-pistol guy, although I like wheel guns also.
What is the difference between a redhawk and a blackhawk revolver?

The biggest difference is how you load them.

The red hawk is probably more like what your average Joe thinks of when he thinks revolver. You can use a speed loader with it.

Blackhawk are awesome, but they are an acquired taste. You can not use a speed loader. Each round must be loaded and removed one by one. Which is just part of what a single action revolver is. They shoot awesome. But it takes some time to reload them.

Given that you can't use a speed loader or moon clips the tacticool factor is zero. Which is what I like best about them.

mykeal

Single-Sixer
Not a stupid question at all. Rest assured that, at one time or another, EVERYONE on this forum did NOT know the answer to that question.

rafiol

Bearcat
Hammer said:

Similar to what Barney Fife carried.

It may be similar to what Barney Fife carried – but since he was limited carrying only one round, he may as well have been carrying a Contender.

It is ALSO similar to what Dirty Harry carried but Harry had six shots…"or only five? Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement…"

gc70

Bearcat
demo_slug":1h5duifw said:
Given that you can't use a speed loader or moon clips the tacticool factor is zero.

It may not be tacticool, but reloading a SA makes you look a lot calmer, collected, and measured than dumping a cylinder of empties out of a DA and plopping in a speed loader.

Kanook

Buckeye
Given that you can't use a speed loader or moon clips the tacticool factor is zero.
I've used an M1 carbine 15 round mag to help speed load my 30 carbine blackhawk. Didn't work as well when I used a 1911 mag to load my 45 acp blackhawk.