OK new to auto's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shyoldman

Bearcat
I have reloaded 1000"s or rounds for revolvers, but just started for auto's. I am trying to load fro .380,9mm,40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Have 9mm working good in a new SR9, and in the 380 and 45 am having extraction problems.
The shells load and fire but then the extractor does not grab the shell to pull it out.
I have loaded all to OAL specs and .2 gr off of max according to my Lyman book.
Any suggestions?
Also some of the 380 get a bulge above the rim and will not load. To much crimp collapsing case?

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
On the 380 - the bulge above the rim. Assuming these were once fired cases, they were fired in a chamber that did not support this area and allowed it to expand and bulge, and your sizing die does not come down far enough to size the bulged area. If your die is set to just contact the shell holder, you can grind some off the bottom of the die so you can crank it down more so it will size that area. It is possible the bulged cases are not reloadable.

For the 45 ACP, have you tried factory ammo ? Does it extract ? In my experience, failure to extract may result from
1. a broken extractor, then nothing should extract
2. too light a load, the slide is not retracing enough to extract
3. or too heavy a load that causes the case to stick in the chamber
4. a realy dirty chamber can cause the case to stick and not be extracted

Shyoldman

Bearcat
Thanks for the tips, I bet it is a dirty chamber, it was my father's gun and had not been shot since he died 4 yrs ago. I will start with a REAL good cleaning