OK I'm ignorant about the Security Six.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pathfinder

Bearcat
I just picked up a blued Security Six.. Great gun. I've read some posts that talked about differences between the 150 and 151. What are these #'s? I thought they were serial #s but my serieal # is I-65XXXX .

The tang is a square butt not the curves version. In a S&W it's either a square butt /round butt.

What am I missing?

Thanks for the help.
8)

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Did you find that serial number at the bottom of the grip frame Pathfinder?

This would be underneath the heel of the grip and could be hidden if you have a full coverage grip.

gwnorth

Bearcat
Security six and service six are square butt. The speed six is round butt. As mentioned the serial # is on the bottom of the grip frame.

wwb

Hunter
For the square butt frames, the 150 prefix has a different shape than all the following models. If you have a 150-XXXX, replacement grips are near impossible to come by.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
The numbers don't match any of the Sixes Pathfinder. Doesn't match the Redhawk, SRH, nor SP101. The only serials that are even close are that of the GP100's and there are no dashes that close to the beginning of the number.

A pic would help greatly.

Not doubting you at all here, just interested.

added explanation on dashes

wwb

Hunter
Pathfinder":3bfluctj said:
I'm looking at the bottom of the grip frame and these are the #'s I found.

Starts with I-65xxxx

maybe I can show some pics.

Sounds like a Colt.

dbarale

Obsolete
Just to make sure, here's a Security Six, with adjustable sights and square butt:

Ruger_Sec_6_1.jpg

And here's a Speed Six with fixed sights and round butt (ignore the lanyard ring, it is not usually found on these guns):

ruger_Speed_6.jpg

gwnorth

Bearcat
All the security, service and speed six serial numbers should be in the form xxx-xxxxx, beginning with 150-00000 in 1972 and the last year of production in 1988 began with 162-39887.

That's from Ruger's web page, but I don't know if any of the funky export versions for the UK and Europe had different serial numbers? Of course, then the gun should also have some import markings on it from when it came back to the USA.

chet15

Hawkeye
gwnorth":2h7s4lc5 said:
That's from Ruger's web page, but I don't know if any of the funky export versions for the UK and Europe had different serial numbers? Of course, then the gun should also have some import markings on it from when it came back to the USA.

Don't know of any yet anyway.
Chet15

wixedmords

Blackhawk
If someone had modded the frame, or done some grinding, the first two numbers may have been ground off. Then the number make a little more sense, but there should be 5 numbers after the dash if it is a Six-series, unless there are some oddities out there.

A picture would tell quite a bit.

Terry T

Buckeye
Photos would be a big help.

Just to throw in an exotic idea - I've seen some counterfeit Webleys made up in small shops in Pakistan that would pass for originals except for some minor details. Rugers were sold to India so examples would be available in the region. :shock:

Another thought is that the number you're looking at is a police inventory number rather than the gun's ser. no. Adding an additional 'rack' number is a common practice among police agencies.

Just my $0.02 worth,
Terry T

Pathfinder

Bearcat
Ok guys I'm an idiot. I was trying to do this from memory and that was a big mistake. :oops: I must need new freakin glasses.

Anyway.............I rechecked the gun in the light and the serial # is 155-65XXX. I don't know if the 155 as oppsed to 150 or 151 is an issue. Please enlighten me. Here are some pics:

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Please accept my appology, for my self induced ignorance..

Is this right now?

Terry T

Buckeye
OK, that's better. :D

Of the 1.25M six series made, only the first approx. 95K have the odd, "lowback" grip frame. The ser. no. started with 150-00001 and ended somewhere around 162-547XX. As one can see, each time 99,999 were produced, the prefix (the number in front of the dash) was increased by 1.

With the 155- prefix, yours is in the middle of the production, made in 1979. Production began in 1972 and ended in 1988. Yours has the much more common "highback" grip frame. You should have no trouble finding grips to suit you. The correct grips are on the adj. sight sq. butt gun in "dbarale's" post. I've found grips on e-bay and gunbroker.com.

Yours appears to be a nice clean example of one of the more common variations. A very useful and serviceable piece.

Terry T

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Pathfinder":1w808vmj said:
Thanks Terry. That helps alot. I found some stocks for it. I waiting to get them. I'll post more pics then.

Cheers
Jim

Great gun Pathfinder. You have bought the most underated medium frame revolver ever made. Great handling and a excellent shooter.

You won't be disappointed.
Congrats,
roaddog28
Police Service Six 4 inch
GP100 4 inch Stainless

wixedmords

Blackhawk
She's a beaut Pathfinder. Lots of grips available for that one.

I have a 6" stainless in the 155 serial. I have a 159 serial that is identical to yours. You aren't likely to shoot yours out.

Don't worry about the memory. Its an adult forum, lots of slack given.

Great guns, a perfect package built by Ruger. Enjoy it. :)

Latest posts