ok, im hard to please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hunter
Funny how things can be interpreted negatively or positively.

Dressing to impress can be interpreted as putting on airs

I’ve never been accused of either. Lol.

But I am almost never the worst dressed in the room and I do remove my hat indoors.

I agree
I had a friend who always wore dress pants shirt and a tie. His feeling was that he had never been somewhere that would not let him in because he had a tie on. But he could always take it off if he gad too.

I am in the. “Don’t judge lest yea be judged camp”. I’m a tradesman who works in sometimes very hostile environments. If I look ok and don’t smell bad. Sometimes thats the best I can do.
I agree eveled,

Some days I can't help but look scraggly after working on someone's fireplace or chimney....but I try to clean up before going to the next job. I know it goes against the current grain... but having short hair... no big beard. (I do have a mustache), no metal things sticking out ones nose, lips, or even ears makes a difference...or even 'ink' drilled into your visible skin, you learn other things when going up to a customers house... no sun glasses, no hat, and keep your hands out of your pockets.... that last one I'm not making up... there was a time when it was very rude to talk to someone with your hands in your pockets.... I got a rather big repair job from a older southern lady many years ago because the previous guy had come to the door with a hat on and his hands in his pockets.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
thought id treat the wife to an exclusive date.
many know we are in hard times caring for mom in ct, while wife tends to the home in va. our mo yardman walked off the job in a double cross in may to tend the farm; so, when I got here, I had to bush hog our yard of 6 months of growth and have 2 weeks to clean up the clubhouse and range for the shoot. it was so high I couldn't see the clothes line. now im making hay, its hot, devils walking canes are nailing me and I just parked the beast and said to sarah....lets do something.
I heard about it, so we decided to check out bass pro's resort in branson. well, the place is as impressive as it can get, but hold on to your wallets. ok ok its a tourist thing so its expected, so we sucked it up and had a great time. hey, my date even let me bring the shotgun to shoot a game at their shooting facility. I felt like I was in heaven. not one blade of grass out of place.

but heres the thing. I grew up that you dress the part for the occasion. we dressed to compliment each other and to give respect to the facility for their hard work to keep it impressive.
but the other guests aren't.
is this a generational thing? fat people in skin tight leotards with every wrinkle visible to the world? hats on backwards and scraggly facial haired men in flip flops?
I mean, this wasn't walmart. it was a top notch resort with shuttles from place to place.
and sure enough, young staff with faces buried in smart phones where everyone assumes you have one too.
we stepped back and took in what appeared to be the classic dumbing down of America right before our eyes. it was sad in a way. its as if there isn't anywhere we can go to escape this. we actually realized we were the classic old people that everyone looks at and says....aaaawh, aren't they cute? I mean my wife is a knock out and I clean up good when we hit the town and im not afraid to say it. matter of fact, there was time when men were suppose to brag on their wives out of respect or with fear of death for otherwise.
so there we were. in our 17 year old car and all these others are in their brand new cars and suvs with t shirts and cut offs.
I sorta felt embarrassed when I saw grass stuck and dragging under our freshly washed car that came from our driveway...then quickly realized no one probably noticed it. it made it 80 miles! so did the wet mud grit from the driveway too. oh well.
so, if you don't mind paying 12.00 a game for skeet or trap, but want to do it at a facility that matches a pga golf club...try bass pro. 9000 acres of fun for all. and I mean for all. its not for exclusive guests. anyones money is taken equally.

granted, it was a mission success. good food. wife was happy. I was happy. we made a lasting memory exclusively just for us.
now back to bush hogging. ya know todo? there no place like home....and our little shoot and hoot.
Yup! younger generations are short on manners, etiquette, breeding & decorum. Dress like they are homeless and look the same way in their personal grooming. According to liberals "fat is where its at"! Not allowed to criticize anyone, not pc. It is what it is(IMHO)

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I had a friend who always wore dress pants shirt and a tie. His feeling was that he had never been somewhere that would not let him in because he had a tie on. But he could always take it off if he gad too.

I am in the. “Don’t judge lest yea be judged camp”. I’m a tradesman who works in sometimes very hostile environments. If I look ok and don’t smell bad. Sometimes thats the best I can do.
when you are working I agree, my son does HVAC, but when you are done, no excuse not to clean up(IMHO)

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I agree

I agree eveled,

Some days I can't help but look scraggly after working on someone's fireplace or chimney....but I try to clean up before going to the next job. I know it goes against the current grain... but having short hair... no big beard. (I do have a mustache), no metal things sticking out ones nose, lips, or even ears makes a difference...or even 'ink' drilled into your visible skin, you learn other things when going up to a customers house... no sun glasses, no hat, and keep your hands out of your pockets.... that last one I'm not making up... there was a time when it was very rude to talk to someone with your hands in your pockets.... I got a rather big repair job from a older southern lady many years ago because the previous guy had come to the door with a hat on and his hands in his pockets.
You only get to make one "first" impression. Make it good.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter

you friend was right.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
We blame the “new generation” for this … but, who raised them to be this way? OUR generation!
Not mine, speak for yourself. AT 72, i have 42,37,32 son and daughters. they know exactly what is expected of them and that includes how they look. If they do not like the my rules or requirements they are free to ignore them anytime they want...someplace else.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
When I'm home. by my self, I dress the way I please.
If I'm going out (off property) I make sure I have showered, and have clean clothes on.
That way it doesn't make any difference who you meet up with.

The one thing that REALLY gets to me are the people who talk over the top of anyone
that is in their "discussion group". You can see an example of those people on virtually
any "live" TV program (discussion, "news", weather, any program with two or more people).

I have two grand kids that are going that way. When they are over (usually at my daughters)
and we have a meal, I have on more than one occasion, gotten up, gone into the next room
to finish my meal, and then go directly home. - - - I seems to be slowly working, they are
not near as bad as they were a few years ago.
When my children visit I tell them NO phones at the table, period. If the call or text is that important they should be there, not at my table.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
If I find myself judging others for their dress or appearance then perhaps the real problem is looking back from the bathroom mirror. I remember, at a very early age, being told: "Judge not lest ye be judged."
Like button x100!

Things that are important to some aren't to others. That's OK. To do certain things or dress a certain way solely to gain the approval of others is crazy. Too many people in this world struggle too hard trying to impress others or win their approval. It's unhealthy. Stop worrying about what others think of you; some won't like you no matter what you do.

While I don't go out in public dressed like some folks we've all seen in a Walmart. I really don't worry about it. At least they have clothes on! I dress appropriate to what I think I need to. You dress appropriate to what you think you need to. Stop judging people. Be happy with your life. You can’t base your happiness on how other people are. Life's too short. You'll get ulcers.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Like button x100!

Things that are important to some aren't to others. That's OK. To do certain things or dress a certain way solely to gain the approval of others is crazy. Too many people in this world struggle too hard trying to impress others or win their approval. It's unhealthy. Stop worrying about what others think of you; some won't like you no matter what you do.

While I don't go out in public dressed like some folks we've all seen in a Walmart. I really don't worry about it. At least they have clothes on! I dress appropriate to what I think I need to. You dress appropriate to what you think you need to. Stop judging people. Be happy with your life. You can’t base your happiness on how other people are. Life's too short. You'll get ulcers.
I politely disagree. many times your appearance etc is very important in what you do and how your are perceived. My son does HVAC. He tells me all the time that customers do not want the scruffy, bearded tattoo on the neck and head, dishelved "early rerelease" look tech in their house. I don't blame them.

harley08

Single-Sixer
byBut this is what makes America so great! My wife is from Europe, and when her parents come to visit us, her mom (very nice lady) always says how nice it is people can just be themselves and not worry about what other people think. In Europe everyone wants to look nice before going out, which is fine. But for my mother in law, it’s nice to come here and not be so concerned with outward appearances. Especially if you are just going to the grocery store.

Only in America.

I guess I just don’t judge people so harshly. We went out to dinner last Friday night. I put on a clean shirt, but I can honestly say, I didn’t pay attention to the way other people were dressed at all. It was a fancy restaurant at the mall, and after dinner we walked around some. Lots of people, and it was pretty fun, but I certainly didn’t look down on anyone for the way they were dressed.
Just like you cannot judge people by the color of their skin - you cannot judge people by what they are wearing!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Just like you cannot judge people by the color of their skin - you cannot judge people by what they are wearing!
We judge people every single day. It is called threat assessment. Everything is important, including skin color, clothes, actions, words behavior. Situational awareness is not racism, it is called using you brains!(IMHO)

harley08

Single-Sixer
We judge people every single day. It is called threat assessment. Everything is important, including skin color, clothes, actions, words behavior. Situational awareness is not racism, it is called using you brains!(IMHO)
What's shin color have to do about it. Red - Black - White - Green - Orange? How about just Human?

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
What's shin color have to do about it. Red - Black - White - Green - Orange? How about just Human?
If i am in an area that is known for crime and the stats show that a certain group is the predominate one involved, and that group is present, I will pay a bit more attention. If I am in an area that is predominately inhabited by one group and another shows up, regardless of which group it is, I will pay more attention. Try the FBI stats. FBI.Gov, the data is there, vetted & proven, requires correlation and distillation of the raw data for population size etc. and it does not care whether you are PC or not. It just is what it is. Which is why liberals do not like it. Situational Awareness and Threat Assessment is not PC and never has been. Only a fool would make it so. After spending 12-13 yrs in DOD/DIA/DSE, I learned from the best too ignore PC garbage, and deal with the data at hand! It has served me well.(IMHO)

Rum River

Bearcat
you cannot judge people by what they are wearing
Actually, I believe I can.

I have been in fine restaurants where diners are wearing T shirts and shorts, but they are clean and well kept. No problem. Have also been in that establishment where others were wearing dirty and torn clothing with stained baseball hats worn backwards over greasy hair. Come on, have a little pride in yourself.

H Richard

Bearcat
An employer has a right (and a duty to his business) to establish a dress code, and to adhere to it. We were in a nice Italian restaurant recently, and several of the male and female waiters wore long sleeve T-Shirts under their regular shirt (to cover up their tattoo's), and all long pants.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Actually, I believe I can.

I have been in fine restaurants where diners are wearing T shirts and shorts, but they are clean and well kept. No problem. Have also been in that establishment where others were wearing dirty and torn clothing with stained baseball hats worn backwards over greasy hair. Come on, have a little pride in yourself.
Must be how we define fine restaurant. I have never been in a "fine" restaurant that allowed t shirts, hats etc. Most wanted some form of collared shirt, even a golf shirt type. In some areas like Fla. etc shorts are unfortunately common .

kcsteve

Bearcat
If i am in an area that is known for crime and the stats show that a certain group is the predominate one involved, and that group is present, I will pay a bit more attention. If I am in an area that is predominately inhabited by one group and another shows up, regardless of which group it is, I will pay more attention. Try the FBI stats. FBI.Gov, the data is there, vetted & proven, requires correlation and distillation of the raw data for population size etc. and it does not care whether you are PC or not. It just is what it is. Which is why liberals do not like it. Situational Awareness and Threat Assessment is not PC and never has been. Only a fool would make it so. After spending 12-13 yrs in DOD/DIA/DSE, I learned from the best too ignore PC garbage, and deal with the data at hand! It has served me well.(IMHO)
EXACTELY ..If it looks like a duck…walks like a duck...it’s probably a duck.

Latest posts