ok, im hard to please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
thought id treat the wife to an exclusive date.
https://bigcedar.com/attractions/shooting-academy/
many know we are in hard times caring for mom in ct, while wife tends to the home in va. our mo yardman walked off the job in a double cross in may to tend the farm; so, when I got here, I had to bush hog our yard of 6 months of growth and have 2 weeks to clean up the clubhouse and range for the shoot. it was so high I couldn't see the clothes line. now im making hay, its hot, devils walking canes are nailing me and I just parked the beast and said to sarah....lets do something.
I heard about it, so we decided to check out bass pro's resort in branson. well, the place is as impressive as it can get, but hold on to your wallets. ok ok its a tourist thing so its expected, so we sucked it up and had a great time. hey, my date even let me bring the shotgun to shoot a game at their shooting facility. I felt like I was in heaven. not one blade of grass out of place.

but heres the thing. I grew up that you dress the part for the occasion. we dressed to compliment each other and to give respect to the facility for their hard work to keep it impressive.
but the other guests aren't.
is this a generational thing? fat people in skin tight leotards with every wrinkle visible to the world? hats on backwards and scraggly facial haired men in flip flops?
I mean, this wasn't walmart. it was a top notch resort with shuttles from place to place.
and sure enough, young staff with faces buried in smart phones where everyone assumes you have one too.
we stepped back and took in what appeared to be the classic dumbing down of America right before our eyes. it was sad in a way. its as if there isn't anywhere we can go to escape this. we actually realized we were the classic old people that everyone looks at and says....aaaawh, aren't they cute? I mean my wife is a knock out and I clean up good when we hit the town and im not afraid to say it. matter of fact, there was time when men were suppose to brag on their wives out of respect or with fear of death for otherwise.
so there we were. in our 17 year old car and all these others are in their brand new cars and suvs with t shirts and cut offs.
I sorta felt embarrassed when I saw grass stuck and dragging under our freshly washed car that came from our driveway...then quickly realized no one probably noticed it. it made it 80 miles! so did the wet mud grit from the driveway too. oh well.
so, if you don't mind paying 12.00 a game for skeet or trap, but want to do it at a facility that matches a pga golf club...try bass pro. 9000 acres of fun for all. and I mean for all. its not for exclusive guests. anyones money is taken equally.

granted, it was a mission success. good food. wife was happy. I was happy. we made a lasting memory exclusively just for us.
now back to bush hogging. ya know todo? there no place like home....and our little shoot and hoot.

Some time in the past year, after 38 years of marriage, my wife said something about me wearing wrinkled shirts when we go out and that it reflects on her. I don't care that my shirt is wrinkled but if it reflects bad on her that matters and so now I make sure the shirt I wear when we are together is ironed. In many ways I'm a little slow on some of the important things in life.

Sounds like y'all had a great time and the observations & distractions were more entertaining than a problem.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Well sir, I think you just saw the typical American attitude of "I'm me and I'll do as I please". This attitude has grown from 2 or 3 generations of poor parenting and nearly zero discipline. No concept of respect or consideration of what someone might think because everyone else is required by law to accept such crap.
When I was a kid, no one went to town in dirty clothes. There were exceptions such as a breakdown in the field that required an immediate trip to the parts store but mostly, if you went to town, you stopped at the house to change into clean clothes.
I was not until we started doing custom farming long distances away from home that we bent this rule a bit but even then, it was straight to get parts and back. These days, I see people getting out of nice vehicles looking like they just finished a shift of sorting garbage. I think some of these folks just want to draw attention to themselves by way of a disgusting, trashy appearance.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
In my Army days you only went off post in fatigues if you were on duty or going to and from quarters-and your boots had better be shined. You went on leave, flying, it was khakis or Class As. Nowadays...
One parent told me in his kids' high school they are only allowed to wear sneakers-shoes scuff up the floors. The girls are wearing shorts even in cooler weather.
I am 72, fairly trim and fit, all the erstwhile "senior citizens" with their spindly legs projecting from their shorts, the men wearing t-shirts to hide their paunches, the Henrietta Hippos in their Spandex....

Well sir, I think you just saw the typical American attitude of "I'm me and I'll do as I please".

But this is what makes America so great! My wife is from Europe, and when her parents come to visit us, her mom (very nice lady) always says how nice it is people can just be themselves and not worry about what other people think. In Europe everyone wants to look nice before going out, which is fine. But for my mother in law, it’s nice to come here and not be so concerned with outward appearances. Especially if you are just going to the grocery store.

Only in America.

I guess I just don’t judge people so harshly. We went out to dinner last Friday night. I put on a clean shirt, but I can honestly say, I didn’t pay attention to the way other people were dressed at all. It was a fancy restaurant at the mall, and after dinner we walked around some. Lots of people, and it was pretty fun, but I certainly didn’t look down on anyone for the way they were dressed.

contender

Ruger Guru
I truly understand where you are coming from Bob.

My Dad,, had a Dance & Charm" school prior to WWII,, where he taught ballroom dance,, and manners, etiquette, etc. So, we, (myself & my siblings,) were taught manners & respect all around.
A shirt gets tucked into pants, hats are removed inside, appearances are noticed,, and proper manners are expected.
And yet,, I also enjoy being relaxed. Yes,, I go barefoot a lot. And yes,, I wear sandals when shoes are required. And when Miss Penny & I go out,, depending upon the restaurant,, I dress accordingly. But daily,, I wear shorts,, & T-shirts. Often,, my T-shirt is one with my company logo on it. So, if I go to town,, & I'm working,, I'm in my work clothes. BUT,, my T-shirt is still always tucked in.
And at times,, I may be wearing camo pants, (wintertime,) & such,, while Miss Penny may be coming from work, and we meet in town,, and go to eat, prior to going home, (usually 20-25 miles away.) So, we are a little mis-matched occasionally.
BUT,, we do not bury our noses in our smphart phones,, and we try & appear as good as circumstances allow. When we plan a night out,, we dress accordingly,, such as the wonderful Saskatoon Restaurant in Greenville SC,, where it's an upscale fine dining experience. My hat is removed as I enter, and all my manners & good raising is quite apparent.
Yet,, even in such a place,, I see some of the same crap you saw at BASS Pro. We went there a few weeks back,, and a table full next to us,, had (2) kids. One, a girl,, about 12-13,, who could NOT sit down for any length of time. Up & down, walking around the table, interrupting the adults conversations, (there were 9 adults at the table,) walking all around the restaurant, etc. Food got served, and she'd get up, carrying her plate around etc. And the little boy,, about 7-8,, who had manners of a dog. He tried to eat food by burying his face in the plate,, and at one point,, it wasn't even his plate he was trying to bite food off of. He too was unruly in many of his actions.
Not one single adult tried to correct either childs behavior.

And I saw 11 guys in there,, wearing their hats at the table. Plus,, I saw very poor manners, dress,, etc.
Now this place is a dining experience,, with exotic dishes on the menu,, and not a cheap place. And we do enjoy going there 3-5 times a year.
It makes me proud that my Dad taught me manners & respect. Even when there are times I'm not totally dressed properly,, it's most often due to circumstances,, but I still ACT properly.

Sad to see what we are becoming.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
70+ years ago, my father told me:

1) you don't wear your hat indoors.....period.

2) a gentleman never leaves the house without shaving.

Thankfully, he never said anything about electric vehicles..... :)

Now, I stick to those 'regs', and really don't care if nobody else does....

IMHO,
J.

Mobuck said:
Well sir, I think you just saw the typical American attitude of "I'm me and I'll do as I please".

Yup. That and the failure to take any pride in one's appearance and deportment in public. Good manners are, or should be, important in any case, while there is a certain flexibility in manner of dress depending on the venue involved. The fact that many folks fail to recognize or accept these points says quite a lot about their upbringing IMHO. :roll:

JFB

Hunter
when I was working 14 hour shifts, going back to the motel to cleanup before getting something to eat would cut heavily into sleeping time. I didn't mind going to a good resturant straight from work.

ned

Single-Sixer
I too am appalled by some of it….pajama bottoms on commercial air flights and so on but

Had to laugh at a joke line I read….”some people are so judgmental, I can tell just by looking at them “

gunzo

Buckeye
Not saying all this isn't offending to older, well raised folks. But when we look a the big picture it's but a very small part of the problems we have as a nation.
It's a piece, a small one actually of so many things that are degraded, broken down, & ignored.

A small kettle of fish actually of what's wrong with everything that's totally messed up these days. But it's beginnings go back to some of the same misguidance that's the root.

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
I refuse to let someones appearance take away from a good meal in a restaurant. I also refuse to tuck my shirt in, I have to hide my pistol somewhere. As to flying in an airplane, I want to be comfortable so guess what, jeans and t shirt. Couldn't care less if someone takes their hat off inside. I wear a hat indoors on occasion. My wife wears shorts and flip flops when its nice out. Our money spends just like someone wearing a suit and tie.

bobski

Hunter
chefs are pros. they give you the best product with the best class and environment. thus, I respect their trade by dressing respectfully. its a way to salute ones trade.

dressing comfortably is one thing, but when everyone else is dressed one way and you aren't, your message is you get to do what you want, while others don't. not to respect others is well....(dis)respectful.

has anyone been to a funeral lately? holy cow.

RSIno1

Hunter
For my wife's 60th she wanted to go to Lawry's Prime Rib in Beverly Hills. She had gone there many times as a kid with her parents and liked it. We went a couple times after we were married but prefer Tam O'Shanter (same company -same menu). She insisted I wear a coat/tie when we went so I did. When we got there flip flops and Hawaiian shirts seemed to be the dress of the day. While to inside and wait staff were still formal and they wheeled that big silver cart to your table to slice off your cut of Prime Rib it just wasn't the same.

harley08

Single-Sixer
thought id treat the wife to an exclusive date.
many know we are in hard times caring for mom in ct, while wife tends to the home in va. our mo yardman walked off the job in a double cross in may to tend the farm; so, when I got here, I had to bush hog our yard of 6 months of growth and have 2 weeks to clean up the clubhouse and range for the shoot. it was so high I couldn't see the clothes line. now im making hay, its hot, devils walking canes are nailing me and I just parked the beast and said to sarah....lets do something.
I heard about it, so we decided to check out bass pro's resort in branson. well, the place is as impressive as it can get, but hold on to your wallets. ok ok its a tourist thing so its expected, so we sucked it up and had a great time. hey, my date even let me bring the shotgun to shoot a game at their shooting facility. I felt like I was in heaven. not one blade of grass out of place.

but heres the thing. I grew up that you dress the part for the occasion. we dressed to compliment each other and to give respect to the facility for their hard work to keep it impressive.
but the other guests aren't.
is this a generational thing? fat people in skin tight leotards with every wrinkle visible to the world? hats on backwards and scraggly facial haired men in flip flops?
I mean, this wasn't walmart. it was a top notch resort with shuttles from place to place.
and sure enough, young staff with faces buried in smart phones where everyone assumes you have one too.
we stepped back and took in what appeared to be the classic dumbing down of America right before our eyes. it was sad in a way. its as if there isn't anywhere we can go to escape this. we actually realized we were the classic old people that everyone looks at and says....aaaawh, aren't they cute? I mean my wife is a knock out and I clean up good when we hit the town and im not afraid to say it. matter of fact, there was time when men were suppose to brag on their wives out of respect or with fear of death for otherwise.
so there we were. in our 17 year old car and all these others are in their brand new cars and suvs with t shirts and cut offs.
I sorta felt embarrassed when I saw grass stuck and dragging under our freshly washed car that came from our driveway...then quickly realized no one probably noticed it. it made it 80 miles! so did the wet mud grit from the driveway too. oh well.
so, if you don't mind paying 12.00 a game for skeet or trap, but want to do it at a facility that matches a pga golf club...try bass pro. 9000 acres of fun for all. and I mean for all. its not for exclusive guests. anyones money is taken equally.

granted, it was a mission success. good food. wife was happy. I was happy. we made a lasting memory exclusively just for us.
now back to bush hogging. ya know todo? there no place like home....and our little shoot and hoot.
There's No place like home! (Didn't Dorthey say that?)

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
When I'm home. by my self, I dress the way I please.
If I'm going out (off property) I make sure I have showered, and have clean clothes on.
That way it doesn't make any difference who you meet up with.

The one thing that REALLY gets to me are the people who talk over the top of anyone
that is in their "discussion group". You can see an example of those people on virtually
any "live" TV program (discussion, "news", weather, any program with two or more people).

I have two grand kids that are going that way. When they are over (usually at my daughters)
and we have a meal, I have on more than one occasion, gotten up, gone into the next room
to finish my meal, and then go directly home. - - - I seems to be slowly working, they are
not near as bad as they were a few years ago.

eveled

Hunter
I had a friend who always wore dress pants shirt and a tie. His feeling was that he had never been somewhere that would not let him in because he had a tie on. But he could always take it off if he gad too.

I am in the. “Don’t judge lest yea be judged camp”. I’m a tradesman who works in sometimes very hostile environments. If I look ok and don’t smell bad. Sometimes thats the best I can do.

Last edited:

Latest posts