Oil & Rust

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fulldraw™

Bearcat
I am having an occasional problem with little rust spots developing on certain firearms that are stored inside my safe and I'm looking for a advice and solutions to fix this problem.

I never had such a problem at my previous residence where the safe was stored on concrete in the finished basement that was climate controlled.

The safe is a Ft. Knox model that weighs almost a ton and is located in my detached garage that is not climate controlled. The safe has a dehumidifier that is working and I've also placed the large model Eva-Dry inside to help out. Several firearms are stored in bags made by Sack-Ups that are silicone impregnated and are supposed to help eliminate rust problems.

I am very meticulous in maintaining my collection for firearms and I'm always looking for a better mousetrap to lubricate and protect them! I've been using Clenzoil to lubricate and protect my firearms for several years with good results up until this recent rust development. A gunsmith friend of mine really likes the Clenzoil product and it does seem to lubricate well, and leaves a lasting coating of oil that seems to stay where you out it.

I realize that when it comes to gun oils and their derivatives there is probably more solutions than there are problems, they all claim to be the best at everything and many claim that they are THE mil-spec official issued "Wonder Lube CLP" used over in the sand-box. I've never been a fan of the "CLP" products and their claims of do-it-all cleaning, lubrication, and protection. I've always felt that the individual products designed for each specific use were the way to go.

As is the case with the hype of advertising pitches for motor oil it is also the case with "gun oil" products...it is very, very difficult to test and evaluate these claims at the consumer level without sophisticated equipment.

I've seen dirty wet guns run just fine and clean dry guns not function at all! Lubrication for functionality is at least on a temporary basis is easily achieved. My dilemma is that I need something that is rock solid to protect against rust and corrosion short of dunking my collection in that pain in the butt to remove Cosmoline!

I've been scanning the net and looking for a better product and I've thought about trying a product called Eezox. I've seen some well done amateur tests that seem to indicate that Eezox does very well for anti-corrosion.

What say you?????????

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Jerry

contender

Ruger Guru
Well Jerry, I can say that Eezox is a very good gun protectant. Not as available in all gun shops as other brands,, but a very good product.
Here's a trick that might help.
After cleaning a gun,, a light coat of your favorite oil wiped on to where it only adds to the shine a bit. (All this w/o touching it with bare hands.) Next, a light coating of Minwax or Johnsons paste wax will seal things quite well. MANY gunsmiths,, use this trick on the guns they work on. In fact just the other day I was in a master gunsmiths custom shop and he had just finished a very rare antique double pistol, an engraved gun, built as a tiger killer from the back of an elephant. An odd rare piece. He was doing the wax treatment to it as we spoke. And one can of wax goes a long way.

P90

Single-Sixer
Eezox is all I ever use and I don't have any problems. Coat my CCW once a month with it and carry it every day and don't have any rust in the humid climate that I live in.

SAJohn

Hunter
The military has always been partial to cosmoline. In earlier days it was suspected that it took us a year to get going in a war because it took that long to clean the stuff off. (I have done it and it is a bear.)

I'm in agreement with our star ship captain. A good paste wax is tops. It looks best, it doesn't soak into the wood parts, handling doesn't mean immediate oil wiping, and the firearm takes great pics.

SAJohn

Fulldraw™

Bearcat
In my initial post I forgot to mention that the safe is elevated four inches from the floor for better ventilation. At my current residence the only real option for storing the safe is on the concrete floor of the detached garage. Inside the house would be much better but impossible because of the house layout.

The safe is a Ft. Knox Titan model that is 5 years old and when purchased I thought it to be the best quality built safe on the market. The seal on the door is in excellent shape.

Also I forgot to mention in my previous post that inside the safe I've always had a sacrificial piece bare metal to serve as an alert indicator to tip me off about any rust occurring. Oddly that piece of metal has never shown any signs of rust or corrosion at all. This early rust problem was only discovered during the obligatory and routine maintenance inspection wipe-down.

I realize that a metal box stored on a concrete floor subjected to the temperature fluctuations of a non climate controlled environment is a perfect place for rust to occur. I thought I had taken the appropriate measures to avoid this but clearly I need to make changes.

I've read the comments posted with people's thoughts, opinions, experiences with great interest and I really appreciate each of you taking the time and interest to share them!

I want to avoid if at all possible taking the Cosmoline route...it is such bear to remove! Johnson's paste wax will work too if left in the rubbed on NOT rubbed in polished state!

Here's my new plan of action designed to thwart the dastardly rust problem. I will replace the current dehumidifier with a newer and larger model, add a low watt light bulb, add a VCI plug protector, and get rid of the gun sack protector bags. Based upon what I have read elsewhere, and your comments, I will be trying some Eezox for it's anti-corrosion protection. I'm hoping that making these few small changes will be in the right direction!!!

Best Regards,

Jerry

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
I don't think you are dealing with an oil problem here. Any gun oil will eventually wash away if it is constantly soaked with moisture. It is not simply a matter of changing gun oils.

You mention that there is a dehumidifier in the safe? Do you mean a box of silica that absorbs moisture? If so, you must remove the silica periodically and heat it in the oven to dry it out, or else it won't do you any good. This method may not work too well in very humid conditions. Besides, there is a better solution. Most people including myself use an electric heating rod (under a variety of brand names) that keeps the moisture in the safe from condensing on the metal. I don't think it removes any moisture, but it keeps moisture from condensing on the metal. You may need to heat your safe a bit more under your humidity conditions. Its the condensation, not the oil.

Carry-Up

rooster59

Bearcat
If you can burn a small incandescent light bulb in the safe, it should raise the temp inside just enough to keep any moisture from ever condensing inside the safe. Bottom is best, maybe around 25watts.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I use Johnsyon's past wax on the tables of my band saw and drill press in the garage. No rust in three years.

deac45

Latest posts