Oh Wizened Ruger Gurus, Help With Correct Box

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M1Lover

Bearcat
Headed to the Mountain here to ask the Gurus about the correct box for my 1981 Speed Six. My stainless .357, 2-3/4" snubby Speed Six is like new. It appears unfired. But it came without the box. Its serial prefix is 157- which Ruger's website puts at 1981. Site moderator Hittman was kind enough to provide me with the catalog number of GS-32.
The Six series revolvers, Security, Police Service and Speed, manufactured from 1972-1988, all used the same carton dimensionally despite the barrel length, correct?. A date is printed (for example: September 1980) on the back of the carton (black and yellow ones anyway) like 09/80 on the front, lower right cover of the OM.
Now, did they make new cartons and OM's every year? I don't think so. There are gaps in the dates I think.
With a 1981 revolver, it would be safe to assume that it didn't come in a 1984 carton, from the future. Or could it have? An earlier carton would be possible though, but by how many years? There's a 157- prefix Security Six (1981) on GB with a January 1979 dated carton....
A member here has offered me a 1980 dated box with a 1979 dated owners manual. Closer, warmer, and could be the correct box.
I know that I can't be the only knucklehead out there who's been through this and hope this hasn't bored everyone to tears. Again.
I'm not asking everyone to go look at their Six series revolver and post the serial prefix and date on the box and OM. Wait, yes I am... Just kidding, but if anyone who's been down this road would care to comment I'd appreciate the assist.
Now, back to less important stuff like work.... H.

Wait, as a side: I see 1975 and 1976 had the Six series revolvers in black and red boxes. What year DID the transition between black and red boxes and yellow and black occur?

contender

Ruger Guru
By far,,, I am NOT a very knowledgeable guy about the DA revolvers. BUT,,,, your right in that many folks try & match up the correct boxes with guns, and it can be confusing as to when Ruger switched box types.
And, you are correct in that they did not create a new box or manual each year.
I'd get the 1980 box & the 1979 manual, as they are VERY likely correct for your gun.

Maybe a DA expert will chime in here soon. (Terry T or RoninPa.)

hittman

Staff member
Contender nailed it .......

Shoot a PM to guys like TerryT, RoninPA, Rugerguy, Chet15, Weaselmeatgravy ...... I think any of those gentlemen may have your answers.

Also, a subscription to RENE is a very valuable resource.

M1Lover

Bearcat
Dang Contender, you actually HAVE a Ruger Guru title!! Thanks for the good advice, you're likely correct. And thanks again Hittman! H.

hittman

Staff member
Once you figure out which color box you need, the only other decision is can you live with the "generic" box with no end label or will you search for one with the proper model/catalog number on the end.

contender

Ruger Guru
M1Lover,, the title means that I'm just a Ruger junkie, and frequent this place a lot.

Now the fun begins. Looking for the correct box, WITH the correct end label. Then,,, if you get the manual,,, then you need the rest of the paperwork shipped with the gun. Oh, and don't forget,,, the shipper carton.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Welcome to the forum,
Your correct box would be the Yellow & Black hinged version IMO.

Per RENE} "the yellow and Black hinged box began to be used by at least s/n 154-86795. this change occurred in march 1979."
Terry

M1Lover

Bearcat
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Welcome to the forum,
Your correct box would be the Yellow & Black hinged version IMO.

Per RENE} "the yellow and Black hinged box began to be used by at least s/n 154-86795. this change occurred in march 1979."
Terry

Thanks Terry, more good info. Been here since 2011.... Hunter

As Terry said the yellow/black box will be the correct one for your gun. The hard part will be finding one that has the correct info on the end panel. They can be found but it would probably have to come from an owner that saved the box but doesn't care about keeping the box. The plus side to that could be that that type of owner many times just stuffs the other paperwork into the box and puts it in the attic and forgets about it until someone, like you, jogs their memory. On the down side of getting a box this way is that it very well may have the serial number written on the box for the s/n of the gun that came in that box so you would have a mismatch that way, but you would have a correct period box (and possibly shipper).

Don't give up hope, just keep plugging away, a lot of the time it's the hunt that is the fun/interesting part.

I'll keep my eyes open for you also and I'll check my excess boxes (Ruger collectors will buy empty Ruger boxes from people "just in case") to see what I might have.