Oh, that USPS.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I submitted my documents for the Social Security Lump Sum Death Benefit, the $255 payment, on or about July 31st of this year. Having received no response, I gave S/S a call. Yep, no record of having received my application. So, I'm set up for a telephone interview October 24th to resolve this and get the process going.

I've had several bills that my check was either not received, or was received a month or two late. I had had four such problems in recent times. I have sent a complaint to my Senator for help.

I'm guessing my mail is either laying on the floor of some USPS branch, or torn open and discarded when no cash money was inside. I have been in some branches and seen the mail flip off the conveyor belts and lay on the floor.

Bob Wright

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
USPS is like any nation-wide business - service can depend on who exactly is working in your local area. Your mail carrier may be a 'work-aholic', or he might be an alcoholic (seems like I've read that 10% of the population have addiction issues). But there are also systemic problems, including relations between the union(s) & management. I talked to a postal guy up in Minnesota who said that he is required to stay in his vehicle while taking his breaks, to help prevent mail theft (which makes sense). He also mentioned that he is prohibited from running the engine on his breaks, which makes things interesting if it's 20 below zero! An adversarial work environment can tend to degrade performance.

IMHO, USPS might be an example of 'one size does NOT fit all', and (more importantly) a fine example of why the federal government is NOT the solution to all of our needs or problems...

Bob: if it’s any consolation, lately mail between Dallas and Phoenix AZ has been beyond slow. On several occasions this summer, my parents have sent my daughter letters and they are taking 3 weeks to be delivered. Same when we send a letter to them.

Not sure what is happening.

Locally ours has been terrible for years and has went downhill from there.
I've set up every thing I can to be able to do initiated transfers or auto pay. Post office
has failed way too many times. Only have a few vendors that we can't pay that way.
At home only our sewer/water bill and property taxes are still paid by check and I can drop
those in a drop box at the township.
In spite of all the reports of account hacking and electronic theft I still have more faith in those
systems than what has become of the postal service.

blammer

Single-Sixer
No problems here that I know of yet. As stated above, a lot of it depends on who is managing and working at facilities. And USPS, like everyone else, is having to hire new people. I've seen lots of different carriers on my route lately, though main one is very good. Once she even picked up newspaper from my driveway when delivering a box to us.

Your problem was with delivery from you to another place. Only thing that can help with that is sending with tracking. However, one thing you might try to help track mail being delivered TO you is using the USPS 'Informed Delivery' web-based service. It will show and email you what's being delivered to you that day. Doesn't always show pictures of everything, but it's been pretty good so far. If the app shows it and it doesn't show up, you'll know and can have them trace it (once in a while it shows up the next day). Never had to test their tracing ability, though.

Anymore, I have things sent to me via email as much as possible and have money electronically handled instead of checks. There's risks there as well, but at least the actual travel time is pretty quick and accurately delivered.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I submitted my documents for the Social Security Lump Sum Death Benefit, the $255 payment, on or about July 31st of this year. Having received no response, I gave S/S a call. Yep, no record of having received my application. So, I'm set up for a telephone interview October 24th to resolve this and get the process going.

I've had several bills that my check was either not received, or was received a month or two late. I had had four such problems in recent times. I have sent a complaint to my Senator for help.

I'm guessing my mail is either laying on the floor of some USPS branch, or torn open and discarded when no cash money was inside. I have been in some branches and seen the mail flip off the conveyor belts and lay on the floor.

Bob Wright
Could very well be Social Security. I had to send my passport to them to get a new SS card. I sent my documents first of December 2000, got my new card April 2001 and was forced to get an emergency passport because they never returned my passport until August 2001. I had to renew a retirement visa overseas and had to have a good passport. No, amounts of calls, letters or email to them proved successful in getting them off their azz.
I ended up writing a letter and having it delivered, signature required to the director of SS. I could go on for hours on other problems I have had with them, but you have the idea.

dannyd

Single-Sixer
If you do everything on line with SS or Medicare it's real easy. Got a SS card in ten days by applying online. Same with medicare got my card and paid the first quarter online without any trouble so far.

As these government agencies switch to online applications they are not replacing the staff that are retiring, so having contact with a human is going to get harder and harder.

Enigma

Hunter
We were trying to contact Social Security to see about getting my wife's account squared away, and it was simply not possible to contact them by phone. You called, got put on hold for about 20 minutes, and then the call was dropped. Not just once, but repeatedly, on multiple days. They were also not accepting requests for face-to-face appointments due to COVID. I was feeling very frustrated, so I contacted my congresscritter and asked for assistance. And JUST LIKE THAT, Social Security became very proactive, called us, and resolved the issue in a matter of days. I even received a follow-up report from the congressman's office afterwards.

Yes, the mail is unacceptably slow and unreliable, IMHO, but the SSA needs to be cleaned out, with a big broom.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I’d say its way way more likely the incompetence is with the Social Security Administration, not the post office.

If that were the only letter that did not get through I might agree. But there are more involving bill payments. Some of these were to distant cities, and one right here in Memphis. And one case involved a prescription I ordered that was delivered over six months later!

Bob Wright

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
I'm guessing my mail is either laying on the floor of some USPS branch, or torn open and discarded when no cash money was inside. I have been in some branches and seen the mail flip off the conveyor belts and lay on the floor!
At the end of run, all machines and areas around those machines are swept, for loose mail! The postal service is very short staffed, most places! And most lost mail is found under the desk of the recipient's! All vehicles are inspected nightly and signed off as completec, no mail found!
Overloadded, retired

I'm guessing my mail is either laying on the floor of some USPS branch, or torn open and discarded when no cash money was inside. I have been in some branches and seen the mail flip off the conveyor belts and lay on the floor!
At the end of run, all machines and areas around those machines are swept, for loose mail! The postal service is very short staffed, most places! And most lost mail is found under the desk of the recipient's! All vehicles are inspected nightly and signed off as completec, no mail found!
Overloadded, retired
Yup that's nice, but who's mailbox did it get left in. We get other peoples mail at LEAST once a week and some pieces are not even on our road.
I used to just take it where it was addressed to, got tired of that so now with a big red felt pen I write across it " delivered to wrong address "
and put it back in our mailbox.

Montelores

Buckeye
If I need to know that a document was received, I mail (USPS) Certified, Return Receipt requested.

I can track it and have documentation that it was received.

Certified Mail®​

Prove you sent it. See when it was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made, and get the signature of the person who accepts the mailing when combined with Return Receipt.

Notes

• Purchase at your Post Office.
  • Present for mailing to a Postal employee if a postmarked sender's receipt is requested.
  • Combine with Return Receipt to get an electronic or physical delivery record showing the recipient's signature.
  • The recipient may be required to show an acceptable primary ID before USPS will deliver the mailpiece.

Cost
$4.00

Additionally, banks now offer "bill payment" on-line.

I realize that not everyone is knowledgeable about or comfortable with this, but it is the way the world works now.

In fact, one can see at a glance the status of one's credit card / debit card / checking account and the bills which have been paid and the funds that have been withdrawn from one's account.

If you believe that this is unsecure, it might help to know that banks already use electronic records.

Your credit card, every time it is swiped, for example, uses an electronic transfer.

I hope that this helps.

Monty

P. S. Added as a suggestion: If you have a family member or trusted friend who uses online banking, you might ask them to show you how it works.

Generally, if I need tech help, I look for the nearest 16 year-old for guidance.

;)

Last edited:

gundog5

Bearcat
Same problem in California. They lost a deposit check I sent for a duck hunting trip to Mississippi and the Check for my DMV registration was lost and yes had to pay a late fee. Grrrrr f…en government.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have no problems at all with mail delivery. Once in a while the mail will be late but that is about it. I am amazed that they deliver all kinds of stuff in my mailbox and many times bring bigger packages to the door. Mail delivery of all sorts of stuff has gotten to be a regular thing for us after the pandemic.

Latest posts