OH NO my Water Softener quit;* UP DATE*

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I went out yesterday to check on my water softener and see when a re-cycle was scheduled and found the display screen completely blank. Pushing the buttons did nothing for it and YES !! I did check and make sure it was getting power.
It's a Whirlpool unit we installed four year ago because the old one had stopped working. Nobody wants to mess with it and one guy wanted $1375 to install a NEW softener.
Any suggestions on fixing it (thought about buying a new circuit board, but cant find one on eBay or Amazon that matches the model number on the one in the unit.
A new softener from Home Depot or Lowes will run $400-$500 dollars and I cant tell if the plumbing connections on any of them would work because the boxes are sealed. Would have to have them deliver it , they are too big for the trunk of my car.
I am going to go spray wd-40 on the buttons on the circuit board and see IF that will cure anything.

**UP DATE **
Today the new "power supply" arrived and holding my breath, I plugged it into the circuit board which I had sitting here on the table; It showed a time and the little indicator light started to blink. SO being a brave soul and Ruger Forum person, I took it all out and installed the board and power supply in the softner cabinet, plugged it into the power cord and it all lit up. I then set the correct time on the board, indicated the desired hardness level, entered in the salt level and THEN scheduled the time for a "Recharge" (03:00 AM). I'll go out in the morning and see if the ground is wet as usual.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

nekvermont

Blackhawk
"I cant tell if the plumbing connections on any of them would work because the boxes are sealed."

You can usually find a link to the Owners manual or a installation manual on the page of the products HD or Lowes sells. Good Luck.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/3e/3e20cb72-852a-417f-bf47-5a6481d4b084.pdf

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
We live in AZ where they call the water "liquid rock." A couple of months ago, our water softener quit; we by-passed the unit, and we just recently replaced it. I have to say that during those two months,
I really didn't notice the difference except that the water pressure was better.
Obviously, your pipes will complain if you do that for too long, but you can take your time to solve the problem.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Thanks to All of you; We not only have HARD water, but also loaded with iron which turns everything rusty including a pitcher of water. We use the salt pellets for Iron loaded water.
I did find and order a NEW circuit board ($125 + Shipping) and a NEW Transformer ($18.00 plus shipping) from Amazon. I tried to find any output on the transformer when it was plugged in using a nifty little test thingy for voltage and resistance that had belonged to Ashley (Thank You my Love where ever your Soul may be <HEAVEN I PRAY> and got zero results. Hopefully that will fix it; I get the transformer Monday and the board the 23rd.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Good luck hope everything works out! In these parts Hard water is frozen! We also do
hard water fishing and even a bit of skating. Put goals up and Boards so the puck stays around
and play a little hockey! Hard water can be a good thing! :D ps

Mega Twin

Blackhawk
Is there by any chance a reset button on it?
Is it hard wired in or does it plug in? Sometimes if you remove the power source for a minute or two and plug it back up it may reset.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
No reset button and I DID check the power source and make sure it was not kicked out. I finally tested the power transformer and discovered that it has ZERO out put. I ordered a new on on line and it is due in tomorrow; I also ordered a new circuit board "just in case", so we'll see. Amazing what you can find on Amazon.

coach

Hunter
It helps to check the easy/cheap things first. Good luck. Last spring I was able to get a replacement pump for my pressure washer from Amazon. The cost was as good as anywhere else and it could be returned free if needed.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
caryc said:
I just bought one of these. Haven't installed it yet. I need to get to Home Depot to get some parts.

https://shop.nuvoh2o.com/Manor-Softener-System

Wish you had ask first. With 54 years of water treating experience, I'll tell you it won't work. The hardness minerals, magnesium and calcium have to go somewhere. If they are not removed they stay in the water. While chelation works it only works for a very few seconds. Then the bonding breaks and you are right back where you started.

I've seen everything from magnets, they do make nice paperweights, to attempts to use the Faraday principal. All have been unmitigated disasters. I've seen system so fouled with solids and biological materials they've needed major overhauls to return to proper function.

Trust me on this one, if they worked there would be no chemical water treatment companies in existence. Yet, it's one of the larger expenses for many corporations.

Glad it's working! Let us know tomorrow.

Individuals who are not 'home owners' have no idea of the fun associated with it.
I have never liked home maintenance. When we moved to Illinois, we had a basement for the first time. After the first hard rain, the sump pump failed. I never heard of a sump pump before and it took several trips to the hardware store to fix it. Luckily, the basement didn't flood and the hardware store guy was patient and explained everything...slowly. :D

Thank God for Texas! No basements and no need for water softeners.