Officer or Commander in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For those who are experiencing feed issues with any size 1911, look at the feed ramp. Simply opening up, and polishing the feed ramp, will do wonders. If you aren't comfortable with doing this, please take to a competent gunsmith. There's more than just opening and polishing. Things like the 1/32" step must be maintained, etc.

I have an Officer's model 1911 that doesn't like hollow points. It works great with FMJ ball ammo. When I carry it, I put a 230 gr Hydra-Shok in the barrel and a mag full of FMJ. Someday I'll get around to doing a custom job on it. Now that I'm retired, I have time to work on the guns I've been meaning to play with but always got pushed back because of customer guns. At least that what I keep telling myself. LOL!!

KIR

Sparks, NV
Recently purchased my 2nd Browning Hi-Power. The first was a MK III NIB in 1916. It is my fave. The latest is a 1977 'C' model. Will be taking it out soon. I made my upgrades on it as I did the first. C&S Skeletonized hammer, sear, springs; and extended safety on this older model. While I have only fired, perhaps a dozen different handguns, it certainly was/is the best I have ever held and fired in my hands. The triggers on both are fine as I got them, despite what people say...and I like the "mousetrap" magazines better than mags in other guns.

C3Ranger

Bearcat
I have never had a 9mm 1911. I have the hankering for a new 1911 and been thinking a 9mm might be kind of fun. I'm also thinking an officer sized my be even better. If I like it and it runs well I may add it to my carry rotation and as range toy as well. I have read about people having reliability issues with the officer sized 1911s. From my understanding the commander sized 9mm seem to be good to go. I have government and commanders 1911s in 45, but have never shot or even handled an officer sized 1911. Are officer 9mm still prone to issues? If you were making the choice, which would you chose and why. I could always buy another 45 if neither 9mm is reliable. Thank in advance for helping me spend some money,
I have a Combat Commander, Defender, and a New Agent, all in 9mm. All have been very reliable. The Defender and New Agent are both "Officer" sized. The Commander is the best range shooter, but the Defender and New Agent are better for concealed carry. The Defender has adjustable sights, while the New Agent, which was specifically designed for concealed carry, has a "trench" sight. For that reason, some consider the New Agent to be only a very close range belly gun. I added a set of Crimson Trace laser grips to the New Agent to compensate for the lack of conventional sights.

I own 2 Colts from the 1980's and both worked from day one. I change the springs every 1000 rounds. They were EDC for years. They must be timed right and it is hard to do with the .45 ACP but should work better with the 9mm just as the Commander was designed for the 9mm but the Army wanted it in .45 ACP.

I have looked a bit at Dan Wessons and agree that they are a fine handgun. Their price point has caused me to keep looking. My question is are they twice as good as the Ruger ect? They are twice the price. I find it hard to spend that much money on a gun. I am seriously asking if you feel that they are that much better? I realized in 1911's DW is still upper middle of the road, but customs are way out of my budget. Just in my head I could have two of something else for the price of a Dan Wesson, but if they are truly that much better maybe I better look again.
I sold my DW Pointman 9 target model and kept my Ruger LW Commander.

Walnut864

Bearcat
A couple of years ago I purchased the Ruger SR1911 9mm "commander."

I was wanting the 5 inch barrel but at the time they only offered the one with the target rear sight.

I can say now that I am not disappointed at all. I shoot the SR1911 9mm CMD better than any pistol I have or ever shot.
THe only down side was the factory magazines that came with it. You could not get that last bullet in for anything. It was spoke about on forums by other owners also. May have changed by now.
I bought two extra MecGar mags and they load easily.
other than loading the mag. I have no complaints whatsoever.

hittman

Staff member
I shoot the SR1911 9mm CMD better than any pistol I have or ever shot.

I bought two extra MecGar mags and they load easily.
I have no complaints whatsoever.
My experience is similar to yours.
However, I got a Glock 19x after the Ruger Commander and I seem to shoot the Glock better. Still, both are fine weapons!
(y)

Whatnickname

Bearcat
I've owned a Colt Officer Model with a 3.5" barrel, a Kimber Ultra Carry with a 3" barrel, a RIA version of the Officer Model with a 3.5" barrel and I currently own a Springfield Enhanced Micro Pistol in 9MM. The first 3 were all chambered 45 ACP. The 45s were extremely ammunition sensitive and magazine choice was critical.

The Kimber would not run at all with factory magazines. Metal Form magazines made a significant improvement but were not 100% reliable. Kimber made no bones about it... ball ammo was what they recommended and " ...don't call us for service until you have run at least 500 rounds through the gun".

The RIA was considerably less reliable than the Colt, Kimber or the Springfield. I thought the Springfield made better sense because it was scaled down for caliber and short configuration. All were reliable to a point. They only run reliably if they are kept extremely clean and the right ammo and magazines are used. Once 25 to 30 rounds were fired i experienced an average of a 20% failure to run rate.

Full size slides that have been cut down lack the inertia to run reliably. The industry response is a heavy slide spring... usually a double spring configuration. The tolerances for 1911s with slides shorter than 4" are right up against the wall. With slides of 3", tolerances are critical...build up of powder residue, improper lubrication, improper magazine and incompatible ammo choices and you're going to end up with a paperweight in your hands when the "stuff" hits the fan. Over the years I've probably spent $5,000 to $6,000 figuring this one out. If you're going to carry one of these to defend life and limb, shoot at least 500 rounds of ammo through the gun before you carry it. Make absolutely sure you know what ammo and magazines work best in your pistol and keep it clean and well lubricated at all times. If you're not willing to do those things, please let your family know that I would like to know when your estate sale is going to be held!

wproct

Single-Sixer
I just love the 1911 pistol in 9mm, and my preference would be the commander size model, but that's just my opinion, and you know, everyone has one.:D

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I carried a .45 Colt Officer's (Enhanced). No problems=eventually went to a .38 Super Commander as my EDC. I understand the issues were with the "standard" (Un-enhanced) models. My brother liked the Kimbers over the Colt's (He shoots competitively) but I prefer Glocks, personally.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I use my DW Bobtail Guardian in 9mm. I think DW is one of the finest 1911's made today, bar none!

Attachments

• DW 1911 #2.jpg
    DW 1911 #2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • DW 1911.jpg
    DW 1911.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94