Officer or Commander in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I have never had a 9mm 1911. I have the hankering for a new 1911 and been thinking a 9mm might be kind of fun. I'm also thinking an officer sized my be even better. If I like it and it runs well I may add it to my carry rotation and as range toy as well. I have read about people having reliability issues with the officer sized 1911s. From my understanding the commander sized 9mm seem to be good to go. I have government and commanders 1911s in 45, but have never shot or even handled an officer sized 1911. Are officer 9mm still prone to issues? If you were making the choice, which would you chose and why. I could always buy another 45 if neither 9mm is reliable. Thank in advance for helping me spend some money,

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
I have no experience with a 9mm 1911 shorty, but I do have a 3" Officer's size by both Colt and Kimber in 45 ACP. Both have run 100% with my reloads and factory defense ammo.

I dare say most people who say to beware of any 1911 with a barrel less than 4.25" have simply read that and not experienced it themselves. BUT, there must be something to it because some major 1911 builders won't do a short 1911.

I chose the Officers size simply for easy of carrying, which I do in the cooler months. The grip and the barrel are shorter, but they still hold 7+1. I love my 4.25" 1911's, but I carry neither.

Ruger makes a 3.6" 1911 in both 9mm and 45 ACP. It's interesting to note that both of their magazines hold 7 rounds, like my 2 Officers and all my other longer 45 1911's if a flush fitted magazine is used. Hmmm...

Go for it! :)

Last edited:

NikA

Buckeye
I will check later today, but I'm thinking the Ruger website has a typo on the capacity of their Officer's model in .45. The magazines are significantly shorter than full size.

That said, I haven't had any issues with mine, and I expect a 9mm to be more reliable due to the greater taper of the case.

Cholo

Staff member
↑ I can't speak for the 3.6" Ruger because I don't have one, but there should be no reason their magazine capacity with the shortened grip frame should have less capacity than Kimber's or Colt's which also have a shortened grip frame. 7 rounds of 45. Ruger's CMD and full sized both also hold 7 rounds when a flush fitting magazine is used. It's a miracle of modern engineering! LOL

hittman

Staff member
My 2nd favorite 9mm is the Ruger Lightweight Commander 1911. Light, compact (enough), insanely reliable. Never had a hiccup … ever.

I've heard similar stories about the Officer size. I only owned one of those, a RIA and it went bye-bye for unreliability issues.

NikA

Buckeye
I was wrong. Ruger Officer's magazine has 5 witness holes, I incorrectly assumed for 6 rounds, but holding it next to a Kimber Officer's mag it's clear that there is no witness hole for round #2 and they can be loaded with 7.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have used Commanders for decades in both 9mm & 38 Super. In some countries 9mm was not allowed since it was used by the Military/Govt. I never had a problem with them. Anything shorter gives up control, shootability, round count etc for very little in concealment .IMHO

Reactions: JCK

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Well sounds like in 9mm the lw commander may be the way to go. Or perhaps an officer in 45.

I do like my SR1911s and I own more Rugers than any other firearm, but are Rugers the best value in 1911s today? Some of the Springfield and Colt offerings have attracted my eye. Thoughts?

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Think about this before you purchase anything. I have owned Colt's, Custom LW Colt Commanders, Springfields, Kimbers, Rugers and far and away the best 1911 for any money (IMHO) is the Dan Wesson. The firearm is superb and every single write up on it reiterates the outstanding quality and performance. This is my DW Bobtail Guardian, alloy frame Commander, in 9mm, no longer offered. Truly an outstanding firearm.

Attachments

• DW 1911 #2.jpg
    DW 1911 #2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
  • DW 1911.jpg
    DW 1911.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
When my dad passed, I got all his guns. He had a Colt Commander 9mm, a Series 70 made in 1972. That was the pistol he kept in a drawer next to his recliner. He was a .45 acp 1911 guy for decades so the only thing I could think of was the recoil of the .45 was getting too much for him so he bought this 9mm.
He also had a Mech Tech carbine conversion for it. I've owned a Mech Tech for a .45 acp 1911 and it was okay but this one for the 9mm is heavy as hell! I'm not totally sold on it.
Honestly, I haven't shot it either way yet. I've been busy with a gun room addition to the house, and haven't been shooting much of anything. I'm still busy setting up that room but this thread has made me interested in that 9mm 1911 and I think I'll go out behind the house and pop off a few rounds through it and see if I like it.
04.jpg

05.JPG

01.JPG

Snake Pleskin

Banned
When my dad passed, I got all his guns. He had a Colt Commander 9mm, a Series 70 made in 1972. That was the pistol he kept in a drawer next to his recliner. He was a .45 acp 1911 guy for decades so the only thing I could think of was the recoil of the .45 was getting too much for him so he bought this 9mm.
He also had a Mech Tech carbine conversion for it. I've owned a Mech Tech for a .45 acp 1911 and it was okay but this one for the 9mm is heavy as hell! I'm not totally sold on it.
Honestly, I haven't shot it either way yet. I've been busy with a gun room addition to the house, and haven't been shooting much of anything. I'm still busy setting up that room but this thread has made me interested in that 9mm 1911 and I think I'll go out behind the house and pop off a few rounds through it and see if I like it.View attachment 1980
View attachment 1982
View attachment 1979
The original Colt Commanders are still one of the best (IMHO). One point, do not feed it any +P garbage etc. The aluminum frame does not need the stress and it really won't make any difference in performance, just more noise, muzzle blast, recoil and wear & tear on the components. A good std round from Hornady or Speer will be more than enough (IMHO) Good Luck

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I have looked a bit at Dan Wessons and agree that they are a fine handgun. Their price point has caused me to keep looking. My question is are they twice as good as the Ruger ect? They are twice the price. I find it hard to spend that much money on a gun. I am seriously asking if you feel that they are that much better? I realized in 1911's DW is still upper middle of the road, but customs are way out of my budget. Just in my head I could have two of something else for the price of a Dan Wesson, but if they are truly that much better maybe I better look again.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Lots of good guns available in the marketplace. I know ZERO about todays prices.

Ruger has always been known as an affordable good quality firearm. A working mans gun if you will. As a kid in the 70's we thought a Colt was for a rich guy, a Smith was for someone who fondled their guns but didn't shoot them and Rugers were an affordable attractive gun you could use.

When Ruger introduced their 1911 the vast majority of people said they hit a home run.

My first 1911 was their introductory gun. My second 1911 is my LW Commander in 9mm. For my needs, the Commander is the ticket.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I have read about people having reliability issues with the officer sized 1911s.
I have run MANY thousand rounds through 3.5", 4", 4.25" and 5" barrels.
Anyone that tries to tell you that this length or that length WILL have problems
(or is more prone to problems) is simply trying to perpetuate the MYTH of
a particular length barrel being inferior.

Fifty years ago that could have been a . . . possible . . . issue, but not for
the last several many decades!

Pick what YOU would like, purchase a good quality firearm, and my bet is
that you will be VERY comfortable with your purchase.

Anyone that wishes to argue the viability (or lack thereof) for a given length,
is just out to ARGUE, not discuss, or share knowledge. :rolleyes:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have looked a bit at Dan Wessons and agree that they are a fine handgun. Their price point has caused me to keep looking. My question is are they twice as good as the Ruger ect? They are twice the price. I find it hard to spend that much money on a gun. I am seriously asking if you feel that they are that much better? I realized in 1911's DW is still upper middle of the road, but customs are way out of my budget. Just in my head I could have two of something else for the price of a Dan Wesson, but if they are truly that much better maybe I better look again.
I think the DW is as good as it gets. I have looked at Nighthawks and others and they do not surpass the overall workmanship of the DW (IMHO) but offer more bells & whistles. I also have a DW in stainless, a Valor their flagship model in .45acp. That being said, I also think Springfield makes a fine 1911 and like their Ronin model very much. If I was buying one I would probably look at that one. Other makes like S&W and Rock Island, Tisas and others make very serviceable weapons too. I owned a Ruger Commander and it ran fine. I just did not need two. I do not think you can go wrong with most 1911's in todays market. Stick with a Known maker and you should be happy in the end.

The 1911 platform was designed around a 5 in bbl. They tweaked it more than people realize to make the 4.25 in. Commander. Also changed frame metal composition, as early ones were known to crack after hard use. When manufactures started down the Officer path, problems with reliability began to crop up in significant numbers. While a "good" 1911 can be reliable, there is a reason so many of them were 'tuned" etc and an entire aftermarket business grew up working on them. Regardless of what anyone says, they just were not that reliable, especially if you tried anything but hard ball in one. With the advent of the Officer platform It took many years for the smaller barrel length 1911's to work reliably. Other than cosmetic changes for feel & looks, 1911's always had sensitive extractors and magazines, which is something most custom makers tune(extractor) others tried to fix with external extractors (S&W etc) and Wilson & Chip McCormick solved with their magazines. Most 1911 are throated, polished feed ramps and 9mm in particular with one piece barrel/feedramp. The 1911 initially was a .45acp platform, then .38 Super and 9mm.
Since I am an old curmudgeon, I do not use 1911's under Commander size, because for me, they bring nothing to the party. Less to hold onto, less rounds, harder to control & shoot well for a minimal increase in possible concealability. I am a fan of the 9mm Commander. Other than being single action, locked & cocked carry, which I do not like, I can not think of a better all around personal defense firearm. I use mine when I can carry OWB and not be too concerned with concealability issues etc. If I need to go Appendix carry, I use my CZ 75 D PCR with its decocker. Just my over cautious nature, which has served me well over the years!
If you like the Ruger, go with it, you will be happy with your choice. I hear very few people complaining about them. Like I said, If I had to do it again, I would probably buy a Springfield Ronin Commander. Good luck

Coyote56

Single-Sixer
EA6F8828-D12F-49FE-9326-ADA957C1D899.jpeg

041E0A22-AF1F-4AAD-9C2A-DC8EFC7F8076.jpeg

199D9C1D-3F30-47C2-9122-5CE8588D3A67.jpeg
D6F80073-DCC3-454E-A2C2-68B721CC44E8.jpeg
44EC217E-00D4-4771-A253-4D96C04252F5.jpeg
A20784F5-53D2-4F73-A0B9-080190F1AA21.jpeg

When it comes to a .45, one size fits all can be tricky.
Some people just do not dig the cocked & locked concept, no worries
Indeed there is a healthy catalog of ordnance from which to choose.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
View attachment 2014
View attachment 2016

View attachment 2012View attachment 2011View attachment 2010View attachment 2013
When it comes to a .45, one size fits all can be tricky.
Some people just do not dig the cocked & locked concept, no worries
Indeed there is a healthy catalog of ordnance from which to choose.
Correct. my favorite for several years was the SIG 220. Just felt "safer" in Appendix, then a cocked & Locked 1911 pointing at my femoral artery or other parts!! : )

KurtC

Single-Sixer
The current USGI 9mm load (M1152) is hot. For my 9mm 1911, I chose the Colt steel framed Combat Commander, seen here next to a DAO Beretta. The Beretta has a Menck recoil system to protect the aluminium frame when using M1152.

Attachments

• 20220310_135152.jpg
    20220310_135152.jpg
    915.5 KB · Views: 90

Snake Pleskin

Banned
The current USGI 9mm load (M1152) is hot. For my 9mm 1911, I chose the Colt steel framed Combat Commander, seen here next to a DAO Beretta. The Beretta has a Menck recoil system to protect the aluminium frame when using M1152.
I have owned both the LW Commander & the Steel frame Commander and it is easier to shoot the Steel frame for obvious reasons. However, the steel frame negates the original purpose of the LW Commander, ie. save weight! No one can honestly say that .75 in of bbl makes the Commander super stealthy! It was that with the reduced weight that made them popular. Carrying2.5lbs of iron on your hip day after day gets old real fast. The LW Commander helped in that regard (IMHO). I think the LW Commander really came into its own when the 9mm came out. Light weight, more rounds, same good ergonomics. It was a hit from day one.

The original Colt Commanders are still one of the best (IMHO). One point, do not feed it any +P garbage etc. The aluminum frame does not need the stress and it really won't make any difference in performance, just more noise, muzzle blast, recoil and wear & tear on the components. A good std round from Hornady or Speer will be more than enough (IMHO) Good Luck
I also have an aluminum framed .45 1911. I don't run anything but regular ammo through it (or any of my 1911's for that matter). No need, IMHO, to run hot .45 acp. The simple fact your sending a large mass of lead downrange that hits with the impact of a small truck, is plenty adequate to get the job done. My favorite defense round for many years has been the good old 230 gr. Hydra-Shok.