Odd Ruger Collectible?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Couple years ago a local holster maker went out of business (retired). I was able to acquire a number of his forms, some of which were solid plastic or resin and some of which, like this one, seem to be solid aluminum or other light metal.

This seems to have been cast from a real Ruger (Blackhawk, prolly, though it might be a Single Six--I don't own any single actions to compare it to), as you can easily make out the Ruger emblems in the grips, with clay or something of the sort put in the various nooks, crannies, and gaps to prevent the mold "undercutting." The scope, which seems to be an old Bushnell Phantom, is integrally cast (that is, it's not added on).

Anyone ever seen one of these? Any idea who made it? Any idea what it might be worth? Would there be any interest in this as a Ruger collectible?

CastRuger.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Appears to be a shop-made casting of the Blackhawk Flattop, with scope, allowing a wet-shape forming of a scoped 6 1/2" revolver leather holster. Not an esy casting to make, i would observe. Think the scope was added in some manner, after the revolver was cast.

Snake45

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28":1n3wjys7 said:
Think the scope was added in some manner, after the revolver was cast.
Nope. You can see the mold casting line running along the top of the "gun" and right up the scope mounts, solid and unbroken. It was cast as one piece.

What I find interesting is the fact that while the "gun" is obviously a revolver, the scope mount is of the barrel-mounted type originally used on the Hawkeyes . . .

;)

Likely.

But I'd have to observe that most after-market mounts for revolvers were/are of the variety that sit up on top of the frame, so the arrangement shown would be of little use except for Hawkeyes . . . and even then, the barrel shown is too short.

Are you able to tell from the picture if that's a Single-Six or a centerfire? To me it kinda looks too "small" to be a centerfire, but I'm not real certain. I'm just comparing the size of the grip frame to the main frame and cylinder.

;)

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
No issue with the extended scope setting, as it worked on the Hawkeye 256.(D&T on rear of barrel) Plus, the grip frame is the same for all models,(In this vintage) ala XR3. All that had to be done is a D&T on rear of barrrel on the Blackhawk FT and use the Hawkeye Bushnell scope base...... 8)

Given the choice, I'd surely prefer to D&T the frame as opposed to the barrel.

I know the barrel mount makes it easier to attain a forward mount if that's what you're after, but violating that relatively thin barrel with a bottoming tap just rubs me the wrong way.

All that aside, that's a really neat bit of Ruger ephemera, for sure.

:)

I don't know where they got them, but the folks at www.pistolpackaging.com have several such "guns" for demo purposes in their holsters at gun shows. I don't ever recall seeing one with a scope, but they make scoped revolver holsters, so they may have something along those lines.

In related news, "The finish quality on those crummy cast Ruger frames seems to have gone downhill!" :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've seen Ruger's "Factory Issued" holster pattern guns. They are most likely "seconds" that are from the "bottom of the pot" and have the lockwork welded in place so there is no possible way to "fix" the gun.

I believe one of our members has one and, perhaps, he'll share his images.....

flatgate

Snake45

Hawkeye
flatgate":2l4hmo9o said:
I've seen Ruger's "Factory Issued" holster pattern guns. They are most likely "seconds" that are from the "bottom of the pot" and have the lockwork welded in place so there is no possible way to "fix" the gun.

I believe one of our members has one and, perhaps, he'll share his images.....

flatgate
I have a couple of S&W revolvers like that. One is a 4" 629 (.44 Mag) with a .41 cylinder welded in place! Others are oddball combinations of blued and nickeled barrels, frames, and cylinders. A VERY talented gunsmith with a full shop (and a full bin of spare parts including barrels and cylinders) MIGHT be able to get one of those guns working again, but no kitchen table gunsmith could.