odd observation on the SR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
The very first thing I did to my SR556 was to move the front sight further forward on the gas block. It strikes me as odd that Ruger chose to not mount the front sight as far forward as possible. It may be only a couple of inches but a longer sight radius is a longer sight radius. I thought that maybe it is a heat thing but I'm still scratching my head on it. Anyone have any insider knowledge on this?

Bullet Puller

Bearcat
Same here. I moved the front sight as far forward as it would go and the rear as far back as possible. Not that it matters that much. After my first trip to the range I purchased a 3-9X Leupold VX-1 scope and mounted it between the folded-down irons. Just can't seem to see those iron sights any more. As for "inside" information, I have none. I would guess that they didn't worry much abour placement since it only takes a couple of minutes to move them where you like.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
As soon as I pulled mine out of the box I moved mine forward. A longer sight radius is better for accuracy but a short sight radius is better for a quicker sight picture, maybe they just figured you'd put it where you wanted it.