Observations from a new member

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Hello all. I just introduced myself on the new members forum. So this is my second post. I appreciate the information provided here and the oppurtunity to post some questions and thoughts. I wanted to post some observations here. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum, as well as the rugerforum.net and on the web. I recently acquired my first two Ruger guns, a new 357 Blackhawk stainless, and a like new (used) P-85 MKII. I love the Blackhawk, and the more i look at the P-85, the more i like it too. As far as i can tell, the web is a broken record for P series autos. Goes like this: " ugly, blocky heavy, overbuilt (why complain about this), not good for concealment, and oh yea, did i mention ugly, always goes bang when you pull the trigger." I think some of this stuff is self perpetuating. In other words, if you read enough times that something is ugly, then you accept that it must be ugly. Personally, i can't think of a more attractive gun than some of the P guns. Especially the look of the stainless slide (on some models) mixed with the hard aluminum frame. I was in a gun shop today. There was a KP90 in new condition that i thought was better looking than any other gun i saw. Also, why do some folks complain about a device that is designed to control an explosion in your hand being "over built"? Im sorry, it just seems these guns are very under rated. Everyone seems hung up on the $1K sigs and look down on everything else. Tell me where i am wrong please.
Rick

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forums.

As for the P series being to big for concealed carry, you might be surprised how many of us do just that. For instance, my CCW is a P-90.

When people ask me about the P-90 I usually tell them it is BORING. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang.

I am afraid though, that if you think the P-90 is pretty, you have caught Rugeritis. There is no cure. It will only go into remission once in a while, (until you build your bank account back up).

So as a fellow sufferer, I Welcome you again.
DM

Mike J

Hunter
Welcome to Rugerforum. I like the way my P-944 looks & do carry it sometimes.

win85shooter

Bearcat
I would never say another man's gun was ugly. No matter what it is, someone will like it. Ruger, in my opinion has no ugly guns because Bill would never allow it and those that have succeeded him know better. The P-85 is a fine pistol that just happens to be "over engineered" in order to be reliable. You have a keeper.

Mike

Predator2525

Bearcat
Welcome RM, i too am new to the forum. looks have always been my first instinct on when i have purchased my guns. i have been rethinking that philosophy lately though. i purchased my kp345pr when it first came out and though i have grown to love the gun, it didnt start out that way. being brand new, nothing available for it, and then realizing custom gripping not even an issue really tried my patience. now, i not only eye the appealing ones, but also consider all the factors, parts availability, caliber, reliability, track record, etc. confidence in my particular weapons should have always been a factor in my choosing, which in the beginning was the way i started. i do get a great deal of ideas on this forum for advice and suggestions though which can really make a difference.

Two Dogz

Bearcat
Welcome to the boards!

I have carried my p90 concealed for over 15 years now, only spotted once and that was by a bouncer looking hard for such things.

If I need to drive a nail does it really matter if the hammer is all polished and engraved? I just need it to whack the nail.

Enjoy your new addiction.

Chris

Blackhawk
RM

Welcome aboard

I guess it is just personal preference. Fact is Ruger has a great history of durable weapons and fantastic customer service. Some comment on the aesthetics of the P-85 as if they were marring it instead of shooting it.

Enjot the forum

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
RMhoward ... Welcome to the forum. The old saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Accordingly, one man's beautiful polymer pistol will be another man's ugly piece of boring plastic. I personally don't worry if someone doesn't like what I've choosen to purchase and I generally avoid offering any negative opinion on someone elses purchase. If the buyer likes it and it suits their needs ... that's all that matters IMHO. Unfortunately, there are many "brand snobs" in life (including a few on this and every forum :lol:) who honestly believe that their opinions and choices are somehow special :roll:

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Hey RM in Jax, RM in Gainesville here... & welcome to the forum...

I love my (K)P95. Reminds me so much of my ole 1911 that saved my butt once or twice a long time ago (on AD). But i really like DM's comment above..."BORING. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang." Can't ask for anything more imo. As for my Blackhawk... just Classic! :D

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I stumbled into being a Ruger owner; I was at the gun counter at my local Bass Pro and was dead set on another revolver, a .38, for HD and plinking. It was my wife of all people why said "why don't you get one of those?" while motioning over to the semi's. I admit, I got LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY by chosing the Stainless KP95. I picked it for 2 reasons, well 3-4, actually.
1. I KNEW the name Ruger, in fact I said, "don't worry honey, Ruger is a quality gun", I had never owned one, and am pretty new to guns, but I knew I'd heard of Ruger for a long time, I don't know from where, but I just did.
2. I thought it looked beautiful! The stainless slide caught my eye... they had the blued P95 for about $50 cheaper, but no way...not for me....
3. I held it, and being a complete noob, knew nothing about what I was looking for, I had to trust my instincts. It felt good in my hand...a little weight to it, but not cumbersome. It felt like quality, to be honest, semi'auto's scared me a little, I didnt even pull the slide back or anything, I just held it, looked down the sights, turned it over and inspected each side and said "i'll take it" and walked out with it!
4. the price had something to do with it also, I mean I paid $379 for mine, and that seemed very reasonable...

All in all, I got lucky. I should have done homework, I should have known wtf I was doing, but in hindsight I am glad, because I don't know if I would have bought my first Ruger if I had. God bless dumb fate.

wbw2

Single-Sixer
OK, so here's my .02 cents...

I had a P85, traded it for a P89
I had a P89, traded it for a P90
I had a P90, traded it for a P95

I carried that P95 for well over 5 years as my primary CCW.
I have since replaced it with a commander size 1911, but I will never sell it or trade it in. In fact I now have a P94, P95 and a P97.

For whatever reason I just did not like the earlier P-series guns, they just seemed big and blocky to me. They seemed like they were way bigger than they needed to be. Now the later guns, yes they are "over-engineered", but they are perfect in size and proportion. And more importantly, they are just attractive to me. That may seem like a stupid statement, but I just didn't really like the way the earlier guns looked. When the later version guns came out they were in my eyes a vast improvement.

My original P95 has now got a little over 7K rounds through it and it still shoots like a dream. I can tell you honestly that in all those rounds it has never so much as burped.

Maybe it goes back to the simple addage- "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" people probably post their opinions about the earlier guns based on more than just simple performance. If my life depended on it, I would not hesitate to use a P85, but given their are other choices, I pick what I like for more reasons than just one.

And now, some gratuitous P95 pics, my old CCW, "old faithful"...

IMG_0138.jpg

george preston

Single-Sixer
Nice to see a new member from my town join this great forum! You got a great gun. I don't own one but I've fired a few owned by friends. As far as canceled carry goes, I prefer my S&W mod 36. Fits nice in the front pocket of my shorts. Being from Jax, you know that shorts get worn about 90% of the time down here. Nothing wrong with a full sized auto for your CCW. Just adjust your wardrobe for it. I sometimes carry a full sized auto too. Get a good belt, a good IWB holster, and a camp shirt. All that goes well with shorts and flip flops!

ChingChingPow

Bearcat
Ruger lost me when they integrated the grips for the most part. I do have a MKIII 22/45 and a P345 in the collection but I much prefer the older P series pistols that I can change the grips on (not slide a slippery sleeve on) My P89 and P90 are with me forever and all time favorite shooters.

recoilguy

Bearcat
toysoldier":336bit8j said:
I don't mind a solid gun or a full-figured woman. :wink:

As you get a little older you learn to appreciate both a little more. I still like to look at all the guns out there. I just know I can count on the one that has been at my side for many years now. Hell it even watches hockey games with me.

RCG

Rat76

Single-Sixer
RM, it does sound like you have a well developed case of Rugeritis. This disease will progress.

I started with a lonely P85 that I got as a temporary replacement for a S&W 59 I loaned to a good friend. I kept the P85. :wink:

Then it was a P90, then a P91 (going for the full set) & then I HAD to get the carbines to go with them PC9 & PC4 (I REALLY wish that Ruger had gone ahead & put the PC45 in production :( )

Then I got a .357 Blackhawk, 6.5 barrel Liberty Edition, so I had to get a Liberty Single Six to match.

I had to get a 10-22 (also Liberty) & of course found a MKII Target pistol that I could not resist........

Hello, my name is Jim & I'm Rugerholic.