NYPD Service Six Markings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
The NYPD authorized the Service Six in .38 Special only. In 1987, they went to a stainless DAO version, and there was a star stamped on the inside of the crane as an inspection mark, which identified it as an NYPD gun.

But before they went to the stainless DAO, the blued Six with a spurred hammer was authorized. Anybody know if those were marked liked the stainless ones were?

I have a blued Service Six on the way. It's .38 Special and I'm buying it from a dealer on Long Island, NY. Lots of NYPD cops there and the owner said he bought it from a retired cop. There were no other agencies who authorized those guns and the serial number dates it to early 1987, right before the switch to DAO in July 1987, so this revolver would have been part of the last class in the academy to get the blued guns.

I would like confirmation so if anybody knows if the blued guns were marked I'd like to know. Thanks.

I have two blued ones with hammers I bought 15-20 years ago from a retired NYPD cop turned gun dealer with the understanding they were ex-cop guns. He had quite a number of them for sale. I don't remember any special markings on them that would ID them as police guns but I didn't look very hard for an asterisk in the yoke.

Wish I could remember his name. Very nice guy and a pleasure to do business with.
Edited:
I remembered it!

Robert M Vivas
RM VIVAS AND SON was the name of his business.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
arfmel said:
I have two blued ones with hammers I bought 20 years ago from a retired NYPD cop turned gun dealer with the understanding they were ex-cop guns. He had quite a number of them for sale. I don't remember any special markings on them that would ID them as police guns but I didn't look very hard for an asterisk in the yoke.

Wish I could remember his name. Very nice guy and a pleasure to do business with.
Edited:
I remembered it!

Robert M Vivas

I'm pretty sure they're not marked. The Model 10's weren't marked. The Model 64's were marked 64-1 and the stainless Six was marked with the star. I think they marked the stainless guns. S shed they were special run guns just for the NYPD. Nobody was looking for spurless hammer revolvers so the factories made them special for the job.

RM Vivas is an authority on NYPD guns. I don't know if he's in business anymore.

hittman

Staff member
Yep. Form on their web site.

Not as complete as Smith and not as expensive either.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I looked into them. Seems they only list serial number, configuration and when shipped. Not where it shipped to. I know the gun shipped in 1987 but I'd like to know if it shipped to the NYPD. The NYPD had the guns shipped directly to the Equipment Section and that's what I would like to know.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
arfmel said:
I have two blued ones with hammers I bought 15-20 years ago from a retired NYPD cop turned gun dealer with the understanding they were ex-cop guns. He had quite a number of them for sale. I don't remember any special markings on them that would ID them as police guns but I didn't look very hard for an asterisk in the yoke.

Edited:
I remembered it!

Robert M Vivas

If you still have the guns could you take a look? Appreciate it if you could.

hittman

Staff member
Oh man, you surrendered on the letter too soon. I mean, it's a whopping $10.00. :lol: I'd say you have nothing to lose but it is $10.00.

I'd send the money and form with a polite letter asking if I you pay them for any additional work on their part that may uncover things like 1) is it NYPD 2) can you confirm where it was delivered 3) was it in service or an over-run sent to a distributor of retail sale, etc.

Two or 3 times in recent years one of the girls there picked up the phone and CALLED me!
I found out once a USPS Speed Six went to San Mateo, CA. postmaster.
Another time that a gun was returned by a gun writer and then shipped out for retail.
Once they told me that my ROUND butt Police Service Six truly IS a factory original even though they "never made" the Service Six in round butt!

Each of those included a very nice letter .... just sayin'.

^^^ What he said ^^^

Sometimes you get lucky and one of the ladies -- usually a lady -- will feel like being helpful (or chatty). I've had some luck with that.

Worth a try. :mrgreen:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Oh man, you surrendered on the letter too soon. I mean, it's a whopping $10.00. :lol: I'd say you have nothing to lose but it is $10.00.

I'd send the money and form with a polite letter asking if I you pay them for any additional work on their part that may uncover things like 1) is it NYPD 2) can you confirm where it was delivered 3) was it in service or an over-run sent to a distributor of retail sale, etc.

Two or 3 times in recent years one of the girls there picked up the phone and CALLED me!
I found out once a USPS Speed Six went to San Mateo, CA. postmaster.
Another time that a gun was returned by a gun writer and then shipped out for retail.
Once they told me that my ROUND butt Police Service Six truly IS a factory original even though they "never made" the Service Six in round butt!

Each of those included a very nice letter .... just sayin'.

I'll give it a shot. I'm retired NYPD and have other NYPD guns, but not a blued Six. Maybe if I mention I'm retired looking for a department gun they will dig a little deeper. As I said, NYPD ordered their guns from the manufacturer and the guns were shipped direct to the NYPD Equipment Section. I gotta think Ruger would have a record of shipping a department order.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Well, I got the gun. Serial 162-18818. Puts it to early 1987, which would fit in with the last Academy class with these weapons. I also filled out the request for the letter with a note asking for possible ship destination if possible. The job used to order direct from the manufacturer and they'd ship direct to the department. I hope Ruger has a record of that. I would think they would.

I would say for sure it's a cops gun. Not only did the dealer I bought it from tell me he bought it from a retired cop, but it had the typical cop holster wear. The grips were hard to get off, they were stuck to the frame. Finally got them off and I believe it was the first time. Some rust under there, but what makes me think they were never off the gun is because the little disassembly pin was still under there. That is usually the first thing to get lost.

It's stripped down and taking a bath in automatic transmission fluid for a few days. That has done wonders with other guns in removing rust. I'll post pics when it's all back together next week.