NYPD Police Service Six DAO On The Way-***PICS ADDED***

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
"My GPNY and NYPD Service Six with the Star inside the crane"

What does GPNY stand for?
The GP-100 and SP-101 models made for the NYPD contract runs were designated as and stamped GPNY and SPNY because they were a unique model made only for the NYPD

GP means General Purpose and SP is Special Purpose

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
The Ruger P series were tough guns but they always felt so clunky and rough to me. I have several DAO S&W guns, including two NYPD ones. They feel much higher quality than the P89 to me.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I picked it up yesterday. No star. Probably a contract overrun. Little disappointed, but not too much. The NYPD went from the blued Service six with a hammer to the stainless DAO in July, 1987. By 1989, they stopped using the Service Six in favor of the GPNY. I know the academy staff heavily pushed the S&W, so that first shipment of DAO Service Six guns probably lasted a long time, and any others made in anticipation of another order were never needed once they went to the GPNY.
I've got a stainless NYCPD Service Six DAO overrun(lettered) that shipped to Davidson's in Arizona in July 1987. No star but little disappointment as it's a special contract gun with some history. Good shooter too and reminds me of a S&W Model 64. My 1988 NYCPD 3" Speed Six DAO has the star but eventually shipped to Davidson's but didn't letter as an overrun. I'm guessing it was inspected, stamped and put on the shelf in NY until the GPNY took it's place. Maybe the Speeds & Service Sixes stamped with star that were shelved ended up going back to Ruger for credit on GPNY/SPNY then shipped to Davidsons.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Got my letter. Gun made in July of 1987(when the DAO guns became mandatory), but then shipped to Davidson's in December of 1988 as a contract overrun. I know the Academy staff heavily pushed the S&W, so my thought is the first shipment of Service Six guns lasted long enough that another shipment wasn't needed. The ones that went back to Davidson's with the inspection star must have been in that first shipment that was accepted and inspected but never sold to recruits. Ruger sending mine to Davidson's in December 1988 means it sat in their warehouse for 17 months. The GPNY came around in 1989 so that makes sense.

Still happy with the gun, though.