Number 1 in 9.3x74R

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Is Ruger still making this rifle/caliber? I wanted to get one and they seem scarcer now than they were at one time. For those of you that have one how do you like it? Thanks. TnTnTn

63November

Single-Sixer
9_3x74R.jpg

Like it?

IMG_04733.JPG

Real well!

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
That is a beautiful rifle and couple of photos. Did it handle the grizzly well? Load? I am going to have to get one of those to pop an occasional TN whitetail or rogue bull. TnTnTn

chet15

Hawkeye
I don't think anybody should wait too long to buy something like this. An uncommon caliber in a specialized rifle...well, Ruger's not known to continue keeping items like this in their catalog.
And where are all the #1's in .475 Linebaugh and .460 at???
Chet15

63November

Single-Sixer
TnTnTn":kxumkgbi said:
That is a beautiful rifle and couple of photos. Did it handle the grizzly well? Load? I am going to have to get one of those to pop an occasional TN whitetail or rogue bull. TnTnTn

Th first 286 Hornady handload made her sick, although she ran off immediately. But there was no fight left except to not die, and two more quick ones - after I found her in the alders- ended everything. (One would have been enough.) Actually, the first shot would have been enough if I had placed it just a bit better, but the rifle and bullet certainly worked well enough. (A Partition in the same weight is what I'd choose another time however.)

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
YeeHaw, Found and ordered one today. Can't wait. I have had a set of dies, bullets and some brass for about 2 years waiting to pull the trigger on the purchase. Hope it looks/shoots as good as yours do. Do you have any special/favorite loads? What is that scope on yours 63 November?---fits the rifle well. TnTnTn

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I load both the 270gr Speer and 286gr Hornady bullets, using IMR 4064 for both. I get 1 - 1.5" groups with both bullet weights, and according to various reloading manuals, both are moving 2,200-2,250 fps.

I'm gonna be putting a few rounds through mine on Saturday, getting ready for hunting season. :lol:

63November

Single-Sixer
TnTnTn":2uulvq9q said:
YeeHaw, Found and ordered one today. Can't wait. I have had a set of dies, bullets and some brass for about 2 years waiting to pull the trigger on the purchase. Hope it looks/shoots as good as yours do. Do you have any special/favorite loads? What is that scope on yours 63 November?---fits the rifle well. TnTnTn

Good for you. I hope you're as happy with your's as I am with this one.

Varget seems like a good powder, but I suspect, as with many cartridges which like the mid-range powders, that others may work as well.

I have the same scope on my 9.3 which I use on my 45-70 #1-S. It's a Weaver 2.5X. I would have run with a Leupold 2.5X but money was tight when I wanted one for the 45-70 and it has served me so well that I bought a couple more. Unfortunately, it is no longer made. The Leupold, however, still is.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
While I do like the idea of a low powered scope on bigger bore rifles, don't give up the 9.3's range advantage over rounds like the 45-70. It's a legitimate 200+ yard rifle on deer sized game. Sighted in a couple of inches high at 100 yards, it's only a couple of inches low at 200 yards.

Lower powered variables such as 1-4x, 1.75-5x, or 2-7x make a lot of sense, and really help out on those longer shots. Lots of good choices out there.

63November

Single-Sixer
Don't discount "only" a 2.5 (or the 45-70). The other bear in my sig pics was taken at 246 yards with an identical 2.5X Weaver and the 45-70. You may want just a bit more power if deer sized critters are on the tag and you think you'll be taking 300 yard shots. But for big stuff, there is nothing wrong with "low power", and you'll never get caught trying to find your target with the power turned up higher when things happen quick.

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
I love my 9.3 as well. It may get the nod this year for an upcoming Bison hunt.

Still wish it was a 24" barrel but guess you can't have it all

Dave

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
:D Wow, my 9.3 #! came in today and it is a beauty. The buttstock looks near AAA grade especially on the right side. The left side is not as nice but it would be difficult to be. The forearm is more plain but the color matches well. I cleaned the bore well and took some of the rounds that I loaded last week using Varget and the 270g Speer out in the yard to my 25 yard range. It was dark and damp and cloudy this evening and I couldn't see the sights great but was able to powder 3 4x4" chert cobbles with 3 shots offhand at 25 yards. Recoil wasn't bad-about like a stiff 12ga load it seems. I am going to like this rifle; always wanted a #1 and was just waiting for an unusual shootable caliber. I almost bought a 375 H&H several times but glad I waited for the 9.3. Have any of yall shot cast lead or paper patched bullets out of your 9.3s? I will post some pix when I get some decent light outside. Life is good. TnTnTn