NRA Vaquero Matched Set ... How is this for my first Ruger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pitbill

Bearcat
Hello all. One of my first posts around here and I thought it may be fitting to show my first Ruger Experience (a set of the "Friends of the NRA" Vaquero Matched Set.) I currently own several other brands and styles of handguns, but these being my first Rugers in which I don't think I have done very badly at all. I picked up this set in a trade yesterday from a gentleman who won them in a local gunshow raffle about 3 weeks ago. I really don't know too much about them other than what I have read on the "Friends of NRA" website. I couldn't seem to find much about them here doing a search either. Perhaps someone else who has a set like this can add a little more info if there is anything else to say about them (or value)? I can say that I am very impressed by the fit, feel, and quality of both of them. Unfortuantely, they seem almost too nice to shoot and perhaps more of a collectable item.

I have never really had an appeal to single action revolvers in the past, but recently I have been taken in by them after seeing my local club sponsor some cowboy action shooting matches. So along with shopping around locally and lurking on this board for a while with countless hours of looking at pictures that many of you have posted I have also decided to buy a set of consec. #'s Birdshead Vaqueros which will be arriving next week. Although I am unsure of whether or not I am going to keep the NRA set since I like to own guns for "shooting" rather than just "collecting", I do feel that I now have some of the finest quality guns I have ever owned. I just hope these Rugers don't become an addiction like I had with my 1911's or I'll end up broke and divorced...Although, those ROA's look pretty tempting as well. :wink:

100_1024%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

100_1025%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

pitbill

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":1y4c6de5 said:
Now you need shooters!

Yup! In a big kind of way! I guess that's my dilema. I can't really afford to keep these and buy shooters as well. These may possibly be moved to the classifieds pretty soon as I am getting the "itch" to go out and blast something. :lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Ok, you have a set of matching guns, done as the "Guns of the Year" for the FONRA events. Approximately 1125 sets were made especially for these events. Unique serial numbering in that the only difference is the "L" & "R" for left & right. Average sale vale at events has been around $2000 a set. I have seen one set sell for $1750, and a few sell for the $3000 mark. If by chance your set is a single digit set, then I know a guy who would pay a premium.
Most sets will be put up & not shot, but a few sets will get used.

pitbill

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. I guess mine were some of the last made then... looks to be #'s 1110 ( so only 15 sets were made after these I suppose?)

pitbill

Bearcat
I think I've decided to try and sell 'em (moving to the classifieds.) I don't think I am bold enough to go out and shootin' 'em so I think I will try and get some of the same model only in stainless, perhaps with consec #'s to still have a little collectability. But I did learn one thing from my trading experience, I love the feel of Vaqueros and am truly hooked on the single actions! Geez, what took me so long? :D

americal

Hunter
I believe you will like the Birdshead Vaq's, Neat looking guns & fun to shoot --you are headed for some single actions :) look at website-wwwgunblast.com for a lot of information on Rugers. WELCOME TO FORUM-join RENE also this forum tells you how 8)

pitbill

Bearcat
Oh, gotta' love gunblast.com. Spent many a' hours on there as well reading the reviews. I'll give the other a shot.

Rclark

Hunter
Shoot 'em, that's what I'd do.
Me too. All guns are meant to be shot! Period. I've yet to see a gun manufacturer say that these guns should not be used..... Otherwise just own some plastic guns, paint 'em, and look at 'em. :) Nice pair of shooters!

Knuckles

Buckeye
Save them... sell them... trade them... don't shoot that pair. :eek:

The Bird'shead Vaqueros are nice... I had a couple .45LC's at different times... sold them each time to try other models. That's how poor people play "gun collector". :wink: