NR: Lyman Pistol & Revolver Handbook

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bearing01

Bearcat
I'm going to order the Lyman 49th reloading handbook.

There's also a Lyman Pistol and Revolver handbook.

Is the pistol handbook just a copy / section out of their 49th edition? Is it worth buying both? I'm getting the 49th regardless. How good is the pistol book?

fyi
NR: Need Recommendation

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
My newest Lyman "Reloading Handbook" is the 47th edition. However, I DO have the 2nd edition of their "Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook."
I can't really answer your question fairly about whether or not Lyman's Pistol & Revolver book is worth it or not because that's the one Lyman Manual I use most often. In fact, I could get by just fine without my Lyman 47 edition manual - I almost always use other company's manuals when loading for rifles. But I almost always refer to my Lyman Pistol & Revolver manual when I'm working up a load for a handgun.
I CAN answer your other question though - no, the Pistol & Revolver manual is not just a copy of handgun reloading section of the large Lyman Reloading handbook. Take the .44 magnum section for example: The big Lyman Handbook lists 13 bullets, up to 275 grains. While the 44 magnum section of the Pistol & Revolver manual lists 16 bullets, up to 325 grains. Also, the Pistol and Revolver manual includes a section of recommended Accuracy, Hunting and Silhouette loads for many of the handgun cartridges listed.
Is it worth it? Yeah, to me it is. But like I said, Lyman's large Reloading Handbook is the one I personally could live without. I guess it depends on whether you load mostly for handguns or rifles. I like Speer, Hornady and Hodgdon manuals for rifles. I mostly use my Lyman Pistol & Revolver manual, and/or Loadbooks for handguns.
I hope that helps. :)

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
You're beat me bearing01. I sent you a PM, but by the time I got back to the main board you'd already replied to my post.
Anyway, you're welcome. Glad I could help. :)

dg101win

Single-Sixer
Now that bearing01's question is answered I have one.
Ninety nine and 44/100 percent of my handgun loading is with cast bullets. So I take it that I would be better off with the Lyman cast bullet handbook over the Lyman pistol and revolver handbook?

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
dg101win":39smrn6p said:
Now that bearing01's question is answered I have one.
Ninety nine and 44/100 percent of my handgun loading is with cast bullets. So I take it that I would be better off with the Lyman cast bullet handbook over the Lyman pistol and revolver handbook?

Maybe. I think you'd have to compare the two books side by side. What I mean is, again using the .44 Magnum as an example, my Lyman Pistol & Revolver Manual lists loads for 9 different cast bullets, while my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook only lists loads for 6 different cast bullets in the .44 Magnum. But my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is really old - 2 years older than my oldest daughter in fact, and she's 34. :)
It would probably be better if you could compare a newer version of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook to their Pistol & Revolver Handbook. Besides, it just might be that neither of them lists loads for the particular handgun bullets you're using. I have a lot of different load manuals and still end up having to interpolate every once in a while.

jforwel

Bearcat
To answer dg101's question, the Cast Bullet Handbook has more cast bullet loads for some cartridges than the 48th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. For example the Cast Bullet Handbook has loads for four different cast bullets for the .41 magnum where as the Reloading Handbook only has one cast bullet listed. Of course the Reloading handbook has tons of jacketed bullet data too, should you ever need that. You might consider both.

Oops! I just noticed that you are talking about the Pistol & Revolver book.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

The Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, 2nd edition, was my first reloading manual. It's the one I used when I taught myself how to reload. I bought it because I was principally interested in reloading for handguns at the time, not rifles. Never worried too much about whether or not it was a rehash of what was in the bigger Lyman manual, it served me very well when I was learning to reload.

These days, in addition to online loading info at the powder makers' websites I use the Lee and Speer manual along with the Lyman Pistol and Revolver manual. I also have the Lyman Cast Bullet manual. Still have not picked up the standard Lyman manual. Don't seem to miss it much.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Just to confuse things....I recently purchased the 49th edition of the standard Lyman manual. When I compare it to my 47th edition I see that there are fewer loads for the 41 magnum in the 49th edition. To my mind, if you are a 41 magnum shooter the 49th edition is less useful than the 47th edition. I realize the new manual reflects the current market but that doesn't help me.

Bottom line is you can't have too many loading manuals. Sure, there will be overlap but you'll also fill some holes. I like the Lyman manuals because they seem to cover a wider selection of bullet and powder manufacturers, if you buy the Sierra manual you get info about only their bullets. (And rightfully so)

wlhawk

Bearcat
I try to keep several reloading manuals available as there is a very wide selection of bullet and powder available.