Now it's an "uncollectible" OM Super

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tek4260

Buckeye
101_1605.jpg

101_1606.jpg

101_1607.jpg

101_1608.jpg

Picked up a beater OM Super from GB. Little too cold to hunt all day so I came home early and spent a couple of hours tinkering and cutting. Tried a screw attached sight for the first time. Still not sure I like it, but I can always come back and solder another sight in its place. Besides, I used a junk take off sight and a junk screw with a boogered head, so it's no great loss if I decide to change it. Couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in one of my new .595 sights. I also cut the barrel a bit longer than 4 5/8" to keep the sight and the ERH from being flush to see if I like that look. If I change my mind, I can always come back and take a bit more off to flush everything up. I bet it is still worth a good bit more than I paid :wink:

tek4260

Buckeye
flatgate":22178j7l said:
Bottom line: how's it shoot?

Looks like a fun project.

flatgate

Don't know yet... didn't take the time to shoot it before :oops:

It took about an hour and a half from start to finish. All done with hand tools. The only specialty tools used were the Brownells 11deg crowning tool and a punch that is sized to fit in the holes of common bases ect that use 6-48 threads. The longest part of course is cutting the barrel with a hacksaw. To locate the sight, I used the ol eyeball, but verified it by clamping a couple of pieces of key stock to the factory sight and making sure the new fit right inbetween them. I have tried levels and various other methods of centering the sight, but clamping the straight pieces of square steel to the factory sight and using that as a guide seems to be the best method to me. Of course if something different than a Ruger sight was used, this wouldn't work.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I think its still plenty collectible, really only low SN and all original 98% guns are the most collectible. In any case, you have a gun you enjoy now.

tek4260

Buckeye
boomslang":3d9kengt said:
I like it too. I don't think it is uncollectable. There are many that would love to have an om like that.

Remember this one:
IMG_0470-1-1.jpg

It came from you!

But it had a long barrel.... Thats why I never shot it! If I had, it would have stayed. I remember the groups you posted... :D

Just cant bring myself to shoot a long barrel pistol... May like it and I only have holsters for short ones! :wink: