now I'm happy with the new 22/45-

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I traded a fairly accurate MK III for a new threaded barrel 22/45 so I could use "muzzle attachments". OK so far, at least until I started shooting the pistol. I seemed to be having more difficulty than usual hitting what I shot at. I blamed my aging lookers for the problem and went to considerable effort to take my vision out of the equation. I added a 3x pistol scope and a muzzle extension so I could get a good bed on the sandbags.
At the bench this morning, groups still scattered wider than tolerable. 25 yard groups exceeding 3" is unacceptable. I should be getting 3" groups at 100 yards. I have a couple more types of ammo to try and I've done a thorough bore cleaning. If things don't improve, I'm not going to be in a good mood.

dingode

Single-Sixer
How's the trigger? My dad's MKIII 22/45 LITE trigger pull feels like sandpaper compared the trigger pull on my MKI target or my MKII competition.

reloader

Single-Sixer
The trigger pull on my 22/45 Lite was pretty lousy. The magazine was hard to insert and remove. I ordered a hammer bushing from Tandemcross that eliminated the magazine safety an that helped quite a bit. There was also a problem with the magazine release retainer rubbing on the trigger bar. The trigger is much better now and the mags insert and remove like they should.

I installed the TK bushing before the first shot. The 3X scope has crosshairs and dot. The dot stays right on the aiming point as the shot is fired. The solid aluminum 8" barrel extension bedded firmly on sandbags holds the pistol in place. The only thing more solid would be clamping the barrel in a vice. I can do that but didn't expect it would be necessary. I gave the bore a "vigorous" cleaning but didn't find any real nastiness like big slivers of lead or even significant powder fouling. We'll see how it goes today.
If a decent shooter was firing the pistol using the factory sights, the spread likely would be normal-though I'd expect better. My old 22/45 is far more accurate than this-even w/o the scope.

Bore cleaning and change to old stock Remington HV solid has me back to 1.5-2" @ 25 yards. Maybe this is good enough although I was hoping for better but it may improve with more shooting. Going to shoot few more groups after noon to confirm.

Well, whatever the problem was, it seems to have been resolved by shooting 20-30 shots and cleaning for 4 cycles. I've never done this before with a 22 rimfire.
Here's how it went today. Since the pistol had been keeping it's hits on a 2.5" diamond swinger at 40-50 yards, I thought I might as well try the next level. I'm not sure I should tell this but here goes. I moved the swinger to the 100 yard backstop and took a few shots to figure out the drop. After finding the elevation allowance(much less than I'd expected) the next 3 consecutive shots hit the 2.5" diamond. That's when I quit and called it done.
I'm not bragging about my shooting since this is under very structured conditions. I'm just passing on the remedy for what I found with this specific pistol. If you have a new 22 that isn't up to expectations, maybe multiple shoot/clean cycles will help you. I've cleaned this pistol more in 7 days than I have my old trapline pistol in the last 7 years.

JFB

Hunter
glad to hear you got the accuracy to improve.

the next thing I was expecting to hear was aggrovation about the difficulty in disassembly and reassembling.

"the next thing I was expecting to hear was aggrovation about the difficulty in disassembly and reassembling."

Not my most favorite task but after 1/2 dozen times, I'm getting the knack for it.l Tom asked me if I was ready to install a TK bushing in his LITE and I surprised him by saying "OK". I still don't recommend dis-assembly after every shooting session. I'm actually only pulling the bolt for cleaning chamber to muzzle. I could do the same job with a pull through but wouldn't be able to use the super tight patches I've been using.
BTW
I couldn't consistently replicate the 100 yard hits today-too much wind. Still, Tom thought hitting the swinger at 50 was beyond the capability of a 4" pistol until he tried it.