Now considering bobbing my Super Redhawk's barrel.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
As I have recently talked about here, I have a safe queen 9.5 inch Super Redhawk. I've read posts where folks are really happy with their Alaskans, and have seriously thought about cutting my SRH to 3.5 inches or so to just behind the billboard. Anyone done this at home? I'm a tool and die maker (without a lathe at home) but lots of hand tools. Still have my 10 inch Super Blackhawk so I wouldn't be without a bonus-barreled revolver. Pictures sure would be helpful in my decision. Thanks, Don

Flash

Buckeye
There was a fella on one of the forums who did just that. He even had a front sight installed and I have to tell ya, it loked good. I can't recall whether it was here or somewhere else but it was a first rate job.

G2

Hunter
I once thought about doing this too, then found the real deal. I still have these in my gallery.
Ripped off photo's :shock:
bobedruger45444.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Sturgell

Bearcat
From the prices on Gunbroker it seems that this would make economic sense especially if you are capable of doing it yourself.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
SRH_07.JPG

I'm one of those fellas that bobbed his gun because he couldn't find an Alaskan in .480.....

SRH-001a.JPG

I used hand tools and a drill press. If I had access to a free facing and chamfering tool, I _surely_ would use that rather than files, sandpaper and a machinist's square.....http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=46305/pid=18282/sku/Brass_One_Caliber_Set_fits__480_Ruger_Muzzle

Here is a page with lots of pics and tech info.
http://www.spokanister.net/Guns_Bobbed_SRH.html

Go for it - I don't think you will regret it. Just be darned careful, measure thrice, cut once. You will end up with a dandy pen holder for your office desk:

SRH_08.JPG

Please post pics and tell us how it went.

John Davies
Spokane WA

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
John E Davies":1mvh0ov0 said:
SRH_07.JPG

I'm one of those fellas that bobbed his gun because he couldn't find an Alaskan in .480.....

SRH-001a.JPG

I used hand tools and a drill press. If I had access to a free facing and chamfering tool, I _surely_ would use that rather than files, sandpaper and a machinist's square.....http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=46305/pid=18282/sku/Brass_One_Caliber_Set_fits__480_Ruger_Muzzle

Here is a page with lots of pics and tech info.
http://www.spokanister.net/Guns_Bobbed_SRH.html

Go for it - I don't think you will regret it. Just be darned careful, measure thrice, cut once. You will end up with a dandy pen holder for your office desk:

SRH_08.JPG

Please post pics and tell us how it went.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I love that pen holder. I makes me want to go find SRH! :D

Footedshaft

Bearcat
I too missed the boat on the Alaskan .480 so I bought a BFR 475/480 for hunting and chopped my SRH to 3.5" for easy packing for fishing and camping trips. With H110 and 400 gr Hardcasts I get an average of 1086 fps. The balance is great and have NO regrets! :D Good luck with your decision...
CustomChop.jpg
[/img]

Tallbald

Buckeye
Oh my goodness folks those words of encouragement and photos are wonderful. My mind is made up-- I will do it myself and hope the results are as good as those I have seen here. You know, I'm old enough that as a youngster I remember Ike in office and I have weathered a lot of life-altering events during the last decade. On one hand I could say "oh no I could ruin my Ruger" but on the other hand it's mine, and I'm not beholdin to anyone for it. Wish me good fortune all, and thanks to all for inspiration. Don

Sturgell

Bearcat
I would see if there is someone that would rent you a facing tool and an 11 degree crown cutting tool just to make sure it will still shoot but other than that I would chop it up. :lol:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Good suggestion, but nobody in these parts I know of has a crowning tool I can rent/borrow I know of. I think a good square careful cut and crown is a sufficient start, and worst case scenario I take it to my smith for a pro crown.

Sturgell

Bearcat
You might post up in the Ruger-Smithing forum, offer up a deposit and possibly a rental fee. Who knows someone may have one that doesn't get used often that they would be willing to let someone use.

maxpress

Buckeye
if it was my gun i think i would feel safer just spending the 100-150 to have it chopped. then a little extera to have a dovetail cut so i could change frontsights.
just my 2 cents.

anything that gets a safequeen out though. :lol:

Sturgell

Bearcat
maxpress":ip71x68l said:
if it was my gun i think i would feel safer just spending the 100-150 to have it chopped. then a little extera to have a dovetail cut so i could change frontsights.
just my 2 cents.

anything that gets a safequeen out though. :lol:

Some people take pride in knowing that they learned how to do something, especially something as simple as cutting a barrel with hand tools and getting good results.

maxpress

Buckeye
agreed, thats why i forge knives.
i personally would feel that i might screw up an $800 gun and dont know how difficult it is to change the barrel on a SRH. i know that a barrel swap on a RH is no problem, i have done that before.

the dovetail front sight is a dream though and whichever the OP does i would suggest it.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
maxpress":2ozsgc18 said:
agreed, thats why i forge knives.
i personally would feel that i might screw up an $800 gun and dont know how difficult it is to change the barrel on a SRH. i know that a barrel swap on a RH is no problem, i have done that before.

the dovetail front sight is a dream though and whichever the OP does i would suggest it.

The last I heard, even Hamilton Bowen won't try to unscrew the barrel on a SRH. He says the threads get ripped off doing it, because of the way the barrels are installed on them.
EarlFH

Latest posts