Not sure where to post this - protection in bear country ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sudsy

Bearcat
We recently bought a motor home (both be retired before Christmas)
27' Leprechaun - Having a 4x4 conversion and lift done in January down at U-Joint in NC
We plan on having some offroad adventures out west on BLM lands

Getting information on what we can legally carry in the camper in all lower 48 states has been difficult.
I'm leaning towards a bullpup style pump shotgun and revolver
Bullpup obviously in 12 gauge - looking at the Keltech KS7, good size and I like the fact that it's ambidextrous (ejects straight down) as my wife is a lefty

Revolver has me stumped - do I really need a Casull in grizzly country or is a 44 mag enough (if the bear spray doesn't work)?

What's the verdict on the Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull 5 Inch ?

Sudsy

Bearcat
BLM is Federal land, which means your gun has to be unloaded and the ammo in a whole different area of the vehicle
The nice thing about BLM is you can shoot on most of it

Wait... what ? This is confusing

Cholo

Staff member
I'd be more concerned about the legality of what you're transporting/carrying than the actual firearms. Learn what the laws are regarding RV traveling with long guns and handguns. This is by far the best resource I've found that will answer your questions while keeping you out of trouble. Have fun!

Sudsy

Bearcat
I have no problem keeping things separate while we're moving, it's hiking in bear country and making camp out by ourselves when I want to be properly prepared.

Sudsy

Bearcat
Snakes ? Oh chit !
I'm from central NJ near the beach, all we have are harmless little garter snakes.

Sudsy

Bearcat
Thanks
One more reason for a good shotgun

I just read through that entire HandGunLaw site - seems that so long as the guns are unloaded and locked in a case, separate from the ammo which should also be locked in a case, I can drive anywhere. (Maryland is pretty sketchy - even worse than NJ) Once I'm parked is when the laws for an RV which is now a domicile become a bit hazy.

Sudsy

Bearcat
"Always error on the side of caution"
No need to tell me that - I'm from the Peoples Republic of NJ where we're not allowed to do anything except sit quietly in front of the glowing box (I can't wait to escape)

Sudsy

Bearcat
buckaroo, back out of this thread. Not another post, got it?
It's fine, I'm taking most of it with a grain of salt and having fun with it.
(I've been moderating a large fishing site for 20 years, I'm not exactly a noob)

dweis

Blackhawk
Bear spray is your best friend. If it does not stop the bear, it will slow it down enough to draw your pistol. I e]recommend a chest holster for bear country. I'd go with 44 magnum loaded with Underwood Extreme Penetrator, which was designed for the kind of threat you might face.

Traveling with the gun ……….. since a gun in a vehicle requires a permit in many states I suggest you I suggest you follow the advice my attorney gave me. I travel from to NH every summer. My PA permit is not honored in NJ, NY, CT, MA, and I have to travel through all of them to get to NH. The advice I received was two fold. Lock all ammo in a box placed in a hard to access spot in the vehicle. Breakdown your firearm and state it in two separate places in the vehicle. If it is not assembled it is a bunch of gun parts not a gun. Once you assemble it, it is a working gun. That disassembly is a defense if you get prosecuted. As recommended in a post above, use the info at handgunlaw.us as a basis for planning.

Sudsy

Bearcat
Breakdown your firearm and state it in two separate places in the vehicle. If it is not assembled it is a bunch of gun parts not a gun

That's good ! Thank you.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
BLM is Federal land, which means your gun has to be unloaded and the ammo in a whole different area of the vehicle
The nice thing about BLM is you can shoot on most of it

Wait... what ? This is confusing
I shoot and hunt on BLM land all the time.
This is the first I have ever heard of that.
Breakdown your firearm and state it in two separate places in the vehicle. If it is not assembled it is a bunch of gun parts not a gun

That's good ! Thank you.
I don't know how different States view that , but I am pretty sure the ATF considers any part with a serial number a firearm.

I don't wish to upset anyone but the 454 and similar power level handguns are an 'expert's gun' due to the heavy recoil. Even a high end 44 mag in a medium weight revolver is tough to shoot well.
Many years ago, my older Son and I spent a week in the Gallatin valley south of Bozeman MT. We carried a folding stock 20" barrel REmington 870 and a S&W 624 loaded to the upper end of 44 Sp (Elmer Keith) hard cast lead loads.
Turns out we were stomping around in the home territory of a Mama Griz with a cub but fortunately didn't make contact. I was a good shot at the time and had full confidence in my ability to place the bullets properly. Son was proficient with the 12 gauge if needed.
I'd suggest equipping yourself with multiple bear spray cannisters and a couple boat air horns for those areas where firearms are banned and possibly a 4-6" heavy frame 44 magnum handgun that you are comfortable shooting.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
You know...I live in grizz country. Have had 'em close many times and many years ago had to shoot a bear..yep he wanted to eat me or something. I do not recommend a handgun. I happened to be very lucky. ...VERY. I know 5 people that have been attacked by grizzlies. It is ugly. I also know 3 who used bear spray...It MAY work. In the country I carry a Benelli M1 Super 90 with extended mag tube and pistol grip (AR style) It is full of foster slugs. I can empty it and hit what I'm looking at in about 6 seconds. . A bear attack usually happens at very short range..Learn to shoot slugs. Carry bear spray and try to use it . Oh another thing...travel in groups.. make noise. Bear attacks are scary but rare. A handgun is a pretty poor bear stopper...but better than nothing. If you see the bear and he comes after you...you have 4-8 seconds to stop it. Learn to shoot quickly. I have a married couple I taught to shoot. They both carry 9mms(duh...but they shoot well) in a chest rig when hiking. They did use bear spray...once. I don't know if they've gone hiking since. I still carry my old 1960s S&W 4 inch 41 mag. Well.. it worked once!

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I read a book on Lewis & Clark's expedition, and I'd rather not be in a Grizzley's habitat! If you are, you'd sure want to avoid walking into a tall grasses and shrubbery and blind turns on the trails. A dog might help you but then again, if chased they might just bring a Grizz back to you! LOL!

My MIL & ex hubby were fishing in Alaska alongside a stream near by the road and had their little dog next to them. Decent sized stream with 3 to 4 ft of water. They looked up and a Grizzly was on the other bank. That bear could have come across that stream like it wasn't there. They left promptly!

No thank you!

Last edited:
I don't wish to upset anyone but the 454 and similar power level handguns are an 'expert's gun' due to the heavy recoil. Even a high end 44 mag in a medium weight revolver is tough to shoot well...

(Wish I had got that advice before I bought my Super Blackhawk 45 years ago - fortunately, I learned about .44 Special shortly thereafter! ;>)

Here's a link to a well-researched article over at Ammoland:

I'm not telling anyone to avoid carrying a big-bore magnum, but I think hitting the target repeatedly & effectively may be the most important factor!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Snakes ? Oh chit !
I'm from central NJ near the beach, all we have are harmless little garter snakes.

In the South, you've got a lot more to be aware of than the occasional bear. We also have alligators (big ones), and lot's of wild hogs (nasty disposition), in addition to venomous snakes that don't have rattles to warn you. All that said, most of the wild critters will leave you alone if abide by their rules. It is their turf after all, not yours. People are the invasive species in the wild.

Last edited:

Latest posts