Not so famous race.......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My musing about the auto marque passing since WW II reminded me of this:

In the late 'Forties (1940s) there was a local debate about which was faster, the Cadilac or the Hudson. Two local men, or some substance, made a bet, on which was faster, and set a course from Holly Springs, Mississippi to Memphis, coming up US Hwy. 78. One owned a Cadillac the other a Hudson. The highway was closed down to normal traffic for the race and folks followed it closely, likely making side bets as well.

Well, the race began but ended when on of the participants ran off into a cotton field. So the question went unanswered.

Bob Wright

KIR

Blackhawk
I remember reading about Hudson being a championship car in the early 1950's. Turns out it won NASCAR in '51, '52 and '53. I got to drive a Hudson once and it had a smooth suspension system, moreso than any other car I have ever driven.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
I remember reading about Hudson being a championship car in the early 1950's. Turns out it won NASCAR in '51, '52 and '53. I got to drive a Hudson once and it had a smooth suspension system, moreso than any other car I have ever driven.
A buddy and I used to thumb our way to high school to save bus fare. About every other morning, an old guy would stop and pick us up in a '52 Hudson. BIG back seat (there were three six-footers!)

Reactions: KIR

eveled

Hunter
If any of you didn’t get forced to watch Disneys Cars movie. One of the characters is a Championship winning Hudson. He gives the main racing car character advice. It is also a tribute to old rt66 and the way things were in the hey day.

I thought it was cool how it gave the kids a history lesson. It made for some good conversations with my kids.

Great movie for anyone.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
Lol. I like Hot Rod Lincoln but I love Little Cobra. Never heard the version you posted and it’s cool. Listened twice. I’m not a Beach Boy fan but I like this, sure you guys all know it

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Hot Rod Race is an earlier song Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen did Hot Rod Lincoln to tell the story of the “Kid in a hopped up Model A” at the end of Hot Rod Race”.

Little side note Cody pronounces San Pedro in the Spanish way. Jimmie Dolan is from the city of Gardena in SoCal. It’s not far from San Pedro and pronounced it the way locals do “ San Peedro”.

I know this because I am born, raised and still live in Pedro. Colonial Girl can confirm the pronunciation because she lived for a time in “Wilmas” aka Wilmington.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Deadman’s Curve turned out to be prophetic. And sadly Deadman’s Curve is no more. Between traffic and traffic lights you’ll be lucky to do the speed limit on Sunset Blvd these days. They’ve even just about done away with cruisin’ in Hollywood. You’ll get a ticket today.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
It was Hudson that introduced the low profile with the floorboard being lowered. Their slogan at the time was that the Hudson was "the only car you step down into."

That slogan became a prominent buzzword during the day. Once, Bob Hope, broadcasting from New York City, and after that area experience a long drought, quipped "the Hudson River is the only river you can step down into."

Wow! Hudson and Bob Hope!

Bob Wright

KS25-06

Bearcat
Not necessarily a car song, but one of my favorite songs and the movie, when I was young, was The Ballad of Thunder Road. Starred Robert Mitchum and he sang the song. Story of boot leggers in the Tennesse hills.

Latest posts