Not Really My Thing-Updated With Pictures

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Okay so for whatever reason it isn't letting me add any text to the pictures. Probably because they are huge. The first picture is a B17 Flying Fortress. The second a B1B. The third an A-10 Warthog.
Apparently a minor board hitch--I've had the same thing happen when I quote another post. I found out all you have to do is hit your refresh button, and the page will repaint with space to add your text, the way it should have originally. Not a bid deal.

See, you DID learn something today! ;)

Mike J

Hunter
No, that's a P-40N Warhawk, apparently incorrectly painted as an AVG "Flying Tiger." (Unless General Scott actually flew an N-model marked that way later on in the war--I'd have to research it.)
I may have remembered wrong. I was trying to remember the correct nomenclature. My eleven year old son is actually more knowledgeable about all of this than I am. I remember seeing the "God is my co-pilot" bumper stickers in the 70's but I did not realize it was a book & a movie. They had a large area in the biggest building dedicated to his stuff & one of the smaller buildings named after him. You reminded me I'm going to search the streaming services & see if I can find that movie.

KIR

Sparks, NV
SR-71 #17958 is a speed record holder which is still held today. Interestingly enough the throttles were set not to exceed certain limits, so it has actually never achieved its maximum speed

dannyd

Buckeye
That B-17 picture triggered my memory. My wife's uncle, Robert (Bob) Mazzacane, was a radio operator on B-17 "Rosie's Riveters" (418th Bomber Sqdn, 100th Bomb Group) on the day it was shot down over Germany (May 12, 1944). Bob and the other crewmembers bailed out and were captured. Bob fractured his hip (which was later replaced multiple times). Bob remained a PoW until war's end. The link below includes an interview given by a civilian, Markus Obel, who as a youth lived near the site where the B-17 crashed.

Spin fast forward to 2005. Mazzacane, by then my son's godfather, gave my son (a Chinook maintainer then stationed in Germany with the Army's 1st Armored Division) contact information about the German civilian, Obel, who had given that interview. My son made contact with, and then had a lengthy visit with Obel. This was a great way to "close the loop" and made Bob Mazzacane a happy man.

During and after his 40+ career as an electrical engineer with GE, Bob undertook the role as an unofficial historian/biographer of the 418th Bomber Sqdn, 100th Bomb Group. In his will, Bob bequeathed all of his WW II documents to my son. Those documents contain a trove of fascinating information about Bob's fellow crew members and their unit.

Last edited:

pyth0n

Buckeye
No, that's a P-40N Warhawk, apparently incorrectly painted as an AVG "Flying Tiger." (Unless General Scott actually flew an N-model marked that way later on in the war--I'd have to research it.)
Scott may have flown the N after the 14th AAF moved in & appropriated the Flying Tiger name & emblem. The AVG flew up to the E, IIRC.
(I confused Him with Prescott at first).

pyth0n

Buckeye
I may have remembered wrong. I was trying to remember the correct nomenclature. My eleven year old son is actually more knowledgeable about all of this than I am. I remember seeing the "God is my co-pilot" bumper stickers in the 70's but I did not realize it was a book & a movie. They had a large area in the biggest building dedicated to his stuff & one of the smaller buildings named after him. You reminded me I'm going to search the streaming services & see if I can find that movie.
That's a good Picture of my favorite Acft and WW II history story.

I took a friend of mine to the Canadian Warplane Museum in Hamilton Ontario in 2001. He was 82 years old and had been a radioman-gunner on a B24 Liberator with 35 missions in Europe in 1944 and 1945. One of the museum docents saw his flight jacket and quietly asked me about it. I told him that it was the real thing. The place literally rolled out the red carpet for my friend. I know that it was one of the best days of his life. I felt honored to be able to do something like that for a deserving veteran. He truly was one of the Greatest Generation

el caminero

Single-Sixer
Re: the blackbird; i have repeatedly been told that instead of 'ichi bon', "bei ichi" properly means "number One", but whatever, anyway, the snake is a "Habu", deadly two-step sort of thing that the plane was called in some locales.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
SR-71 #17958 is a speed record holder which is still held today. Interestingly enough the throttles were set not to exceed certain limits, so it has actually never achieved its maximum speed
True statement (well, the first part, for certain). The second part? Maybe not.
We had one of the USAF developmental pilots of the SR-71, who later flew it operationally, speak at an SETP symposium years ago. This speech occurred not too long after the P-3 made the emergency landing on Hainan Island. In his speech, he told the story of that island being a turn-point outbound from reconnaissance missions, long years before. The enemy figured that out somehow, and stationed some of their biggest, best SA missiles on the island. One of their missions, on their way out, the enemy fired several of those missiles in the blind, before the SR-71 got there, as they wouldn't have made it to the Blackbird's altitude until after it was long gone if they didn't. They saw the missiles start ascending ahead of the SR-71, and the only option was to push the throttles up (they we going to fast already to make any significant turn). He claimed he pushed them to the firewall as the missiles continued their upward trajectory. He told us, "Never let anyone tell you an SA-5 [I think it was] cannot reach 100,000 ft." The missiles disappeared under their nose, and they held their breath, watching the rear-view periscope. In a few seconds, the missiles arced toward them to follow, but ran out of gas and speed and fell. He looked down at the airspeed, and said he saw a speed he had never seen before nor since. He would not divulge that speed, and they slowed down as soon as they saw the missiles fail and noticed the airspeed.

That guy was a great speaker. He had begun his speech with, "How many of you pilots in here have flown Mach 3?" He acted a little surprised when one guy raised his hand, until he recognized him as one of Lockheeds civilian developmental pilots he had worked with during the developmental program. Another good line was, "You've never really been lost until you're lost at Mach 3."

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Re: the blackbird; i have repeatedly been told that instead of 'ichi bon', "bei ichi" properly means "number One", but whatever, anyway, the snake is a "Habu", deadly two-step sort of thing that the plane was called in some locales.
Well, myn old pharse book says "Ichi Bon" for No. 1 and "ju bon" for No. 10. Also, "banjo" for the bathroom. As I remember it was "banjowa, doko nei deshka" fro "where is the bathroom?" And, there were no "his" and "hers" in Tokyo. "Sameo sameo"

Bob Wright