Not overly crazy about the LCRX-3 finish....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Spleenless Dave

Single-Sixer
After sending one back because I got it back from Ruger with scrapes all over the top of the barrel after a repair to the rear sight, they sent me a brand new one (Thank you, Ruger!) but on pulling it out of the bag, it has small scuffs on it and it's new. I guess it's a given that the satin finish is pretty much going to get beat up quickly, no?

It seems like I've seen pics of LCR's and the 3" LCRX like mine online that had a shinier finish that wouldn't show scratches like this does. It makes me want to try to buff it to go ahead and just get the flat finish to shine a bit which wouldn't show every scrape from barely touching it. I know it's a gun and will get some wear and tear, but this finish seems like an odd choice for a pistol that gets handled a lot. I held a new LCR years ago and don't remember it being so flat.

Anyone buffed theirs or done anything to the finish on the aluminum?

DGW1949

Hunter
Aluminum is a soft metal, so once you put the gun into service, it's going to exhibit dents 'n dings sooner or later, no matter how it's finished.
As for preventing scratches, you've got it backwards...meaning that polishing the finish to a shine may make it look pretty, but it's also remove the factory "hard-coating"...which, if I understand your post correctly, will probably prove to be counter productive to your stated goal.

DGW

Spleenless Dave

Single-Sixer
I figured it would be beat up a bit with use, but it seems like I've seen some LCR's with less of a "flat black" look and more of a harder satin finish. That was on ones I saw years back and held, but some pics look that way too. Maybe they changed the finish a bit. I noticed on the LCRX that Ruger replaced that even the cylinder finish changed from the one they kept to the one they sent me. The one I sent in had a metallic shine to the cylinder, more iike plated metal and the new one has almost a "painted" finish and is more satin. Just seems odd to change from gun to gun.

Hell, I don't know. :lol: