NOT another run-of-the-mill Canadian Centennial set question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

homer308

Bearcat
Hello all!

I'm kinda puzzled and am looking for input - I inherited a Ruger-Remington set (notice how I got the order correct in how it's pronounced?) that is not the one-box set, but the two box set - serials are C428 and C0428 respectively.

The 10/22 (non-checkered version) is NIB; however, the 742 has been fired - it was used deer hunting for a year and put up afterward. Condition is very good however, with only a few minor stock marks that could have occurred in the gunsafe, not necessarily in the field. In total, I would estimate it has had less than 3 boxes of shells through it back in the '90's.

Can anyone tell me what kind of a hit was done concerning value of this set because of this? Also, if there is a conservative number as to the value of each as they sit, I'd appreciate it from guys who KNOW about these things.

I've done some research and have some idea, but the point is I'm probably going to sell this set off; if the 742 value has been reduced to that of a beater '67 vintage Woodmaster, I may just keep it because of its history with me personally.

If anyone is interested, I can send pics - I'm probably going to make a final decision and post it up in the Classifieds here and on a few other boards in the next week or so -

Thanks for reading this and any comments or PM's are encouraged!

Have a great weekend!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
From my faded memory,, there were sets shipped together,, and there were individual guns shipped. If your set was together,, it helps the value. As for the "used" part of the Remington,, I'd deduct some from an expected price of a NIB set, by about 5%.
According to the blue bok, there were 3 different types of sets. The "lowest" grade a No 3 set in 100% are worth about $700 or so. A No 2 set of which only 70 sets were done,, are worth about $950 in 100%, and a No 1 special deluxe set of which only 30 sets were done are listed at $1150 in 100% condition. Now,, this was out of the 29th edition of the Blue Book. It's almost 1-1/2 years old already.

chet15

Hawkeye
All Canadian Centennial 742's were sold as a set with the 10/22....up to s/n C2008. Some of these sets were in a single box and some of them were individually boxed with an outer brown cardboard shipping sleeve around those two boxes. After C2008, you get the 10/22 singles.
The No.1 and No.2 grade sets were serial number specific, with different grades of wood. C428 should definitely be the common Number 3 grade. the Number 1 was serial numbered from C1 to C30 and had "C" grade wood (burly). The Number 2 set was serial numbered from C31 to C100 and had "B" grade wood and everything after that had standard 10/22 wood.
Chet15

homer308

Bearcat
Thanks for the info guys - it is appreciated!

I'm going to post them up in the classifieds tonight - got another deal going and something has to give!