Not a Ruger . . . S&W SD9 VE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
Has anyone ever shot the new SD9 VE? I see them all the time for $300 to $350. I know that this is supposed to be a combination of the best of the sigma and SD line.

The S&W guys seem to be stuck on the M&P line and call these crap. However I played with one at the gunshop and the trigger was not that bad.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have a friend that over the last 15 years has become a S&W semi-auto fan, He aquired a Model 39 and 59 that far back. Both were basically new in box safe queens. The 39 was one of the most inaccurate guns I have ever shoot and was/is ammo sensitive as heck. The 59 by contrast is pretty damn accurate and the trigger is nice. Both have been back to S&W for one reason or the other at least twice, the 59 likes to shed it's rear sight quite a bit.

I will now say and point out that I don't bash guns very much here, I respect the companies in the business and don't want someone to ever think that I am just some fanboy trying to steer someone my way. That being said.......

He recently was looking for a new pistol, he's more of a revolver guy, ended up with an M&P after checking out a Sigma and an SD9. I have shot M&P's before and hated the trigger on the few stock ones that I fired long enough to get a good feel for it. I mean I really hated them.
His is of course is the same, I find them mushy, the break seems to move all over the place at higher speeds as does the reset, I can't stand a semi-auto you can't shoot fast and consistently.
I have shot a couple with the Apex trigger mod and that is an improvement but would make that gun a range gun for me and I don't need a striker fired range gun.

I recently have fired an SD9 just a bit and that trigger is more like a Glock or Ruger feel but I didn't shoot it much as to give a great opinion. I thought the controls were cheap as hell though.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I looked at the SD and the SD ve and was amazed at the difference in triggers. I am really wanting someone who owns a ve to tell me if worth the money. I thought it would be a good just to have gun. I like the grip much more than glock and I already have a glock.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I had one of the SD's predecessors, a Sigma 9 mm and the trigger was horrible. The gun was 100% reliable but I never got used to the trigger. If the SD's trigger is close to the M&P's it should be fine.

I now have an M&P and, as received the trigger was good, certainly as good as the Glocks I've shot. My M&P now has an Apex kit and the trigger is much better.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Apex makes a nice 5lb trigger kit for the ve. Trigger doesn't feel anything like a sigma.

buckeyedave

Bearcat
I believe I read that the trigger on the SD VE's is about 8lbs which is sure an improvement over the older Sigma VE which I had that was about 12->14lbs. I loved the feel of that gun but I could never get comfortable with the trigger especially with my arthritic index finger.

I am thinking about a new SD VE also.

jlb070

Bearcat
I have 2 of the new SD9 VE's. They are great as far as i am concerned. Never had a failure on either.. Great buy for the money!!

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Yeah, the SD9VE is a great pistol for the money. S&W loves to corner the market in semi autos for low prices with "very good" overall quality. I loved my Sigma 9VE for $299 and 4 magazines brand new. Not one problem in 2500-3000 rounds. It took two fingers to pull the trigger....but for $299 it was fun 'til I sold it. Memo to potential buyers, the SD9VE will make you forget about the Sigma trigger. But still, the Sigma series allowed many people the opportunity to enter the hi-cap poly-gun world at a very reasonable price. I can see the SD9VE being offered at a great price with buyer rebates or additional free magazine deals like S&W did with the Sigma line eventually. Along with the Ruger SR series, the S&W SD9VE is a great gun for the price.

robilmichael

Bearcat
My son in-law just purchased one. It is about the size of a Glock 19, and slightly larger than my SR9c. The gun has a very nice finish, fit and overall quality feel. The sights are very good. The trigger is a bit long compared to the SR9c (especially since mine is fitted with a Ghost Rocket), but it is light, easy to press, and with a clean break. There is no problem keeping the gun on target throughtout the trigger press.

As far as accuracy is concerned, after about 10 rounds or so to get used to it, it was as accurate if not more accuate than the SR9c, at least for me.

Overall, I thought the gun was an excellent buy.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I was reseantaly looking to sell my Gen4 G22 so I could buy a N.i.B. Gen 3 G17[the G22 was my duty gun ,but i'm not going back as a sworn deputy for health reasons ,so I wanted to have all my hicap semi auto's in 9 MM .A guy I know offerd me a .40 S&W Sigima as a stright up trade .I told him he was nuts .He really wanted that Glock ,but I wanted a 9 MM and I surly didn't want a Sigma in any caliber .I just hate them .I'm not saying their bad guns I just hate the grip angle and the triggers in them .I ended up trading my 22 with 5 mags for a N.I.B. gen 3 G17 .Now it only came with 2 mags but mags are cheap and my G22 had had atleast 1,500 rounds through it .It always worked as it was ment to ,but to me we both got what we wanted .
It's J.M.P.O , but if you gave me a Sigma I'd go and trade it towards something else .Nest up I'll be on the lookouut for a gen3/4 G19 I.M.H.O. it's the best of all worlds .Plenty of ammo just the right sise and 100% relibale and plenty accurate enough for it's intended use .
Lou

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Ah, yes--the old Sigma-bashing. Maybe it's because I've shot and instructed on DA revolvers for a long time, but it seems to me that S&W intended to duplicate that experience in a semi auto as closely as possible. I bought a 9mm Sigma about two years ago for grins, and found to my delight that it not only fit my hand very nicely, but I could shoot it well, particularly at speed. It's very quick out of the old kydex and frankly the trigger weight is no issue at all. I've been shooting 1911s for decades; have used BHPs, Glocks, SIGs, and all the rest. The Sigma could be better looking and have a proper rail, but it feels great, is reliable and accurate (and stock). I shoot it better than Glocks (which I loathe) and better than I ever did a SIG. I have to admit that it's better than I expected, but that just helps to make up for some of the guns I joyfully offloaded.

Have only fondled the M&Ps and SDs but I prefer the trigger of the Sigma. It's not a draft horse (1911) or a show pony (BHP) but a nice little Morgan.

The best part is that the adverse commentary on the Sigma's trigger really helps keep the price of nice used ones down.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Dienekes said:
Ah, yes--the old Sigma-bashing. Maybe it's because I've shot and instructed on DA revolvers for a long time, but it seems to me that S&W intended to duplicate that experience in a semi auto as closely as possible. I bought a 9mm Sigma about two years ago for grins, and found to my delight that it not only fit my hand very nicely, but I could shoot it well, particularly at speed. It's very quick out of the old kydex and frankly the trigger weight is no issue at all. I've been shooting 1911s for decades; have used BHPs, Glocks, SIGs, and all the rest. The Sigma could be better looking and have a proper rail, but it feels great, is reliable and accurate (and stock). I shoot it better than Glocks (which I loathe) and better than I ever did a SIG. I have to admit that it's better than I expected, but that just helps to make up for some of the guns I joyfully offloaded.

Have only fondled the M&Ps and SDs but I prefer the trigger of the Sigma. It's not a draft horse (1911) or a show pony (BHP) but a nice little Morgan.

The best part is that the adverse commentary on the Sigma's trigger really helps keep the price of nice used ones down.
Interesting...this is probably the first post I've ever seen where somebody actually likes the trigger on the Sigma series. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great gun for the money, but if you can group well with a Sigma during rapid fire then you're a better man than me. Still, I really love the Sigma series and it was my introduction into plastic guns having owned 2nd generation steel S&W 9mms for years. The first sigma I owned was the 9F (used $200) which had the Glock-type chisel FCG. Considerably easier to group well with than the 40VE (used $189!) and 9VE (new $299 w/4 magazines) I purchased later. I believe I read somewhere that the Sigma 9VE was the highest selling pistol in the USA for a couple of years. That's testimony to a great pistol. My posts are still up on the S&W Forum under the same screen name on the Sigma forums. Never bashed the Sigma there and am not bashing it now. Still one of my all-time favorite semi-autos. The trigger just doesn't compare to the SR9, the M&P, any Glock I've shot or any of the S&W steel guns I bought in the 80's-to me, anyway. No offense intended.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
The SD9 VE is far better than the old Sigma. The trigger pull runs 8# out of the box but lightens and smooths up in a couple of hundred rounds. Accuracy is very good. My best 10 shot offhand groups at 50 ft. will stay on a playing card. They have good 3-Dot sights and the front sight is steel. Nice comfortable grip not like the Glock's where my fingers never mesh with the finger grooves. Excellent reliability as I've had zero hiccups in 800 rounds. The SD9 VE's are the best 9mm you can get for the money. Some 40s have had feeding issues but the 9mms run like a champ.

Best Regards,
ADP3

luvallmyrugerz

Bearcat
Know it's a little more money but for a good DAO trigger you might want to look at the Sig P250. Pull is a long 6# but very smooth pull . I have a 45 FS, 45 compact, 9/40 combo kit and like them all New about $ 400 now I think but I bought 2 of mine used and am very happy with them