not a ruger question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Which model hammerless is it, there's three? Each model has its own serial range starting at #1.

Top break in 38 S&W 2nd model 1887
Top break in 32 S&W 1st model about 1888-89
If it's a side swing Hand Ejector 38 Spl also called the Centennial, about 1963.

If the pearls have the S&W logo medallions in gold, they're factory, if no medallions, not factory.

any ruger

Blackhawk
Hondo 44 , the revolver has the button on top to break it open . I can chamber a 38 sp. , don't worry empty case, so I do not think it is 32 although I have no experience with 32 cal. Also it is a top break.

any ruger

Blackhawk
Hondo you are correct . Any idea of when it was made . Also I read on the S & W forum that the older guns with the pearl grips did not have the logo on them . Do you think it would be worth getting a letter on it ?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah, my 1st post, 1887. Depends on the gun and the pearl stock condition. If the gun is in the mid to high 90% original condition, yes, get the letter. But the preponderance of fancy stocks back then were dealer installed and not factory.

Beginning in 1893, factory produced pearl stocks and ivory stocks, later stag as well, and all had small round recessed gold plated over brass, S&W medallions inlaid, which distinguish them from non-factory stocks until after WW II when medallions were deleted from premium stocks.