Not a Ruger Question but I'll ask it anyway

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GrayBill

Bearcat
Was rethinking my Bug Out Bag and thought of the old .22 AF survival rifle, when i was a kid you could find half a dozen at any gun show and order em from the back of a few mags, i havent seen one for years and when i started looking around a bit i found that Henry makes one now. They are a little too rich for what I want to spend on something to throw in the pack in my truck and hopefully never need. Does anybody know of another packable .22? Right now I'm down to thinking of a small hard case with my super single six, but would prefer a small rifle. Any thoughts?

tinman

Buckeye
Go look at the Chiappa Little Badger. Single shot break action with a hammer. Comes folded almost in half inside a lightweight ...."backpack"......bag. Replacing the pivot pin with one that is removable makes it a lot more stow-able. Not made to be an heirloom just an inexpensive fun little gun. Also, give a look at the Henry US Survival Rifle, AR-7. Very packable, magazine fed, semi auto.....it even floats. 8)

Here is an article which speaks to a few take-downs.
http://www.prepper-resources.com/the-takedown-dilemma-henry-ruger-marlin/

contender

Ruger Guru
I used to own some of the Charter Arms AR-7 take down rifles. Neat guns! I think over the years I had 5 of them total.
I'd look at the 10/22 take down or just start searching the gun shows & ads everywhere to find one of the AR-7's.

toysoldier

Hunter
blume357 said:
I'm sorry, but I don't get it... if I was truly going to 'bug out' I would want more than a single shot 22 packed in it.

The belief that you need a multishot weapon in a survival situation implies that you anticipate a shoot-out with bad guys. While this seems to be a manly thing to do, avoiding confrontation is the smarter thing.

Another consideration is reliability. I believe that just about any single-shot will be more reliable than a repeater. Any weapon with a detachable magazine is subject to magazine damage or loss, which will turn it into an awkward single-shot. Under-barrel tubular magazines are also easily damaged. The Browning .22 auto, with its in-stock magazine, quick takedown, and reliably simple action might be the best choice for those who want more than a single-shot.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I even have an AR-7 stuffed away somewhere. The rifle, such as it is comes apart and stores in the plastic stock.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Another thought is I picked up one of these as sort of an impulse buy this year. You could configure it a lot of ways and it takes down.

I put a 16 1/2" bbl. .22WRM T-C G2 Contender Carbine in my backpack if I think I might need a critter getter and don't want to hassle the concealed carry issue in places where you may go from one jurisdiction to another without knowing it. If I'm worried about firepower, I replace it with a 20" .30-30 barrel.

I realize this post is almost two months old but...since the new Henry is "too rich for your blood' how about a used one? Look here.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=521416111
You won't get one much less expensive, unless it is total junk.

toysoldier

Hunter
Fox Mike said:
I realize this post is almost two months old but...since the new Henry is "too rich for your blood' how about a used one? Look here.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=521416111
You won't get one much less expensive, unless it is total junk.

From the description: "The magazine is not present..."

Please see my previous post about magazines. :mrgreen: