Not a Ruger but I always wanted one

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Picked this up today for $275. Was it worth it? It come with a red dot scope & a sling that I'm gonna post f/s on here. The bluing is wore on the bbl. but other then that it's not in to bad of shape.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Is there a place I can run the serial# to see what year it was produced?
I don't even think the original owner had it apart. It looked like the origanal old grease inside. The bluing on the receiver looks ok so I don't believe it was carried much but it's definitely wore on the bbl.
Found it
http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

It's a 1975 gun

rugnelli

Buckeye
Marlin 39A's are cool.

Not bad, has the stock been redone? Barrel wear does not appear to match the rest of the gun from what the pictures show.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I don't think the stock has been touched but I don't know for sure. And the bbl wear is mostly on the top of the bbl. almost like it was leaning on a bench or a fence most of its life & never wiped down. And their was probably a 1/16" of dust on the forearm end cap when I got it. And I don't thing the owner ever broke the gun apart from the old looking grease on the inside of the receiver.
Also if you notice the gold is worn off of one side of the trigger?

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
39's whatever configuration are a joy to own and shoot. That one looks pretty darned good externally. Although the pistol grip design isn't my favorite, you can't deny the classic good looks. Makes you want to take it out and bust a few bunnies.

eveled

Hunter
The finish on the stock looks just like both of mine, high gloss. Nice find on a nice gun. I have two of it's twins, and I would have bought yours at that price. Probably the least found used gun, that is on my

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

We were right out of high school, summer of 1967, when a buddy bought a Marlin 39(A?). The price that's somehow stuck in my head was about $180. Since I'd bought a Remington Nylon 66 a couple of years earlier for $49.95, whatever he paid seemed like a ton of money.

It's been a long time since I've seen a 39 for sale, of any series, new or used. That one looks to me like close to a steal! Two or three guns are on my "When the lottery commission gets it right" list. One of those Marlins, an old one in the same shape I'd imagine my buddy's would be, if he's still around and still has it, is No. 1.

Rick C

toysoldier

Hunter
The Marlin 39 club:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=261635

There's always several of these for sale on gunbroker, but even beaters start at $250-$300.

rugnelli

Buckeye
No matter how you look at it, you can't beat a Marlin 39A.

Nice rifle and at that price would still be a buy in even much worse condition.

Latest posts