Norma ammo question please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fiasconva

Blackhawk
I recently bought some Norma 9mm 124 gr bulk ammo when it was on sale and shipping was free. I haven't had a chance to shoot any of it yet and was wondering if anyone here has any hands on experience with this ammo? How does it compare to other bulk ammo like WWB and Remington? I have seen no reviews from anyone who has actually shot this brand and was wondering if you members here have.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
I've never used their 9mm, but have used their .380 ball and several other calibers. Norma ammo in general is very good stuff. I especially like their loadings of European centerfire metric ammo (like 7x57 or 6.5x55), as some are loaded down a bit in the US while Norma generally turns out the full-starch loads.

RSIno1

Hunter
I've used Norma rifle ammo. Great brass quality for reloading. The factory Weatherby ammo uses Norma brass (they probably make the whole round for them).

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have bought quite a bit of the recent Norma 9mm and it is top notch ball ammo. I have not used any of their hollow points. Norma was formerly made in Europe I believe but they have built a plant in USA now. Their factory web site offers free shipping with $150 now and it is fast and a great deal for above average ammo.

fiasconva

Blackhawk
I took advantage of that sale and free shipping but haven't had a chance to burn any of it yet. Thanks for the replies. Looks like a trip to the range is in order.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I have bought quite a bit of the recent Norma 9mm and it is top notch ball ammo. I have not used any of their hollow points. Norma was formerly made in Europe I believe but they have built a plant in USA now. Their factory web site offers free shipping with $150 now and it is fast and a great deal for above average ammo.
I just looked into the Norma ammo, only in .357 Mag and not in 9mm, which I do not have. I could not find their website to check out the free shipping, but I found this website that is offering free shipping for this .357 Mag, with apparently no inimum. The site is https://www.opticsplanet.com/norma-...keted-hollow-point-brass-cased-centerfir.html. Go there and look for 9mm if that is your choice. The Norma .357Mag round is the middle of the road for the power ratings of the .357 Mag, and says it fires a 158 GR bullet (standard for .357 Mag) at 1,296 fps, which delivers 589 ft. lbs or ME. In my ballistics file, which lists 94 completely different .357 manufactured rounds, the average ME for the .357 Mag is 614 ft. lbs., and the max is 907 ft. lbs (PPU/PRIV).

louiethelump

Buckeye
Ok. I don't buy 357 ammo so cannot comment on it ballistics wise. I load my own revolver loads and do so with moderate loads and not screamers.

I buy 9mm because I quit loading it when it got so cheap the brass was not worth picking up and you could buy it for the same price as 22 magnum. I gave away all my 9mm brass (thousands of rounds of once fired brass I picked up because the police department I worked for was just letting it lay or throwing it in the trash) and now am regretting that decision. So I buy 9mm ball ammo at best price I can find.

Norma has an email system that I signed up for where (right now) they are offering free shipping on a $50 order and selling 9mm ball ammo at $17.99 with free shipping.

Their shipping is fast, but they may not be the best place to buy 357 magnum. I saw no bargains on 357 magnum, and so am not surprised you are disappointed.

Sorry.

G2

Hunter
I have acquired quite a bit. It's performance has been excellent, especially for the price & free ship.
Almost every shipping box has RAUG on the outside, very heavy duty box's too.
This has me thinking RAUG is the manufacturer,
and NORMA is the marketing.
Does RAUG have manufacturing in the USA??? IDK

Noticed today…Free ship on $49 orders.

Last edited:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Thank you Louie, but their home page has mo .357 Mag or .38 Spec ammo showing. But I used FuzzyEdge's link and found the .38 special offering. I did not order it yet, and I am wondering if there is shipping also, which would be normal.

fiasconva

Blackhawk
You can also use ammoshoponline.com That's where I bought mine from. I think the 9mm 124 gr came out to about $15.50 or so per box with free shipping. I ordered it on the 8th of Feb, it was shipped on the 9th, I and received it on the 11th. That ain't bad.

Last edited:

louiethelump

Buckeye
In the ad I got yesterday or day before, they have a "free shipping of ammo purchase of $49 or more" which does not take much these days. I bought previously with "free shipping for order $150 or more". I do not consider the 38 or 357 ammo a bargain and have not bought any. I bought 9mm as the price for that was good in my perspective. My overall point was that they shipped quickly and free with low minimum and the ammo was good. Good luck to all. First time buyers get an additional 5% off.

Latest posts