Non Ruger Shotgun Front Bead Site Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hawkeye

Bearcat
I have a brand X shotgun with a typical bead type front site. I was shooting the other day and noticed that there was a little indentation inside the barrel where the bead site was soldered to the barrel. You can definately see the front site shaft when looking in the barrel. I'm thinking some of the solder broke off. It's not obstructing the barrel but I'm pretty sure it's not normal. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Can you post a picture? Most are attached to the Vent rib and I bet you are actually talking about the post on the Vent rib and not the bead as they are usually soldered and don't go to the barrel metal.

Also, does your gun take choke tubes? If so this is not an issue as the choke tube contains everything. Shotguns operate at less than 12,000 PSI, 1/5 of most rifles and 1/3 of most handgun rounds, so I'd not be too concerned unless it was an obvious obstruction.

hawkeye

Bearcat
I'll try to post a picture when I get a hold of my daughter's camera. It's a cylinder bore barrel with no choke tubes or ventilated rib. The front bead site looks like it's silver soldered directly to the barrel. It's probably a non-issue but I have not noticed this on the barrel since it was new. It is certainly not blocking the barrel but it's there and it wasn't before. I am more concerned on how do ya fix this.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I had an older Stevens single shot at one time like that. The bead was screwed into the barrel and you could see it on the inside. It was a good gun and the bead never seemed to hurt the function or cause any problem.

hawkeye

Bearcat
Thanks Redlabel....That's exactly what I am seeing on my cheap brand X shotgun ( NEF). All my previous shotguns had different front bead mounting and never had the bead stud actually screwed into the barrel where I could see it on the inside of the barrel. There seems to be a very slight indentation on the inside of the barrel where the bead is screwed into the barrel. At this point I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks again for the second opinion. :D

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Don't worry about it. I just went and checked another one of my guns which happens to be a Winchester M42. I consider the older Winchesters some of the finest shotguns ever made and guess what, I can see the bead post inside the barrel of this one too. Never noticed it before :oops: