Non-Lethal Security Weapon

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What do you think of this non-lethal weapon? I have never seen it before. They say it works up to 60 feet. :shock:

Byrna HD Personal Security Device 17 minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7Qe-prCQI

It will get you killed! I wish they had told you what round they were using. You were left to assume. I think it is a great tool for law enforcement in their escalation of force continuum. Replace the Tazer? You pull a gun look alike, and someone will shoot you! The C02 cartridge is a non standard size, it may or may not take .68 paintballs. It could be useful to a farmer marking livestock?
gramps

I agree that it very well could get you in serious trouble, particularly if you bought the black one.

If I absolutely had to have one I believe I'd get the orange one . . . or the yellow one. JMHO

Johnnu2

Buckeye
My vote would go to a really good pair of running shoes over that 'weapon'...

J.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think it is a paint ball gun with OC and pepper balls as well as solids. I wonder how long the CO2 cylinders last once loaded in the gun. I guess it is designed for CCW but I definitely would not want to use those pepper balls indoors. :evil:

Mus408

Hunter
So being so easy to purchase there will be a problem when the thugs get them to use for robbery attempts. You walking along and some kid hits you with a pepper/gas round and grabs your wallet and runs while you are in a coughing gagging fit and can't see. Guess it works both ways.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
So being so easy to purchase there will be a problem when the thugs get them to use for robbery attempts. You walking along and some kid hits you with a pepper/gas round and grabs your wallet and runs while you are in a coughing gagging fit and can't see. Guess it works both ways.
Oh dang, you are so right. We will have to get dressed up in chemical warfare gear to go to the store. :shock:

wolfsong

Staff member
Fox Mike said:
Pepper spray and CS doesn't check the wind. It is an equal opportunity tear bringer. I believe I would rather have a 'target specific' device like perhaps a 1911.

There are products out there that are more "solid liquid" rather than aerosol spray. They tend to stick on the intended target instead of blowin' in the wind...

kmoore

Buckeye
Any Non lethal tool or weapon that is designed to look to anyone as a real deadly weapon (or handgun in this case) is going to be a problem for the users and the possible victims. Lets say, I accidently pissed another driver off and they raised that and pointed it at me for any reason I would shoot them. A kid pointed that at me, I would shoot them. Because in that mere millie second it looks like a real gun and if someone points a real gun at me, I want to shoot 1st.

wolfsong said:
There are products out there that are more "solid liquid" rather than aerosol spray. They tend to stick on the intended target instead of blowin' in the wind...
True, but we are speaking of the OP's title weapon. Close, was good enough for that thing. If one has never encountered CS or pepper spray they have no idea what they have missed.

wolfsong

Staff member
Fox Mike said:
wolfsong said:
True, but we are speaking of the OP's title weapon. Close, was good enough for that thing. If one has never encountered CS or pepper spray they have no idea what they have missed.
In that case, ignorance IS truly bliss! :D

GhosT

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag.

Unlike the the other posters......
Looking at it a different way.

I do have 2 Ruger semi-auto pistols,well hidden, in my house....fast access.

That said..watched yer video link.....interesting , seen countless paintball/pepper spray guns before.
This design seems better.

But here is the thing.

Of course between alarm and/or hear some one break in, within 2 seconds my laser sited Ruger .40SW ends up in my hand.

''Of course keeping my .40sw in my dominate hand...''
In the other hand....?

Because of the design of my house.....
Firing those 5 rounds of ''pepper balls'' far enough ,and a door that can close...
Should make him leave.

2 Thoughts...

(1) Pepper spray....

Back in the ''90's'' was Xmas shopping in a SEARS store.
3 isles away ...2 police officers trying to handcuff a thief, he fought back.
Pepper sprayed him,easily cuffed.

Less than 30 seconds later 30 feet away,......coughing(hard to breathe) ,tears, couldn't breathe.
Almost dropped to my knees,............................didn't last long cause was not the guy sprayed.

Pepper spray is effective...
''Tested it'' a few times ,in spray form over a few decades.
Screws an attacker up.......but,can screw you too,with a gentle wind.

(2)
(PEPPER BALLS)

Jimbo357mag , referring to the ''gun'' you linked.

Glad ya posted it.

Far from what I would suggest to gun haters to carry if on the street,or anybody...LOOKS LIKE A GUN!

That said...
I may be repeating points,
But watched the video 3 times, and hitting the perp. unnecessary ,hit close.

Unlike the pepper sprays Used for decades ,
These next/gen ''balls' seem to explode with a smaller/finer mist....extremely effective,smaller exploding range.------------That's a good thing.

Jimbo357mag,
Think I might check this out.
Another option to not kill some dumb ass breaking into my house,killing me for a few bucks.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I may live in a somewhat primitive spot but if I need to deploy a weapon, I'm not going to go the 'non-lethal' route.
If I lived in a spot that forbid the use of a 'lethal weapon', I'd move post-haste.
If I were a bad guy, I'd be all for the use of 'non-lethal' weapons. Being uncomfortable for a couple hours is nothing compared to being dead forever.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This might be a good weapon for a security/mall guard that is not allowed to carry a gun. I think it could stop a fight or those gang shoplifters.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
Close, was good enough for that thing. If one has never encountered CS or pepper spray they have no idea what they have missed.

Hi,

Years ago a local PD used our range for some things they didn't have at theirs. Since it was a bit of a hike from their station to our range, they'd bring along other training devices so they could make a day of it. One of them was pepper spray/Mace and every "newbie" who didn't have a check mark on the box that said he/she had been sprayed got the "initiation."

Nobody seemed to like it. And as for dispersion, it was probably 150 ft or so from my window in the clubhouse to where they shot the stuff. With a bit of a breeze, we'd get just enough at that distance to realize "there's something in the air." It wasn't unpleasant at that distance, but noticeable.

Rick C

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I think a good, old fashioned blackjack was the coolest non firearm weapon ever. I have an antique blackjack that I found in a house that I purchased. The leather is mostly rotted away, but it's still a really cool artifact.

Goldstar225

Single-Sixer
It's a no for me. I've used OC 75-80 times on people over the years in the foam format. I've also been on the receiving end a few times during a fight (courtesy of fellow officers missing their target while I was in contact with the subject). I my experience OC is 80% effective in that the subject stops being aggressive or their ability to fight effectively is diminished. The other 20% were goal oriented and had to be subdued the old fashioned way. In my exposures I was able to stay in the fight until it was resolved. The aftermath sucked however.

The size of the device is the biggest drawback IMO. I believe in having an intermediate weapon available. Now retired I keep a can of OC handy in addition to my sidearm but I wouldn't carry the Byrna.

Latest posts