no1 1a or a 1s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redwolf

Bearcat
i have a no.1 7mm mag and with a henry syle forearm, was wondering if it is a 1a or a 1 s what is the difference, also i have a 30/06 with the same forearm,

pete44ru

Hunter
Welcome to the Ruger Forum, redwolf !

AFAIK, there were never any 7mm Mag #1-A's

If the 7mm Mag has open sights, it should be a #1-S.

If the .30-06 has the same setup (sights/AH forend), it's a #1-A; if it has the AH forend/no sights, it could be an #1-AB.

All of the above doesn't take into account somebody making furniture switches, to satisfy their druthers.

Magnums #1-S' have somewhat heavier/longer barrels than the non-magnum #1-A's.

Other than that (chambering/bbl config) there's no difference - except that Ruger designated the so-configured .45-70 #1 first as #1-H's, then/now as #1-S's, with a "tweener" bbl length of 22".

redwolf

Bearcat
thanks for the help niether gun has sights they have ruger rings. thanks againg

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Redwolf, if you have two rifles with Alex Henry forearms and no sights they are rare rifles, and most likely non-prefix serial numbers. They would have been made before Ruger started giving them model designations. I would call Ruger records with the serial numbers to confirm the configuration that they left the fatory in. Otherwise, someone may have switched the wood from beavertail forend to AH forend.

A 1S would have a 26" barrel and sights with AH forend.

A 1A would be the same except 22" barrel.

A 1B would have beavertail forend, no sights and 26" barrel

A 1AB would have beavertail foren, no sights, and 22" barrel.

I would love to know the serial numbers and see pictures of the rifles.

picketpin

Buckeye
For what it's worth there are some "A" 7mm Mags. There were in the first 3 years of the #1, 1967 through 1969.

The "A" as mentioned is the Light Sporter, with a 22" barrel, adjustable sights and the Alex Hnery Forearm. There are probably well less than 50 in this configuration.

The are also about the same number of non prefix #1s in 7mm Mag in "AH" or the Light Sporter, without sights and the Alex Henry Forearm.

There are also "AB" non prefix 7mm Mags. the same light 22" barrel with no sights and the Semi Beavertail Forearm.

The "S" is essentually the same rifle but with the 26" medium weight barrel. The "S" has the same barrel length, weight and contour as the Standard Sporter but the Medium Sporter has the Alex Henry Foreend along with the sights and the barrel band for the fromt sling swivel.

To the best of my knowledge there are no "S" rifles in 30-06. Even in the non prefix rifles I have never seen one.

Simply measuring the length of the barrel should tell you what you need to know. That and the existance or adsence of factory sights will determine the rifles configuratiom.

If there is any question a call to Rugers Records department wwith the serial number will give you the shipped configuration.

Some of us, Okay, Splitz and I at least consider the "S" the most classic of the #1s. A "A" in 30-06 and and an "S" in 7mm Mag would be a nice "set" of rifles. ;-)

Now an "S" in 7mag and a 243 "A" that wuld cover nearly everything. :)

the best

Ross

redwolf

Bearcat
i said they have not iron sights and i checked to be sure and they have iron sights. the mag has a 26 in barrel and the o6 has the 22 in barrel. thanks for all the help..

picketpin

Buckeye
I missed the part about no sights.

That makes it more interesting, maybe.

What are the serial numbers? If they are non preficx serial numbered rifles one through 4 digits with no prefix then they could in fact be factory rifles from the 1967 - 1969 time period.

If they are rifles with a prefix 130-xxxx, 131-xxxx or 132-XXXX and so on then it's likely they were changed from factory configuration by a later owner.

Neither the 30-06 in the "AH" light barrel, 22" long with no sights and the Alex Henry forearm and the barrel band sling swivel nor the 7mm Mag in the "SH" 26" barrel, without sights and the Alex Henry forearm and the barrel band sling swivel were ever cataloged items or even made in short uncalatloged runs, that I'm aware of after the non prefix period.

I have swapped the forearm wood and added the barrel band on a bunch of #1s in hunting calibers over the years. I have problems with my left hand/wrist and can't grasp the semi beavertail forearm so the thinner Alex Henry works much better for me.

The answer to your first question is, neither rifle is an "A" or an "S" as those rifles have sights. There are some, a very few in the calibers and configurations you mention but the only factory ones would be non prefix rifles before everything was standardized.

If you post the serial numbers and/or pictures we can get a better idea. It's about things like barrel markings, checkering patternsm recoil pads etc, whether the serial number appears on the bottom of the block and the configuration is engraved on the forearm hanger etc..........................

You might want to call Ruger records and see what they have to say. If either rifle is factory and original and would letter as such, it would certainly be rare/uncommon.

Ross

picketpin

Buckeye
Jimmy: Well it would be a great pair for hunting!!! Predicated on narrowing the choice down to two #1s, God forbid. ;-O

I could, honest I could. Okay maybe with a gun to my head.

RWT

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Ross,

I have had No.1-S in 30-06 (200th Year) and 270 (Warning). These two were on my display at the NRA (and RCA) Show in Denver I think it was 1989. I know where there are No.1-S in 6 m/m and 7x57. All of these are very rare.

There were some 200th Year rifles that appear to be No.1-S in some standard No.1-B calibers but they will not letter as No.1-S. A distributor or large buyer had No.1-B's that were not selling so he (being "in" at the factory) sent them back for sights, barrel bands and 1-S wood. I think there were less than 200 of these.

We need Lee Newton to jump in here with the whole story.

redwolf

Bearcat
thanks again for the help everyone, these rifles shoot well and i am glac to be an owner of them along with my other 2 , thanks again and have a great day

mcknight77

Blackhawk
HAWKEYE#28":z45ophc8 said:
Comparitively, there is not much more that a Man could want, than a Number One S model, 26", AH forend, in 300 H&H.........Right, Jim? 8)

Just a passle of flatbolts, hollowbolts, a few colt pistols and revolvers, some non-prefix No.1s, a couple of Red Labels, some Redhawks, a few Savage 99s, and a few .22s! Other than those, that .300H&H fills the bill.

Unlike Ross, I'm not in denial. I do want them all. The only thing holding me back is safe space and money!

Now if I could just find a pair of non-prefix 1ABs in .308 and .222.

picketpin

Buckeye
Jimmy, Jimmy , Jimmy....................... You have to make sure that Splitz doesn't have is stashed in the vault BEFORE you expres a need/desire for something. ;-)

Luckily no non prefix "B" with sights or a non prefix "S" with out sights and scope blocks. :)

Ross

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
picketpin":1243rfhs said:
I could, honest I could. Okay maybe with a gun to my head.

RWT

Sorry Ross, I don't believe it either. Not sure that I am as bad as the rest of ya, but I am trying.

BTW if the gun was to my head it would be a 6mm AH and 375 1H.

Dave