No SR-556 Ruger Tilt Issue So Far

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cluelesspa

Bearcat
OK here are the pictures after cleaning the SR-556 last night. I really need to get a lint free rag when cleaning (that'll learn me for trusting the package from Wal-Mart for Lint Free Car rags) :roll:

anyway this is after about 200 rounds thru it (of course that includes the test round fired by the factory, then I cleaned the gun with Weaponshield and lubed the CBG entire Carrier (inside and out with gun CLP (Weapon Shield) and as suggested by others I pushed in the buffer and lubed the 1st inch or so and a few drops on the Buffer Stop Pin.

relubed the back of the CBG again and reassembled. fired about 200 rounds since then and cleaned gun and here is the result still no minor wear showing at all :D

Area where the buffer tilt issue:
798b4d5c.jpg

Area where the buffer tilt issue:
eeadb314.jpg

inside the Buffer area (note nothing even minor wear showing)
f2c58f2c.jpg

Don't believe me (close up pictures):
0bcd060e.jpg

and here is the BFG

690e13f8.jpg

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Take the buffer and spring out and let us see.

Looks like your tube has been refined some with a "ramped" entry. Get us some more pics with the buffer and spring removed, please.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
will be a while and not really keen on taking the buffer and spring out... just don't want to break it down more then I have to if aint broke .

can you post a picture of your buffer area up close. not sure what you mean but a "ramped entry". I can look at your picture on here and let you know if it is the same. thanks!

Sig685

Single-Sixer
No need. I don't see any evidence of a ramped entry into the buffer area in the poor, overexposed pictures above. I did notice a different rear end to the carrier however, but it may be the same carrier for all SR-556.

Clueless, thanks for the report and keep on shooting; I think you have a fine rifle.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
sorry about the pic quality . best I could do with my $100 point and shoot panasonic... :roll:

took about 10 shots and deleted it down to those posted... just to give people an idea... before I bought a SR-556 I was woried looking at pics of the wear right from the factory. but either I am lucky or lubing the area and the BFG seems to make a difference.

also shooting setting #2 with Brass .223 ammo ... No wolf thru it ...

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Sig685":16dpaqfm said:
No need. I don't see any evidence of a ramped entry into the buffer area in the poor, overexposed pictures above. I did notice a different rear end to the carrier however, but it may be the same carrier for all SR-556.

Clueless, thanks for the report and keep on shooting; I think you have a fine rifle.

Look at his 3rd pic, below his finger and right behind the plunger.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
cluelesspa":1ydj4xko said:
will be a while and not really keen on taking the buffer and spring out... just don't want to break it down more then I have to if aint broke .

It comes out in seconds, cock the hammer and safety on, depress plunger while holding buffer with finger, walk buffer and spring out. Or just use a pencil and compress buffer and spring about 2 inches and take another pic, please.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
deadduck357":tncjc97t said:
Sig685":tncjc97t said:

Look at his 3rd pic, below his finger and right behind the plunger.

I don't know. The pictures are truly awful, it's like Clueless is clueless about using a flash, everything is washed out. Maybe, maybe not, tough to say.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
1st off... Why dont YOU guys take a picture of what YOU have and I will compare to what I have and let you know. I have taken pictures and spent time to upload and post... Ball in Your court!

2nd as I said a standard digital 5 MP camera with flash there is NO way to turn down the flash intensity. I tried covering the flash with a thin cloth to lower the light intensity but it was TOO much then. In order to get a nice clear in focus picture you have to go to MACRO mode on the camera (ya know the little flower picture on the rotating settings). its like this on my Panasonic and Canon digital cameras. Well when you goto macro mode to get a close shot (guess what) the FLASH is a LOT closer and gets way too HOT for the picture. :evil:

you want to change the exposure - Right Click and download my picture, pull it into PHOTOSHOP and adjust the levels your self. or are you Clueless as well :wink:

All the photos I have seen on the websites from other owners .... the pictures of this area are either not very close up like shown here or blurry ...

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Well, I'm traveling this week (so what else is new?) and I won't be able to check things out until this weekend. At any rate, just cover the stupid flash with electrical tape if you have to.

trex1310

Bearcat
Thanks for the report and for the pictures. They are just fine. If someone
doesn't like your pics they damn well can take their own that is if they
actually own a SR556 to take pictures of.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
cluelesspa":2isqbt9p said:
1st off... Why dont YOU guys take a picture of what YOU have and I will compare to what I have and let you know. I have taken pictures and spent time to upload and post... Ball in Your court!

Your pics are good, I have no prob with them at all. I know what my tube looks like I just need to see another shot of your tube without your finger in the way. Use a pencil to compress the buffer about 2 inches and take another pic, please. Looks like from your 3rd pic they may have refined the entry some, if so I would like to get the newer tube, if there is such changes.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
deadduck357":6msv9ohb said:
cluelesspa":6msv9ohb said:

Your pics are good, I have no prob with them at all. I know what my tube looks like I just need to see another shot of your tube without your finger in the way. Use a pencil to compress the buffer about 2 inches and take another pic, please. Looks like from your 3rd pic they may have refined the entry some, if so I would like to get the newer tube, if there is such changes.

well to requote myself "Why dont YOU guys take a picture of what YOU have and I will compare to what I have and let you know." 8) I already posted pics of both my BFG and my Buffer area ... its your turn :wink:

but I did look again tonight and it is not ramped but if you take a picture of your buffer area and post I will confirm ...

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Sig685":3b5b3sdu said:
Well, I'm traveling this week (so what else is new?) and I won't be able to check things out until this weekend. At any rate, just cover the stupid flash with electrical tape if you have to.

I would guess you read your copy of "How to win Friends and Influence People" during those boring nights in motel rooms. :wink:

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
cluelesspa":uni5nf87 said:
deadduck357":uni5nf87 said:
cluelesspa":uni5nf87 said:

well to requote myself "Why dont YOU guys take a picture of what YOU have and I will compare to what I have and let you know." 8) I already posted pics of both my BFG and my Buffer area ... its your turn :wink:

but I did look again tonight and it is not ramped but if you take a picture of your buffer area and post I will confirm ...

Its like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
cluelesspa":2fsh2oai said:

Big eFfing Gun?? :p

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Deadducks357, I think you are correct about the ramping effect. I've played with the 3rd pictures with the old tool that I have on my notebook and I have to agree with you. There is definitely something going on behind the plunger in the buffer tube and the op's steadfast refusal to take and post a better close-up with the buffer removed or pushed back further is suspect.

I sure hope this is not the case, I really wish all success to Ruger with their AR and I hope there is no problem and no recall. The buffer and buffer spring are very easy pieces to take out and put back in. As an incentive, the op may want to consider using some grease on the buffer spring to eliminate the "sproing" sound when he shoots.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Sig685 said:
Deadducks357, I think you are correct about the ramping effect. I've played with the 3rd pictures with the old tool that I have on my notebook and I have to agree with you. There is definitely something going on behind the plunger in the buffer tube and the op's steadfast refusal to take and post a better close-up with the buffer removed or pushed back further is suspect.
quote]

It could be a shadow from his finger, but will not know unless he post another pic.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Only if his finger was in his nose. I seriously doubt we will see any more pictures.

9x19

Hunter
Sig685":28cjtc36 said:
Only if his finger was in his nose. I seriously doubt we will see any more pictures.

Well... given such friendly, helpful attitudes...

:roll: