No question about it, this forum is for old guys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seems a bunch of us geezers are/were riders.

Here's a dumb story, but true.

Back in '69, motorcycle endorsements were a relatively new thing. I needed to get one if there was any chance I could talk my Mom into letting me buy a motorcycle. My cousins had a motorcycle. I think it was a Honda 65 or 90. They lived in a small enough town, the motor vehicles tester was there, once a week, at City Hall. I took the paperwork in, the tester came out, inspected the motorcycle, then said, "ride it around the block. When you're done, come in and tell me."

Next dumb story...
I was 16, I wanted a motorcycle, but Mom said no. I badgered her long enough, she finally went to look at a Honda Mini Trail 50 with me. While we were looking, Mom spotted a Yamaha Trailmaster 80, which was full size and street legal. Mom said, gee, for the same price, wouldn't this be a better deal? And of course I said "good idea, Mom!" The rest is history. :love:

Last edited:
I will be 80 March 2 and still play with these and other stuff. Just don't let the old man in:)
1670197919699.png

1670197938007.png

1670197956949.png

1670197982717.png

1670198075515.png

1670198189721.png

brutus

Bearcat
I'm a '54 vintage. Had a motorcycle for the past 40 years. Wife developed knee trouble so riding for her kept her in pain for days. A coworker stopped in for a visit and he was always commenting about how much he liked my BMW, so I asked if he wanted to buy it. He asked how much and I said 5. He replied I'm still paying off collage loans but I would love to own it. I said I'm sure you could spare $5.00. And I sold him the bike for $5.00. We had logged about 90,000 miles between the last 3 Beemers and it was time to move on.

Mike J

Hunter
You guys make me feel like a kid. I'm only in my late 50's.

I rode hard for about 10 years. Owned 5 motorcycles at the same time didn’t own a car. Japanese race bikes, vintage British, vintage European. Each style of bike had its own clothing its own set of friends its own events. I enjoyed riding when only a fool would heat cold rain snow etc.

Slowly I didn’t enjoy the miserable weather anymore. After a while the weather had to be perfect or I didn’t enjoy myself.

Then one night I went for a ride the fuel line blew on my Harley covered me in gas on the highway. A couple of other things happened on that ride to tell me I should count my blessings and stop riding all together.

I don’t miss it. I miss my friends, but most of them were older than me and are dead anyway.

My mother always tried to keep me from riding a motorcycle. She & my father had crashed on a Harley in the 50's. They got beat up pretty badly but were okay eventually. My mom died at the age of 53 (she had bone cancer) when I was 26. I was young & single. I needed something to keep me from thinking too much. I wound up riding a '85 Honda Nighthawk 650 for a while getting the feel of things. Then I stepped up to an old Yamaha XS-11. It had a full fairing with AM/FM & cassette, hard shell bags & trunk. I really enjoyed that bike. For about a year after Mom died if I wasn't at work or a meeting I was out riding that bike somewhere. After a few years it seemed like every time I took the bike out I was dodging cars. Started to feel like everyone on the road was out to get me. It became less fun. Then I let my buddy borrow it for a week or two while he fixed his car (he had blown a head gasket). He rode it to the store to get a loaf of bread. On the way home he stopped for a red light & while he was sitting there waiting on the light to change an old man ran over him & my motorcycle. He was okay after a couple of weeks. The insurance totalled my bike & paid me more than I had in it. I haven't rode since. Sometimes I still miss it.

Ride1949

Buckeye
Decided after the 2020 election to redirect money from my 401K to other things. Figured a motorcycle might be a good investment after the shutdown of Keystone. Brother-in-law recommended a Suzuki SV650, so that’s what I got in May. After a couple of mishaps in the first 3 miles (most everything but the radiator bent back to original spec with some elbow grease, I survived with some sprains, bruises, and minor rash), decided to take the Motorcycle Safety class before riding again. Passed and got my endorsement in October. Up to 16 miles now, getting better every trip (still practicing in parking lots, mostly). Will probably ride it to work once or twice a week when weather permits (about 6 miles). Hope to ride at least until I retire around age 70.

Welcome to the brotherhood. Keep the shiny side up. Next year will be my 60th year on two wheels. Been down hard twice. (First time I had an old gent run a stop sign in front of me. Second time some fool, reading a newspaper on the seat while he was driving, ran over me from behind at a stop light.) Just remember " Ride like they're all out to kill you" Keep your head on a swivel. See ya on the road.

Last edited:

eveled

Hunter
My mother always tried to keep me from riding a motorcycle. She & my father had crashed on a Harley in the 50's. They got beat up pretty badly but were okay eventually. My mom died at the age of 53 (she had bone cancer) when I was 26. I was young & single. I needed something to keep me from thinking too much. I wound up riding a '85 Honda Nighthawk 650 for a while getting the feel of things. Then I stepped up to an old Yamaha XS-11. It had a full fairing with AM/FM & cassette, hard shell bags & trunk. I really enjoyed that bike. For about a year after Mom died if I wasn't at work or a meeting I was out riding that bike somewhere. After a few years it seemed like every time I took the bike out I was dodging cars. Started to feel like everyone on the road was out to get me. It became less fun. Then I let my buddy borrow it for a week or two while he fixed his car (he had blown a head gasket). He rode it to the store to get a loaf of bread. On the way home he stopped for a red light & while he was sitting there waiting on the light to change an old man ran over him & my motorcycle. He was okay after a couple of weeks. The insurance totalled my bike & paid me more than I had in it. I haven't rode since. Sometimes I still miss it.
Thanks for sharing. I’m one of the lucky ones I didn’t get hurt, I outgrew it, knew when to stop and do not miss it.

whittsailor

Single-Sixer
I’m 62 and still play with cars.
It’s good to be retired, drawing two pensions and just puttering around doing whatever the heck I want. I exercise, try to stay in shape, so that I can enjoy this new stage in life for as long as I can.

Latest posts