No new truck for me. (Sad)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
My experience with these so called "losses" oftentimes boils down to this.

A company projects next years widget sales of 650,000 units up from 575,000. They sell 600,000 units, up 50,000 from the year before. They missed their forecast of 650,000 so they call that a loss of let's say $500 million.

I seriously doubt Ford lost $1.7B. Maybe, but companies have been known to get creative with numbers. It doesn't mean they're not going to raise prices.
A six-week United Auto Workers strike at Ford cut sales by about 100,000 vehicles for the year and cost the company $1.7 billion in lost profits, the automaker said Nov. 30.

Additional labor costs from the four-year and eight-month labor agreement that was ultimately reached will total $8.8 billion by the end of the contract, translating to about $900 per vehicle by 2028, Chief Financial Officer John Lawler said in a company release. Ford will work to offset that cost through higher productivity and reduced expenses, Lawler said.

The 1.7 billion spread out over next years projected sales would be about $400 per car. Added labor costs about $200. $600 is too big a hit so they'll probably spread the 1.7b loss over 4 years so next years car will only go up $300. At the end of year 4 and in the future that $100 hit will stay and Ford will make more $ than before the strike.

Johnnu2

Hunter
A six-week United Auto Workers strike at Ford cut sales by about 100,000 vehicles for the year and cost the company $1.7 billion in lost profits, the automaker said Nov. 30.

Additional labor costs from the four-year and eight-month labor agreement that was ultimately reached will total $8.8 billion by the end of the contract, translating to about $900 per vehicle by 2028, Chief Financial Officer John Lawler said in a company release. Ford will work to offset that cost through higher productivity and reduced expenses, Lawler said.

The 1.7 billion spread out over next years projected sales would be about $400 per car. Added labor costs about $200. $600 is too big a hit so they'll probably spread the 1.7b loss over 4 years so next years car will only go up $300. At the end of year 4 and in the future that $100 hit will stay and Ford will make more $ than before the strike.
And so the cycle begins once again. Workers make more $$$; prices on goods and services go up more; workers need more money. Funny how that has worked over the centuries....

J.

RSIno1

Hunter
And so the cycle begins once again. Workers make more $$$; prices on goods and services go up more; workers need more money. Funny how that has worked over the centuries....

J.
It got out of hand after WWII when more women stayed in the workforce. Since people had more "disposable" income the prices went up. Soon it took 2 paychecks to realize the American Dream. They need to keep the middle class trapped in that category - of course credit card debt has been doing that since the first Diners Club credit card was issued in 1950.

Last edited:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
With the (lack of) reliability of new vehicles and the inability to work on them myself, despite being a mechanic by trade, I am unlikely to buy anything newer than mid-2000s. A new vehicle would lock me into nearly perpetual payments, as I would almost be forced to buy a new vehicle when the warranty expired on the current one. One could get a low-mileage 2001/2002 Dodge 2500 with the indestructible 24V Cummins for around $20,000, and expect it to go at least 500K miles with routine maintenance. Of course it doesn't have the sci-fi dash and PTO turnip twaddlers like the new stuff, but there also aren't 300+ interdependent Chinese sensors to go bad...

Last edited:
I bought a Chevy Colorado Work Truck in May of 2020 and I am glad that I did. I just turned 90K on it and I will run it until it dies. It's the 2wd version with a 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. I was going to hold off on getting a new truck but the Watertendermobile at the time had something happen to it and my wife told me to go get a truck. Did I mention that my wife is a wonderful woman? So anyway back to the truck idea... If I had known that this would be as good a truck as it is I would have tried to find another one and put it away for the future. My dad had a 1968 Ford F250 that he felt that same way about. Dad ran it for 12 years on pipeline jobs all over the country. It went through 2 engines and we never changed the clutch. When we changed the engine it took us 3 hours from lifting the hood to buttoning up the job. Dad was a phenomenal mechanic that could work in any conditions on construction sites and I learned a lot about how to do things from him. However with the truck I have now I get it worked on instead of fixing it myself. I have enough to fix taking care of the stationary machinery that I work on now.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Bought a 2023 Ford Maverick this Fall. 2wd 2.0 Liter Eco Boost, NOT a hybrid.
Just under $ 35 K with Florida taxes and new vehicle registration.
Fun, surprisingly quick, comfortable and loaded with electronic junk that I am enjoying, mostly, and still figuring out.
Not a REAL truck but at my age, close enough to probably get in trouble with.

I bought a new 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 4WD with the 5.7 engine for $ 27 K ? Drove it for 12 trouble free years.
It was kind of thirsty but had great power. I still miss that one. It was a beast. I was told it had eight ? computers in it ?
I haven't bothered to price a new one.

Can't believe how many of these expensive trucks I see folks driving in my area. Don't know how they afford them but also heard the repossession rate is rising. No surprise as the payments are often $700 per month! Good luck with that crap.

I have a friend whose brother owns a car dealership. He told me that it is now very common for new car buyers (let alone a higher priced truck) drive out of the showroom with a new vehicle and a $1,000 a month car payment for the next six years.

But as to reliability, the new ones are much, much more reliable than what Detroit or others manufactured in the past. I had a 1976 Suburban that I bought new that lasted me until 1990 and had 160,000 miles. I had more than one mechanic tell me that they were amazed that a Chevy Suburban could last that long (there was a ton of rust in the body by then). My 1996 Suburban lasted about the same amount of time. Now I own a few cars and one is a 13 year old Subaru Outback with 175,000 miles that runs and looks as good today as it did when brand new. And pretty much the same for my 2016 Dodge Durango with 162,000 miles in the seven years that I have owned it, which has had exactly one significant mechanical repair in those seven years (needed a front differential replaced, cost me $1,300). Today's vehicles are so much more reliable than the old stuff.

Couple years ago I bought a 2010 Mazda B-4000 pickup, 4x4, 4.0 V6, 5-speed. Nice little truck and it's really a Ford Ranger in disguise. :LOL:

Truck has about 46K miles on it and runs great. Paid about $12K for it. I'm gonna keep it as long as I can.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I would love to have something the size of an old Chevy LUV. The Colorado and Ranger are still too big for most city folks anyway.
I believe Nissan is about to phase their truck line out this year.

I had a 1986 Mazda B2000 and a 1993 Mazda B2600i. Both were bought new and run until they stopped. The B2000 had 238K on it when I got rid of it and the B2600i had 278K when the transmission went. I never had engine or clutch problems with either one of them.

Speaking of vehicle payments, I hired a guy in 2010 who was a self proclaimed "Mopar Man".. He had a Challenger and a 4 door 4wd truck. Both had Hemi on the hoods and he had them on 84 month loans with a payment of $1400 a month to pay for both vehicles. The guy had padlocks on the cupboards and refrigerator at home to keep his kids out of them and used to complain about buying a $5 Little Caesars pizza for the family. I guess some people have different priorities...

MaxMan

Single-Sixer
Can't believe how many of these expensive trucks I see folks driving in my area. Don't know how they afford them but also heard the repossession rate is rising. No surprise as the payments are often $700 per month! Good luck with that crap.
I see a lot of trucks that never get used as one and a lot of 4x4s that have never even been on a dirt road.

jules

Single-Sixer
Up till I retired in 2021 I drove a company truck for almost 35 years. I think I went through seven F250. I used them as if they were my own for work or personal use. They all had a utility bed and ladder racks but hey....they were free. I knew some day I would have to get my own so while I was still working I started looking around in early 2021. After visiting a few dealerships I couldn't find what I was looking for. Prices on used lots was really up there. 3 days before I turned in my company truck I finally found this 2014 F150 with 48,000 miles. The guy selling it was living on a sail boat with his wife and was getting ready to move to Florida. He said it was setting in storage for over 2 years. $25,000 was his asking price and after seeing what used with twice the miles was going for I offered $24,500 if he got front brakes pads, rotors and state inspection. Done deal and I picked it up 2 days later. What I liked about it was the all steel body. It didn't really need it but I removed all the surface rust on the frame. I did that plus a coat of Krud Kutter and 2 coats of paint and it looks like new. Here's a pick before I removed the STX decals.
KIMG1766.jpg

I see a lot of trucks that never get used as one and a lot of 4x4s that have never even been on a dirt road.
My truck has toolboxes mounted on the bed rails and a large center toolbox in the bed mounted against the back of the cab. Plus 2 toolboxes behind the seats where the jump seats are supposed to be. It's a 2wd 4 cylinder Chevy Colorado Work Truck and is used as such. It gets washed once a year when I take it to Krown Rustproofing. It's used as a means to get me and my tools to work and to carry anything I need to haul. I must admit that this is the nicest vehicle I have ever had. Most people that have a truck have no real need for one. They have made it more difficult and expensive for the people who actually use them as work vehicles...
0608201615.jpg

Don Lovel

Hunter
Went to take a look at some of the GMC 2500 pickups. Rolled by an entire row at dealer in the $100,000.00 + price range. Yes. 100 thousand plus.
Rolled out of dealer speechless.
I had a warranty item and 2 small recalls and a full new coils & plugs tuneup and 100k transmission service at GMC dealer last year. $145k Duramax and $162k Caddie SUV on the lot took the sting out of the $1200 work they did to mine to make it tìp top
My 2011 Sierra has 110k miles. I'm good.

redfernclan

Bearcat
Not a Lib and never have been a yuppie. Retired a couple of years ago and worked long and hard for what I have and have saved. Some of the newer options I truly believe make things safer. Adaptive cruise, auto braking when backing out of a parking spot, anti lock brakes and so on. yes it is more things to go wrong, that is the one reason O get an extended warranty. Turned wrenches and was in the maintenance field for over 40 years and I don't know about others, but I just don't want to work on this stuff anymore. I want to drive my truck in nasty weather and have the traction control kick in when needed. I don't drive or see as well as I used to and the last thing I want is an accident. To each his own. I can afford it so I'm pulling the trigger on my last truck I'll own.
If I want to mess with points and carburetors, there is a 69 Firebird calling my name.
Funny thing is, the newer generations would be lost with a duel point distributer or even a set of drum brakes.
Again, to each his own.