No. 3 forend starting to split

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a No 3 in 22 Hornet and noticed a split in the forend. I have not dropped the rifle and doubt I would have missed that split at the time of purchase. I don't know why it developed. The recoil of that cartridge is really low, should I just continue to shoot it or is there a way to preserve the wood? Numrich does not have any replacements in stock. Would a replacement cost the same as a gunsmith repair?

Attachments

• Forend Split R.jpg
    Forend Split R.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 74

Johnnu2

Hunter
I repaired a forend crack; however it was down the center (from front to rear) and easier to gently separate by hand. I used Sinbad glue applied from the inside. Done deal. This stuff works.

J.

It is actually a "glue" type substance that you mix 2 equal parts together. Like a fiberglass type of mixture. When used properly, that "glued" part will not break at that point again. However, the crack/gap has to be large enough, such as split apart, to put it back together. You then clamp it to set.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
A very simple fix for cracks like that is Super Glue. I use the cheap stuff (2 or 3 bucks for three tubes) from Harbor Freight and have never had a re-crack.
The biggest point of ease is the way it weeps all the way in. You do need to remove the stock so it will not go all the way thru, so glue does not leak into the gun. Put masking or packing tape close to the edge of the crack so excess can be removed easily and refinishing kept to a minimum.
Put some in the crack, it will sink down, wait a few minutes put more in. Keep doing it till crack is full. Wait 5 minutes and raise level to higher than the wood . After you work it back down to flush the repair will look like a black line, can't be helped. As yuur crack seems to follow the grain that should not be a problem.
O Yeah, wear surgical gloves !! One little goof and your glued to the gun.

Latest posts