No 1 Rechamber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tarbe

Bearcat
I have been messing with belted magnums since about 1974...and the truth is, I don't really care for the belted case. I seem to get a lot better case life out of rimmed and rimless cases, even when keeping pressures in line on the belted cases.

I happened to luck into 450 new Norma 375 Flanged Magnum Nitro Express cases and can't stop thinking about having my No 1 in 375 rimless belted converted over to Flanged.

Anyone here ever do that, or know of anyone who has?

Looking at the cases it seems like I might have to set the barrel back about a quarter inch, ream it, and of course modify the extractor to a rimmed affair.

I realize this is not exactly practical....but what else am I going to do with $1,200 worth of brass? :)

JSB30

Bearcat
I barreled an original 1885 Winchester to 375 H&H. Extraction was hard to work out so cut about three threads off of barrel and rechambered to 375 Flanged Nitro Mag , worked well . With a Ruger the rib would be a problem. Barrel would have to be indexed correctly and rib would have to be shortened on the rear.

tarbe

Bearcat
I couldn't find the rim dimensions for the flanged cartridge. Is there room for the ejector?
Yes. The 375 Flanged fits perfectly in the 45-70 shell holder and we know the 45-70 runs in a No 1. I also had a No 1 in 450-400 NE and that rim is even larger than the 45-70....which is a little larger than the 375 Flanged rim.