No. 1 in 220 Swift

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
Due to deteriorating health, my uncle and aunt are moving to California to live with their daughter. I volunteered to hold on to uncle's guns until his son can claim them if he wants to. On rifle is a NO. 1 in 220 Swift, with red buttpad, serial number 132-23xxx. It's in excellent condition. It was purchased in 1983 for $299.88. Is this a desirable caliber?

RSIno1

Hunter
You'll find No1 fans for every caliber they built. Depending on model some calibers are rare and command a premium. Most 220 Swifts were done in 1V. Most No1s are in great shape. Generally they see little use by most owners. Numero Uno on here is the resident No1 authority. CA laws are tricky. If he brings any guns with him he has x days to register them - fill out form on line or mail in with the fee. He can transfer them to children or grandchildren without the requirement to visit an FFL or wait 10 days. They will need to fill out a transfer paper and pay a fee to the state (They will also need a gun safety card). Guns bring premium prices in CA - big numbers for off roster handguns. If there are ones his kids don't want he should consider bringing them to the starving CA gun market.

RSIno1

Hunter
toysoldier said:
There's no problem with California gun laws. He's leaving them with me in Kansas; his son lives in Arizona.

to comply with the requirements of federal law, a person receiving a gift of firearms from out-of-state should have the person giving the gift ship the firearms to a FFL where the recipient can proceed with the transfer process.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
toysoldier said:
Due to deteriorating health, my uncle and aunt are moving to California to live with their daughter. I volunteered to hold on to uncle's guns until his son can claim them if he wants to. One rifle is a NO. 1 in 220 Swift, with red buttpad, serial number 132-23xxx. It's in excellent condition. It was purchased in 1983 for $299.88. Is this a desirable caliber?

It was for me. I wasn't so much looking for a No1 or inclined to buy (another) one but the caliber talked me into it. The red buttpad may attract a buyer as well as the caliber. But so far as being low production or a valuable combination I'd say there's nothing unique about the caliber and rifle. Aside from liking the cartridge, I think the 220 Swift in the No1 is an excellent combination - fast as heck meets pretty as heck.

Good wood would help the desirability or "sale-ability" too, so to speak.