No. 1 45-70 Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

markn30135

Single-Sixer
Hi, I have obtained a neglected No. 1S in 45-70, I am interested in who might convert this into a true unicorn, the .284 Winchester, same barrel profile and factory finish, thoughts/referals welcome.

Mark

rangerbob

Buckeye
Rebarreling a #1 is not that difficult, but profiling the barrel to match the #1S profile could be costly. A new extractor. front swivel, and front sight base would need to be acquired and installed, as well. An easier way would be to acquire a #1A in 7mm-08 and simply rechamber it. Of course, rebarreling allows for different lengths and choice of manufacturer. You might contact E R Shaw for the project. Bob! :D

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
I would suspect that you have the 22" model.

With that said, barrel makers like Lilja have a mulitude of custom and factory tapers in their data bases............usually if the taper is in their system, no charge. If not...........30-50 bucks one time gets it put in. Of course, a gunsmith can taper a blank to whatever you want, but can be costly because he does not want to do it....the tapering himself........time and effort is up there on a manual machine.

The parts from your existing barrel might be able to be reused...........some issues with say the band and banded front sight....but certainly the quarter rib is. One might argue about putting in the two studs for the quarter rib with 4 8-36 screws there too.

The parts you "might" need are generally available from Brownell's or Ruger themselves. The extractor is a 10 dollar part, you will need the standard 473 one, the barrel band and front banded sight are there too. Your sight insert, brass bead probably and plunger/spring are of course reusable.

I have found over the years that a simplistic slow rust blue(Laurel Mountain solution) does match pretty well the black hot blue of the No.1........in my opinion of course.

I suspect you are looking for a turn key approach, as most do not do their own work anymore. I have read a lot some on these guys from time to time for No.1's rebarreled at reasonable pricing:

Nonneman Custom Rifles

No personal referral here, just a place I see mentioned time to time.

The No.1 to be rebarreled with a blank can be pricey depending on who you use. Computer searches for No.1 rebarreling will show page after page of references to peruse and ponder. The Ruger No.1 has a lot of labor in rebarreling, as the extractor recess is clocked as is the barrel appendages. Kinda like a pre64 model 70 in labor kinda.........

fwiw

markn30135

Single-Sixer
Lots of good information, I wish that I could do all the work myself! Has anyone used Nonneman Custom Rifles?

Latest posts