No. 1 .357 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44rugerr

Single-Sixer
Can anyone provide info on a #1 in .357 mag. Was looking for a #3 in .44mag, but found this one. It is marked limited edition on the receiver. My reference books do not list one chambered for .357 mag.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Since it appears that you are relatively new here, you are probably not aware of previous threads about the California Highway Patrol commemorative. You can do a search and you will find these threads. At any rate, there were supposedly 1800 of the CHP marked rifles produced and an unknown (but surmised to be <250) number of unmarked "overrun" rifles made wihtout the CHP markings.
Obviously, the unmarked guns are more collectible and worth more than the marked ones. I have not seen any of these go for more than $900-1000 in unfired NIB condition, and the used ones go for a couple hundred less.
I have had an unmarked one with the box that I bought new in 1984, but have not shot it in several years. It is now part of my "official" #1 "collection".
A marked gun in used condition with no box should not go for more than $700 in the current market IMO.

Here's one to watch if you're really interested:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =151017890

Ewalker

Bearcat
gewehrfreund how does your #1 shoot? Just curious I have been thinking of getting a .357 in a rifle.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I did a fair amount of load testing over the years, but never shot much factory ammo in mine. Off the top of my head, it did well with 140 gr Speer FP or HP, the old Rem. 150 gr Ptd SP shot well and it really likes 180 gr Speer or Hornady SP, all with full charges of Reloder 7. Have also had some luck with 4227, and limited success with AA5744.
I have been meaning to try Lil' Gun in my 357s, but have not done that yet - it mgiht be a very good choice too, especially in a rifle.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
mattsbox99":km0v02ri said:
I'd bore that one out to .357 Max!

Everyone seems to say that about this special issue #1 and I always like hearing that - it makes my unaltered gun worth that much more! :D
[b]IF[/b] I were going to rechamber one of these, I'd certainly go for something more powerful and interesting like a 358 Win. or 356 Win. You can always load down; it's harder to push things beyond their limit

picketpin

Buckeye
gewer: The problem with simply punching it out is that the barrel is for the 357 revolver ie the twist rate is awfully slow for stabalizing any rifle cartridge at any reasonable velocity or bullet weight.

If they were less exspensive of course a guy could just re-barrel it.

There is one on GB right now that started low and is staying in the "shooter" price range. It's also the first realistic CHP seller I've seen in ages. ;-)

the best

Ross

Redstick

Single-Sixer
I've seen a couple #1's in .357 Magnum recently and I'm wondering if it would be alright to shoot .353 Cassul in this rifle???
Anyone know FOR SHORE?

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'm not familiar with the 353 Casull, but I'm sure a #1 could handle it whatever it is.
Ross - You're right, the twist rate could be a problem, which would probably limit you to not much over 200 grains. My 357 handles the 200 grain silouette or RN bullets without any problem. I've never tried the 225 grain and up bullets meant for the rifle cartridges. It would still be fun to experiment with even if you could only drive 200 grain bullets at 2500+fps.
Regards
Lance

Ewalker

Bearcat
I got busy yesterday did anyone keep up with the one on gunbroker? If so what did it bring?

Latest posts