NM Vaquero vs. OM Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat
This has to have been covered but unable to find via search my question.

Is there a majority in favor of the old or the new model and why? Reading here the quality control at Ruger is lacking now but there is also a size difference.

maxpress

Buckeye
i like my om's

1 stronger
2 hand filling (have to order oversised grips on the nm)
3 fit
4 acurracy (debatable if the nm fits your hand better)
5 balance
6 my reloading equip is mostly .44

the new models are lighter and more packable

claydoctor

Bearcat
I like them both. I bought a New Vaquero 7 1/2 stainless and then came across an Old Model at a gunshow and bought it. I like the fact that the newer ones are more Colt-like and they have tried to hide the stupid "warning" under the barrel. On the other hand, new case colors on my Old Model Vaquero are very pleasant and on the New Vaqueros I have seen, they look wretched, which is why, I guess, they have gone to all blue. Also, my New Vaquero fits all my holsters and the Old Vaquero only fits some.

we all have our "favorites" yes, the "New Vaquero is very "pleasant",but the old Vaquero, is built like a brick outhouse and can really take the 'pounding' if you like to load ,like a rocket scientist....and thus is beefier, bulkier, heftier, as it was intended then , to be...............seems like the 'cowboy' shooters have prevailed, and as I said, I happen to like it 'better', now...just MY .02 cents......so as 'maxpress' noted, his liking the .44 mag...the only way for him to go...... went...... :roll:

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
First, the "old" Vaqueros are not called old Vaqueros, simply Vaqueros. The New vaqueros are bult on a 4/5 size frame and will not hold up to the "Ruger & Freedom Arms Only" loads like the Vaquero will. They will in fact hold up to the same loads as the Colts, Ubertis, and other SAA knock-offs.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Of course, many believe that the New Vaquero is an improvement - in .357 - being a better match of frame size and cartridge than was the Vaquero .357 built on .44 frame. It's too bad Ruger didn't find the economics conducive to offering both.

I'm also one who likes the new/old XR3 gripframe better than the XR3-RED, at least in most cases.

Gain one thing, lose another.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
The New Vaqueros use the new indexing "plunger" for lack of a better term. This allows the cylinder to to align its self correctly when the loading gate is open. On the Vaquero you will need to add a half cock hammer or go to a free spin pawl or not turn the cylinder too far (if it clicks you went too far).

Don't use "Ruger only" loads in the 45colt New Vaquero but standard loads work fine. There are several folks really happy about their smaller framed 44 specials but it seems the smaller framed New Vaquero in 45 get's looked down on some for not being able to handle the hot loads.

I have handled a New Vaqueros and I like the size. Would love to have one in the Montado configuration with a 45acp cylinder :) Course I aint given up my Vaqueros either :)

Kevin Keith

Bearcat
Cosmetically speaking, I can't stand the hammer on the NVs. I do like the XR3 frame. I don't like that the NV .45s can't take the Ruger only loads.

Rex Driver

Bearcat
I have both models in 357 and like both with perhaps a little edge going to the NMV. I now have five of what I call my "Cowboy Guns", two NMV in stainless 4 5/8 and three Original Vaqueros in case with 4 5/5 barrels. I have found one cheap way to get all of the guns to sort of feel the same and that is to put new model black hawk cheese grader grips on my original vaqueros and that gives the grip about the same width of the NMV. I also plan on replacing the NMV hammers with original vaquero hammers and they should all be set.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Guys, I am actually in favor of using the terms "Old Vaquero" and "New Vaquero".

But PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, leave out the word "model" in either.

Ruger SAs made prior to the 1973 transfer bar guns are known as "old model". And the Ruger Old Army percussion guns internally use "old model" lockwork.

Every Ruger SA made from 1973 forward has the "new model" transfer bar action. Including the Old Vaquero, New Vaquero, etc.

"Old model Vaquero" described a gun that never existed: a factory fixed-sight pre-1973 Ruger SA.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
+1 on using accurate terms to describe these sixguns.

Also, in regards to the original post on this thread, I don't think anyone has expressed a concern that the quality control on the New Vaquero is, in any way inferior to the original large framed Vaquero. The general consensus seems that the mid-framed Rugers including the NV and the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk .357mag and Lipsey's .44spl are of a consistently good quality.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I agree on using accurate terminology...I'll just call 'em by what's stamped right there on the frame.

deac45

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I'll just call 'em by what's stamped right there on the frame.

An incredibly sensible and simple solution. Alas, one which seems in short supply in the neverending discussion over Vaquero terminology.

Like they say in the Guiness commercial, "Brilliant!".

Bearcat
Thanks for all the info. I have a pair of consecutive numbered 44mag 4 5/8 inch OM or just old Vaqueros. I load med to light for practice 200 swc over 7.5g or so titegroup. And have some screaming 240 swc loads that are just fun to shoot. Can't quite get my aim point on the front sight with hot loads.

Thought about acquiring a third long barrel but think would be undesirable having a full load pair and lite version.

gak

Buckeye
I have both frames...357 in it's proper (mid) frame--that desperately wants to grow up to be a .44 Special (and another '57 in Montado/same frame)..and the .44 mag in its proper (and only) frame. I confess that I'd be torn with a .45..maybe getting the old Vaquero in a 4-5/8 or 5.5 max..just so you "could" put some hot loads in...and getting a Montado for lighter shooting and packing on certainly most of the trails Az has to offer. We have a pretty good population of black bears, but they're (generally) reclusive and attacks rare. If I camp in bear country, the .44 goes along with the .357 as BUG. Big cats more a possible trail-encounter issue and I wouldn't feel undergunned at all with one of the '57s.

maxpress

Buckeye
i guess i dont have issue with the .45 being hotrodded cause i have never seen anything in my area that wouldnt fall to a 250gr slug at 900-1000fps. within 50yrds. i can get more range out of a .44 and its fun to hit the 150 yard gong at the range.

yeah i wish they woulda just used the smaller frame for the .357 but i guess they had to make an executive dessision. seems a shame to not be using all that equipment they had set up for the original vaqueros though. i do like the packability of my .45 nv.

i want that montado .45 also but with a bird head frame

Rex Driver

Bearcat
JimMarch1":2kqjofx3 said:
Guys, I am actually in favor of using the terms "Old Vaquero" and "New Vaquero".

But PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, leave out the word "model" in either.

Ruger SAs made prior to the 1973 transfer bar guns are known as "old model". And the Ruger Old Army percussion guns internally use "old model" lockwork.

Every Ruger SA made from 1973 forward has the "new model" transfer bar action. Including the Old Vaquero, New Vaquero, etc.

"Old model Vaquero" described a gun that never existed: a factory fixed-sight pre-1973 Ruger SA.

Jim, sorry for my misuse of the term model, my problem is that I tend not to get too caught up in the Semantics of the hobby of collecting and shooting, I tend to spend too much time reloading and shooting. You call it Tomato and I will call it to-mat-o and I hope we will both understand what the other is talking about.

29 Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
I like both the Vaquero and the NV's.
It would be nice to still have the option to have both available from Ruger, but I'm sure that will not happen.

The Vaquero in .44 is a perfect fit for me. Once I found one with the rollmark under the barrel, that is all it took to convince me that if Ruger had made that simple change and continued the production run of Vaquero's it would have made many folks happy.

The NV was the right move at the right time for Ruger. Now just make them with the Birdshead grip frame, I'll stand in line for a couple of them.

claydoctor

Bearcat
It may be a sign of the "new Ruger" that they are getting into black guns, hiding the warning on the barrel, etc. I can just hear the lawyer for the plaintiff, however, when the first idiot has an accidental discharge and shoots himself in the leg. "So, Mr. Ruger, you used to have this warning on the side of the barrel where it was easy to find but you say that your company purposely moved it to under the barrel where my client would have a more difficult time finding it, is that correct?"