NM Vaquero vs. OM Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

andyo5

Single-Sixer
claydoctor":3lycuhy6 said:
It may be a sign of the "new Ruger" that they are getting into black guns, hiding the warning on the barrel, etc. I can just hear the lawyer for the plaintiff, however, when the first idiot has an accidental discharge and shoots himself in the leg. "So, Mr. Ruger, you used to have this warning on the side of the barrel where it was easy to find but you say that your company purposely moved it to under the barrel where my client would have a more difficult time finding it, is that correct?"

Nowadays, Mr. Ruger would be unavailable for questioning. I think the prosecution would have to accept his excuse.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I've had new Vaqueros ,old Vaqueros, and old new Vaqueros but have never had a New Vaquero, a new New Vaquero or an old New Vaquero.
Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but I had to read that more than once. :)

piratedude

Single-Sixer
The New Vaquero is a natural reaction to America's aging population and to a more diverse population which recognizes and embraces gay rights. The lighter weight of the New Vaq and the low recoil of "cowboy" action rounds are more appropriate for the elderly or those with particularly limp wrists.

I prefer the Older Model myself though. Despite the fact that it is neither elderly nor gay friendly, I like the extra weight and strength of the older model and still allow myself to shoot high power rounds on occasion even though I recognize that Barrack Obama probably does not approve of such weapons.

Still though... what do they say the New Vaq is, I suppose, change that you can believe in.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Wow, I never realized that my Colt SAA's and similarly sized sixguns made me limp wristed or gay. All this time I thought I liked girls. :roll:

maxpress

Buckeye
piratedude said:
The New Vaquero is a natural reaction to America's aging population and to a more diverse population which recognizes and embraces gay rights. The lighter weight of the New Vaq and the low recoil of "cowboy" action rounds are more appropriate for the elderly or those with particularly limp wrists.
find myself thinking of all those elderly, gay cowboys shooting original "weak" single-action army revolvers

i had never heard from an old gay cowboy before but i guess if thats what you guys want than more power to you.

i still think ruger went this route because the dress up and shoot guys wanted as close to a colt as they could get but not everybody has $1600 laying around to buy an original colt. even if they did there wouldnt be enough supply to go around.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
i still think ruger went this route because the dress up and shoot guys wanted as close to a colt as they could get but not everybody has $1600 laying around to buy an original colt.

And I think that Ruger has stated exactly that from the beginning, that they made changes to accomodate what they perceived to be the wishes of their biggest market. BTW I am not a CAS shooter and I do sorta wish the large-framed Vaquero was still manufactured but I can certainly understand Ruger's reasoning. They do still manufacture Blackhawks, after all.

gak

Buckeye
...And the NV in .357 makes more sense overall anyway for any (fixed-sight) use. Don't like the grips or grip size? Small sacrifice--smooth 'em or change 'em. Most folks end up changing grips out whatever they get.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Yes, Ruger was answering the perceived need of the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd when they concieved of the New Vaquero. I remember it clearly, and I used to shoot with a CAS shooter who was a line engineer for Ruger at the time. That is the straight poop. Many CAS shooters were clamoring for a Colt sized single action Ruger. I don't think there is any need to get nasty about it or make scurilous remarks, Ruger was just responding to what they thought was their biggest market. Most cowboy shooters will buy at least a pair of matching revolvers, many buy several pairs. That's where the numbers are. Most comments I have seen on this board run along the lines of somebody wanting one, or maybe two single actions at the most. Cowboy shooters sometimes have 2 or 3 matched pairs. I have a matched pair of New Vaqueros that my wife shoots, a pair of Stainless 'original model' Vaqueros that go with me to every match as backups for my Colts, and another blued 'original model' Vaquero that mostly sits in the safe these days, plus my Blackhawk that I bought way back around 1975. And that's just the Rugers.

Of course, human nature being what it is, as soon as Ruger decided to stop producing the 'original model' Vaquero just as many CAS shooters started clamoring for the Big Ones as are asking for them here. We were all caught by surprise when Ruger decided to stop producing the 'original model' Vaquero.

As far as 'limp wristed' and all that is concerned, I don't need to thump my chest, but my little pansy Colts are quite a handfull when loaded with 250 grain bullets in front of a case full of FFg Black Powder, which is the way I always shoot them. I sometimes shoot my stainless 'original model' Vaqueros that way too, but being so much heavier, they are better for limp wristed types who are afraid of a little bit of recoil from the original loading of the 45 Colt.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I dunno...maybe Ruger still has the makings to fairly easily produce the large-framed Vaquero and perhaps, as demand builds, they will, from time to time, issue limited runs of large-frame calibers in a Vaquero format. Of course, they would probably name it the "Super Vaquero" or something, prompting another whole nomenclature debate.

Bearcat
I find OM Vaqueros and even birdshead OM Vaqueros on gunbroker. they sell at a premium and I'd much rather pay less.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I never considered myself limp wristed, gay, or elderly (not yet anyway). I do like Colt SAA's, Ruger New Vaqueros. I also like Vaqueros and even FA BIG BOOMERS!

Maybe that makes me one of them there "switch hitters"? :lol:

Rex Driver

Bearcat
BIgMuddy":6ksu8af9 said:
I never considered myself limp wristed, gay, or elderly (not yet anyway). I do like Colt SAA's, Ruger New Vaqueros. I also like Vaqueros and even FA BIG BOOMERS!

Maybe that makes me one of them there "switch hitters"? :lol:

I have never been of the mind to allow anybody to decide who or what I am, ergo, "Piratedude's" assumption of why people shoot cowboy or any other type of shooting sports is complete irrelevent to me. I do, however, think it sad that a person who reports himself to be a gun owner would put down other gun owners who happen to have other interest than that he seems to like. With people like Piratedude attacking other shooters, the anti gun people must be laughing because we are assisting them in their quest to rid themself of gun owners. People, think before you speak, a legal gun owner is a legal gun owner, whether he ownes flame throwing boomers, pipsqueak calibers, single actions or fully autos.

Remember, together we stand, devided we fall.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Here's my contribution to this thread.

Two fixed sight Ruger S.A.'s. One's bigger than the other....

268537866.jpg

One is rollmarked Ruger Vaquero and, by golly, the other is rollmarked Ruger New Vaquero. Gee, I guess those terms would be a simple way to make reference to these particular examples of Ruger's Single Action revolvers.

I don't shoot either one since I like Single-Sixes, Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. You know, the ones with adjustable sights?

:D

flatgate

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I think Piratedude was having a bit of fun. Why else would a guy that wears a scarf and frilly shirt (pirate right?) make such accusations :D

Latest posts