NM SBH Grip Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
I just bought my first Super Blackhawk, made in 1997. I really like the larger size of the SBH grip frame over the BH. But an even larger grip frame would be better for me.
SuperBlackhawk2.jpg

SuperBlackhawk1.jpg

So here's what I'm wondering. Will a Bisley grip frame fit the SBH? I've been trying to find the answer by searching this forum. I think it will fit but I'm still a bit confused.

Tom

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Yes! All the single action grip frames can be interchanged. If you stick with the SBH hammer and use the Bisley grip frame, you'll have a larger open hammer slot than now though. You'll also need to change the upper grip frame screws to the hex head ones for the Bisley too.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
here's a list of the parts needed
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26133

here's a nice tutorial
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27725

now, i will add ONE thing to what blkhawk73 stated. I believe this to be true:

There is a date where blackhawks/Super Blackhawks had small/lower ears on the back of the frame than their bisley counterparts. meaning that you had to "weld up" (meaning make higher) the back of the frame to help meet up with the bisley grip frame.

I'm not sure of the year/date........but after that date, all the ears between the bisleys and BH's/SBHs were close to the same allowing it to be much easier to fit a bisley grip frame.

I wish I could remember that date..........hopefully somebody will chime in.

actually it's mentioned in one of the links i provided. here's the quote

From the RENE Reference:

"Between late 1996 and early 1999 (s/n range 47-82611 to 47-95xxx) the hammer contour and the rear of the cylinder frame was changed slightly to accomodate a higher contour at the top of the backstrap (to standardize fitting of Bisley and Blackhawk grip frames).".

Prior to that change, Bisley and standard Blackhawk guns had two different cylinder frames

hope the links help and Welcome to the forum.
c.r.

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the quick and knowledgable responses. Since mine is a 1997 year, it should match up with a Bisley grip frame without much fitting. All I have to do is start saving up my nickles and dimes.

Thanks for the welcome. This is a great forum. Seems I'm slowly becoming a Ruger kind of guy. I have or have had a Security Six, Blackhawk, Redhawk, Super Blackhawk, SP101, and a Mk I.

G2

Hunter
You can also get some SILE Oversized grip panels for it. I happen to have 2 pair that are new and still have the original boxes if your interested drop me a line and I can get you a picture. Sell you a pair for $25 or how about both for $30, can't beat that deal.

Definitly takes those Super's to Super Super's.