NM S/A Grip Advice Needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wood grips carved by a 2nd grader beat the black plastic things.....
In my experience, the sharp recoil generated by the magnum cartridge turns those "checkered" things into skin shredders.........

.44 Specials fired in this particular ol' Flattop were "not fun".
43821280.jpg

275 grain bullets at 1000 fps are FUN in this gun.
12401192.jpg

Just My Humble Opinion,

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with Flatgate. In fact,, I got a few of the newest models of Rugers this year and the 44 Spl Nm plastic grips didn't feel too good in my hands. (And I'm the kind of guy who likes to leave things as factory as I can unless it's a serious carry/shooting gun.)
Anyway,, I made my own grips for my few NM's and they are soooo much more fun to shoot now.

Hokie73

Bearcat
The plastic grips are molded with the back side marked so you can drill them to use the lock. I am betting that, and cost, is why Ruger has gone to them. I hate them. I even changed them out on my Single Six as soon as possible.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I actually kind of like the looks of the grips on new Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Flattop and my new Ruger .44 Lipsey Special. They look a bit like the old Colt hard rubber grips. However, they don't fit me at all. They don't abrade the skin but they sure don't fill out my hands.

If I had my druthers, I would buy either a set of Hogue's Rubber grips or Pachmayr's. However, neither make them to fit and it appears that they probably won't :roll: . I really don't want to put out a couple of hundred dollars a piece just to find out that the new ones don't either. Hopefully, in the next few weeks I'll get to try someone's grips and see if I can get a fit.

In the meantime, I can curl my little finger under the grip and "grin and bear it" :D .

Dale53

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
You can Call Hogue directly and they can make any type of wood grip you would like. Yes you will have to wait a bit but they do good work. And do not charge that much more for some custom stuff over normal price.

I called this last week for some new Grips for my Ruger Bisley in Ebony. I had them change them a bit and they added only $10.oo over normal price.

one eye joe

Bearcat
Hey Hittman, I have a coupla sets of factory Walnut grips that will fit your revolver. They're not perfect but are very nice with some very minor handling marks. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you pics. I will sell them for less than factory replacement grips which are no longer made in Walnut....................one eye joe

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I think it has been discussed before, but the single action grip allows the gun to roll up in your hand. By adding grips that prevent this (rubber, checkered, and so on) causes irritation to the hand. Put on some smooth grips and let it roll :)

EDK

Single-Sixer
If you are within driving distance of Chicago, EAGLE GRIPS will usually fit a set of grips WHILE YOU WAIT. Their GUNFIGHTER model are especially comfortable...and available in buffalo horn, walnut, rosewood or their ivory substitue, ULTRA IVORY, all of them checkered or smooth. HINT; Get the smooth ones...especially on anything larger than a .32!

CaryC makes some excellent grips and is a regular here. I have several sets of elk stag grips from stag-grips.com who sells on gunbroker or from his shop in Buffalo Wyoming...I stop in and look on my way to the QUIGLEY rifle shoot in Montana

Dale53

Blackhawk
hittman;
I received a care package from "WhatCheer" and inside was a pair of Pachmayr grips for a Colt Single Action Army. They were not a perfect fit but fit pretty dern good. Most importantly, they fit ME! Man, do they work fine for me.

I have had some nice targets since I fitted them and they have removed ALL of the pain for me. The Pachmayr code is "CSA" on the box. Unfortunately, Pachmayr no longer offers these, either. However, there are still some "out there". I suggest checking Ebay, Gun Broker, and the local gun shows. When they turn up, grab 'em.

They have a filler behind the trigger guard and cover the back strap. My hands are rather large and I would get my knuckle rapped, HARD, every time I fired a shot with my .44 Lipsey Special (let alone my 50th Anniversary .44 magnum) :cry: Be careful, tho'. They are a one piece grip and sometimes you will find them torn apart and they are worthless when in two pieces.

Dale53

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I like the "look" of the new black checkered hard rubber grips, but single action revolvers are designed (by Sam Colt) to move in your hands under recoil. They rotate upward and allow your thumb to be in position to cock the hammer again.

Smooth grips allow this movement without abrading your hand.

I'm a big fan of Cary C's handles. I've got lots of custom grips on all my handguns but Cary's are the best. www.clccustomgrips.com

Here are the two sets of birdseye maple I bought from Cary. He finishes the end of the screw and provides an aluminum spacer for between the panels so you can't overtighten the screw and crack the wood. First rate!

Ruger023.jpg

XMAS005.jpg

Latest posts