NM RSA OEM Ruger Trigger Spring Rate?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Search function is inop for the forum at the moment of posting. No joy from web search.

What is the spring rating for the OEM Ruger factory trigger spring used in NM RSAs?

Wolff has both 30 oz and 40 oz. Read somewhere that a single leg of the OEM spring is greater than 30 oz. I have unhooked a leg and find that almost suitable but wish to install a complete spring. Do have and tried a 30 oz spring and feel that is too light. So, yes I will source a 40 oz soon for comparison.

I am also aware of the technique of bending the trigger spring. Will try that as well. Do have a little concern that it might upset spring preload function.

Hammer spring is original (23 pounds?) and do not wish to alter at this time though I have 17, 18 and 19 pound springs on hand.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I'd go to the source.

Have you called Ruger or use the email option on their website to get an answer?

If you have a trigger pull scale or get one, you can measure the trigger pull with different springs installed in the same gun to get the "relative difference" in pull weights with each spring. Because of course the actual pounds of pull you measure will only apply to the gun you measured them in.

You could call Wolff to find out how they measure their spring weights, then measure a Ruger spring in the same manner. They may also know the Ruger spring rate.

SAJohn

Hunter
Doing the trigger spring bending and then polishing the sear contact surfaces have always yielded me a 3 + or- lb smooth trigger pull on new models. I do not do the unhooked spring trick nor the toothpaste job.

John

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
What trigger scale would be preferred? Looking at the Wheeler electronic in the $45 range. As I find time to mess more with firearms (rifle and handguns), might be a convenient tool.

Currently using a rigged laboratory digital scale (resembles a 5" kitchen table-top scale, retains peak force/weight, and can average) with a fabricated hardwood dowel fixture to span from trigger to scale face. Works as a temporary solution for handguns, but somewhat awkward in use.

Have not ventured into any sear work but did successfully modify a Ruger trigger to work with a Power Custom half-cock hammer.